Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by sneakydave »

Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:34 pm It's funny, but I feel like it has been a really important week. On Monday we learned that Dugpa is closing, then this situation with Cannes provided us with quite an emotional rollercoaster, and finally tomorrow we're all switching to Tulpa... I feel like this week will remain in my memory. I've spent most of it at least partially glancing at these pages.
I've been off work this week and have spent the majority of my time on here. It's been fun. As soon as the thread is open over on Tulpa for this chat to continue, I'll be in there straight away with more nonsense.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

I could maybe .... just MAYBE (not ready to convert back from skeptic just yet) .... see the events Dud sketched out. It's just ... couldn't he still screen it anyway? Wouldn't it be great publicity for the series like TP being shown at Cannes before? Yes, I know there might be rights issues, and yes I know TP aired on Showtime previously before Cannes - but surely any streamer/network would be delighted by the publicity of having their first two episodes/pilot whatever viewed at Cannes. Okay, so maybe Lynch decided to convert it back into a series - okay, maybe. Still seems shaky, though. Possibly plausible but just ... worried it might be wishful thinking.

This all brings us back to - did Lynch film anything? Could he have kept it secret? Wouldn't he have been spotted (not just rumoured, but filmed/spotted/photographed) if filming on location in 2019 or whenever?
There is admittedly LOTS of smoke but during filming of Season 3 credible stuff still leaked out - he was seen on location and filmed. We even saw what ended up being the final scene on Periscope! Yet this time around we have Wisteria posts on social media and lots of "claims" about him and other actors "maybe" being spotted in Snoqualmie in an age of smartphones where everything is filmed. Not even footage of him entering a studio in LA - and we did hear a real report of something like that it turned out to be him colour correcting a re-release of MD/IE/LH. I'm just not buying that a single photo of him on set or entering a studio or actors/props going/being delivered to his house - something - would have leaked in this day and age. All the leaks we have are very shaky compared to the ones during filming of S3. So, yes, lots of smoke - but it's all as ephemeral as smoke too, which makes me doubt he pulled off anything other than a Rabbits-style shoot in secrecy.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sneakydave wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:42 pm I've been off work this week and have spent the majority of my time on here. It's been fun.
Same here - and it has been a lot of fun but I'm a bit pissed off with myself too as last Saturday I got an amazing 5,000 words written on my new manuscript in one day. I was planning to spend all this week writing, aiming for 2,000-5,000 words a day. But instead I spent all my time on here and on tulpa. It was fun - but I could have been sitting on 10,000 - 20,000 words. I guess a forum you've been a part of for 15 years only closes down once so I'll let myself off the hook a bit as long as I get back to writing soon and make up for the lost progress. (Think Lynch will feel bad for me and hire me as co-writer or even to write one episode if I tell him I lost all this progress? :wink: Would be a dream come true! 8))
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

New Deadline interview with Thierry Frémaux up. I love that Variety is the "good cop" and Deadline is the "bad cop" in this Cannes stuff:
DEADLINE: There will be a few additions next week, right?

FRÉMAUX: Yes, especially French cinema because some things were late, as always. It’s good to be able to deliver the majority and then to work all weekend and re-look at things and give them another appraisal…

DEADLINE: Any big names to be added?

FRÉMAUX: No. … We’re not waiting for a ghost movie from David Lynch [laughs]. I used to talk to David quite often and he has never mentioned anything like that.

DEADLINE: So there won’t be a Cannes Classics David Lynch entry or something else?

FRÉMAUX: No, nothing like that…We still need to confirm the Classics lineup in fact. We have almost 200 entries, which is incredible. We used to only get 15. It’s a real selection now and it’s complicated. It’s important to show movies from all over the world. Each country has their own masterpieces.
https://deadline.com/2022/04/cannes-lin ... rm=2082138
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:02 pm DEADLINE: Any big names to be added?

FRÉMAUX: No. … We’re not waiting for a ghost movie from David Lynch [laughs]. I used to talk to David quite often and he has never mentioned anything like that.
The question wasn't if he's waiting for a ghost movie.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Stavrogyn wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:34 pm It's funny, but I feel like it has been a really important week. On Monday we learned that Dugpa is closing, then this situation with Cannes provided us with quite an emotional rollercoaster, and finally tomorrow we're all switching to Tulpa... I feel like this week will remain in my memory. I've spent most of it at least partially glancing at these pages.
Love this post!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Reading that, you'd think he didn't make any claims himself
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:45 pm
Lol, ikr.

I really hope Variety's two sources weren't the two of them - but it's looking like it might have been all along. I was tempted to think it was the reporter "going rogue", but then Variety leaned into it. And why did Thierry Frémaux give them a "coy smile" but (seemingly) gave Deadline a pretty defiant rebuttal? Seems like after that "coy smile" he might have done the same but Variety conveniently left it out. I don't know, but I think Variety comes out looking the worst for this and very clickbait-y.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Jonah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:49 pm
Lol, ikr.
Yeah, it's quite silly he conveniently forgot the part where he ran with the early rumor on his blog saying he was CONVINCED it was Lynch.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:52 pm

Lol, ikr.
Yeah, it's quite silly he conveniently forgot the part where he ran with the early rumor on his blog saying he was CONVINCED it was Lynch.

"No, it’s not a TV series or any sort of short, I’m being told it’s a feature-length film. End of story. I do not know if it will be part of the official competition, but it’s Lynch, how can you deny the master a slot?"

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/4 ... mhs4wip9q8
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Lol, ikr.

I really hope Variety's two sources weren't the two of them - but it's looking like it might have been all along. I was tempted to think it was the reporter "going rogue", but then Variety leaned into it. And why did Thierry Frémaux give them a "coy smile" but (seemingly) gave Deadline a pretty defiant rebuttal? Seems like after that "coy smile" he might have done the same but Variety conveniently left it out. I don't know, but I think Variety comes out looking the worst for this and very clickbait-y.
Did you read the article? Ruimy states that Variety's sources weren't himself or Aftab. Or do you think he's lying?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Sticking by the story and the reporter. Like much Lynch coverage over the years, it could have been right at the time of print and then something could have changed.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1514699746715312143
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Jonah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:49 pm Same here - and it has been a lot of fun but I'm a bit pissed off with myself too as last Saturday I got an amazing 5,000 words written on my new manuscript in one day. I was planning to spend all this week writing, aiming for 2,000-5,000 words a day. But instead I spent all my time on here and on tulpa. It was fun - but I could have been sitting on 10,000 - 20,000 words.
You're a really prolific writer, Jonah! I will create a new thread about writing and creative endeavors on Tulpa, so we can continue our discussions. We have barely scratched the surface here, and I still haven't replied to Ickles, which I've been planning to do for weeks now.

As for the topic of this thread: why is Frémaux only now saying that there is no new Lynch project in any correlation with the Cannes Film Festival? If all of the parties involved in this are not lying, then I think they're not taking this seriously enough. Are they aware of what they're doing to us???
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:18 pm

Lol, ikr.

Did you read the article? Ruimy states that Variety's sources weren't himself or Aftab. Or do you think he's lying?
Yes, I read it last night and just looked again. I think I missed that bit in brackets.

I don't think he's lying, but how does he know who their sources are? He could just be assuming it wasn't him or the other guy, but it actually was. Or it could be deflection like conveniently forgetting to say how much he hyped it too. So, no, don't think he's lying. I think he's assuming they weren't the sources but they still very well could have been. The rest of the Variety article, including mentions of Dern and Watts, seems like it was cobbled together from other, older rumours, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the reporter saw the recent ones on Twitter and worldofreel, decided they were reliable enough and had good credentials and ran with it with a headline saying "predictions" and an article saying "rumours". That's what it seems like and is the easiest explanation. Of course, it's possible Variety has other sources and is sticking by them, but the "coy smile" feels like click bait especially when contrasted with the Deadline article.
Stavrogyn wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:23 am You're a really prolific writer, Jonah! I will create a new thread about writing and creative endeavors on Tulpa, so we can continue our discussions. We have barely scratched the surface here, and I still haven't replied to Ickles, which I've been planning to do for weeks now.

As for the topic of this thread: why is Frémaux only now saying that there is no new Lynch project in any correlation with the Cannes Film Festival? If all of the parties involved in this are not lying, then I think they're not taking this seriously enough. Are they aware of what they're doing to us???
Thanks Stavrogyn. I'm only prolific in small bursts. I can write 5,000 relatively decent words in one day, maybe even 10,000 if I really pushed myself, but most days I don't. I did manage to write two novels last summer in a 4-5 month period but only after I'd spent 7 years submitting the one novel (or series - two novels) and a couple of incomplete ones. So I always feel I'm playing catch up or trying to make up for lost time. If it wasn't for procrastination, rejection, dejection, laziness, lack of motivation and all those other not so fun bugabears, I would have written a lot more. As things stand, I wrote my first two novels by the age of 18 - yet struggled for well over ten years to finish another one, which I then got stuck in a loop sending out and revising for several more years (well, a planned series - I got the first 2 books finished and a plan for others) and it ended up not taking off after all that (until last summer when I wrote two and now I'm working on two more), whereas a lot of writers already have 5-10 published books during the same amount of time. So prolific ... not really, at least not as much as I'd like to be. My goal now is to produce several more novels (but it can be hard to stay motivated especially as thus far most of them have only come close, not been taken). Oh - and a new thread sounds great. I liked the one you started on here!

I don't think everyone takes rumours like this as seriously as us diehards, though maybe they do to some extent considering how much they blow up. Back to the worldofreel article for a moment - I got the impression they weren't (whether they were the sources used or not) expecting the media furor to blow up like that. When it comes to Lynch rumours, even after so very many recently that haven't panned out, people end up taking it very seriously, even the media. I think that sometimes surprises people.