Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:09 am I would assume that anything shot with the 4 million Studio Canal put up for Inland Empire,
after he decided to abandon Axxon N, probably was union also.
I’m not so sure about that. For instance, if it were a union production, would he have been permitted to act as his own cinematographer? (I’m honestly asking, I have no clue.)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 am
JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:09 am I would assume that anything shot with the 4 million Studio Canal put up for Inland Empire,
after he decided to abandon Axxon N, probably was union also.
I’m not so sure about that. For instance, if it were a union production, would he have been permitted to act as his own cinematographer? (I’m honestly asking, I have no clue.)
I don't know how these things work either, but Cuaron was his own cinematographer on Roma for Netflix recently. PTA was essentially the cinematographer on Phantom Thread and went without any credit whatsoever. If that helps at all, I don't know.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm Sorry, I missed your response. I think freedom is good yes, but I mean limitations in terms of the overall format of the show and story. As in, stories are played out over all the episodes and some reach a decent conclusion for all characters, including the lesser ones.

What do you mean by foreseeing a season 4 being being more visceral?
I guess I mean that since The Return was intentionally sprawling and meandering, I had thought that a follow-up would be tighter and more focused in the typical sense, and that it would therefore feel a bit more like Fire Walk With Me, tbh. Almost as if you cut The Return in half, in which case you'd be inevitably left with many of the more intense moments propulsively driving the narrative forward, even if the pacing was similarly glacial, at which point it would even more strongly resemble the thrust of recent films like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. But I have no idea what to think at this point.

Also, if we were to see a continuation of Part 18, I had thought things were going to get darker and more disorienting before they got better.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I would think the actors on Inland were paid some SAG minimum scale rate out of that 4 mill from Canal, when it became the intention of having a theatrical release, and not just mid 2000's web content, in order to be honorable. when I was saying union, I was thinking more of in-front-of-the-camera talent.

as regards camera and crew, yeah, that does seem iffy. a friend of mine who was a cameraman on The Bachelor, was always reporting the production company to the local IATSE or whatever for not paying union rates in LA county. I know they would look for things right outside LA to get the rates down for the camera crew.

I would think Inland probably got around IATSE, because no studio or network signatory was attached. just a guess.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LateReg wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:32 am
NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm Sorry, I missed your response. I think freedom is good yes, but I mean limitations in terms of the overall format of the show and story. As in, stories are played out over all the episodes and some reach a decent conclusion for all characters, including the lesser ones.

What do you mean by foreseeing a season 4 being being more visceral?
I guess I mean that since The Return was intentionally sprawling and meandering, I had thought that a follow-up would be tighter and more focused in the typical sense, and that it would therefore feel a bit more like Fire Walk With Me, tbh. Almost as if you cut The Return in half, in which case you'd be inevitably left with many of the more intense moments propulsively driving the narrative forward, even if the pacing was similarly glacial, at which point it would even more strongly resemble the thrust of recent films like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. But I have no idea what to think at this point.

Also, if we were to see a continuation of Part 18, I had thought things were going to get darker and more disorienting before they got better.

Part 18 has less sprawl of course. It's all Cooper in the odessa-verse. There are little things like Diane seeing the other Diane, where he's slightly out of orbit, but there's no million other vignettes , cutaways.

Inland initially had sprawl - scenes in Poland, the lost girl, Rabbits, Julia Ormand's character thread, and it all comes down to Dern mostly in the end. Mulholland too, Adam Kersher's thread, WInkies scene, the hitman, and then it all gets winnowed down to just Watts.

Because Unrecorded Night has 13 scripts, I would say it's got some sort of sprawl of multiple story threads, fragmented narrative. I don't think it's one actor holding down the fort, and having to be on the set everyday, and just their story. That seems hard to maintain for 13 hours. I would think the finale would probably like the third acts of Return, Inland, Mulholland, where it comes down to one character taking center stage. That's assuming it's all one narrative and not an anthology.

I think if a Netflix executive said to Lynch, 'all the stories and characters have to be resolved in this or no dice', he'd probably get pretty angry.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:53 am
Histeria wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:24 am
@underthefan, do you know if Netflix ever commission non-union productions? Or would their three-year SAG AFTRA deal prevent that?
fascinating question here ^ underthefan may understand it more than me. but I would think anything Netflix produces, would have to be a union shoot. particularly in Los Angeles county.

they could get around it by licensing a non union production maybe, that was financed by someone else. I dunno how DL worked this angle on Inland Empire. Anything he initially shot for his pay site was prob non union.

As Pinky pointed out, I think the notion of DL shooting stuff gonzo on the quiet in his house, What Did Jack Do/I Rabbits style is a possibility.
I can't say for sure but my best guess is that anything Netflix produced (i.e., financed) would have to a union production. In general, bigger budget productions always hire union cast and crew while low-budget/student films can hire non-union (and by bigger budget I mean anything above $10M).

On another note, I've been informed by trustworthy sources that at least two of the people who posted wisteria images were just having fun and have no inside knowledge of the production. To me, that only serves to confirm my personal decision to view any and all social media activity with a generous pinch of salt. I know some people will vehemently disagree with that, but I will remain cautious about anything social media related until there's a DKL confirmation.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

In thst case, Netflix is shooting something in-house in LA on 6th July for 1-3 days. They claim it's a docuseries true crime like "recreation".

They need a 2nd AD, gaffer, sprinter, make-up artist and some other roles.

Surely that has to be something promotional and not an actual delIverable. Not just non-union; but in-house true crime "reconstructions"? Eh. One of the ads even says "we might only need you for half a day."

Anyway. It's been a slow day, evidently. Another 1950s song with "let's rock every hour of the day" in the lyrics, though.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:20 amLol yeah, I've spent close to a decade trying to get one particular project off the ground when I sometimes think I should have given up after a year, two or three tops, so I know about loooooooooong waiting games (long stretches of despair and despondency, punctuated by optimism to keep you going)!
I know the feeling. :) Don't forget to review all the historic cases of later successful artists who went through decades or lifetimes of rejection to perk ya up!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Evil Robot Bill

Post by Evil Robot Bill »

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I follow Twin Peaks Archive but don't know if they're likely to have any insider info.

Could be just having fun with the "Trudy" typo, but still...

https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 0157485064
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Isn't Twin Peaks Archive Jerry Horne's thing? Betting he knows!
Evil Robot Bill

He's just clarified that it's a joke.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Heh. No it was a joke! I figured people would instantly see it as such with Trudy in there. Lol.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Evil Robot Bill wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:52 pm Anyone have any thoughts on this? I follow Twin Peaks Archive but don't know if they're likely to have any insider info.

Could be just having fun with the "Trudy" typo, but still...

https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 0157485064
No insider info this time.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Evil Robot Bill

Jerry Horne wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:08 pm Heh. No it was a joke! I figured people would instantly see it as such with Trudy in there. Lol.
Yeah, I twigged basically the second after I posted on here ha. So desperate for info at the moment!
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Jerry Horne wrote:Heh. No it was a joke! I figured people would instantly see it as such with Trudy in there. Lol.
Is that Pete Campbell as a Capuchin monkey? Image

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk