Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by underthefan »

pinballmars wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 pm
Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:25 pm I do think Cooper has been on this crossing/mission dozens or hundreds of times. That's possibly why he's so jaded in P18. So functionary and mercenary. He knew what "430" was without being told it means miles on a dashboard. He knew exactly what he wanted from Diane at the motel. By rote.
My theory is that Cooper's personality in 18 is the result of creating the new "Dougie" who goes back to Janey-E and and Sonny Jim. In "Twin Peaks" world, the tulpa/doppelganger is a part of you that splits off. Cooper gave "Dougie" his own warmth and capacity to love and basically everything that would make a good husband and father. The Cooper in Odessa is what's left of himself after splitting in two again.
I really like this interpretation! Amazing how years after The Return I still learn and discover new things about it. Can't say that for any other movie or TV show I've seen in recent years.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://youtu.be/BfHomM4bzpg

If anyone's curious that's the reveal of Project Ambrosio. Has a three-time Lynch collaborator on as writer. And sounds very much Lynchy in its presentation and themes. So if no direct connection then spiritually in the mould of Lynch. They've said there are still more surprises to come that people will be familiar with, but it seems like the Lynch connection is present but indirect for now.

Still looks really exciting.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Histeria wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:39 am https://youtu.be/BfHomM4bzpg

If anyone's curious that's the reveal of Project Ambrosio. Has a three-time Lynch collaborator on as writer. And sounds very much Lynchy in its presentation and themes. So if no direct connection then spiritually in the mould of Lynch. They've said there are still more surprises to come that people will be familiar with, but it seems like the Lynch connection is present but indirect for now.

Still looks really exciting.
Given the slightly shabby nature of the presentation (f.ex. not bothering to get a native english speaker to check the text), I don't think this project has major funding behind it, and no reason to doubt that Sam Barlow is the director for the project, as stated. I think there is almost no chance that Lynch is directly involved. That being said, the concept is indeed cool and definitely somewhat inspired by "Inland Empire".
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

That was actually grammatically correct, even if the other way sounds better.

I didn't mean Lynch directing the game, I meant more involved with the filmy side of it or as a character/consultant.

For example while Sam is writing the game part, proper heavyweight screenwriters like Barry Gifford (Lost Highway, Wild at Heart and Hotel Room) are writing the film parts.

From what I've seen of the casting calls, it's reasonably high budget. For starters, it's even SAG AFRA Union work for all acting and extra roles.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:33 am But what pictures are we talking about - the radio ones? Otherwise, I might have missed something here.

Edit - found them, they're about 40 pages back, posted in April - I had seen them but for some reason hadn't paid much attention to them at the time as clues. I remembered the radio one well, but not the others as much.
Found the radio one you mentioned - Episode 8 vibe. Haven’t found the others yet. Unrecorded Night could apply to that night. If it happens to be some sort of prequel, if that’s what it is, I’m surprised Frost wouldn’t be involved since Episode 8 was his baby.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Hester Prynne wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:01 am
Jonah wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:33 am But what pictures are we talking about - the radio ones? Otherwise, I might have missed something here.

Edit - found them, they're about 40 pages back, posted in April - I had seen them but for some reason hadn't paid much attention to them at the time as clues. I remembered the radio one well, but not the others as much.
Found the radio one you mentioned - Episode 8 vibe. Haven’t found the others yet. Unrecorded Night could apply to that night. If it happens to be some sort of prequel, if that’s what it is, I’m surprised Frost wouldn’t be involved since Episode 8 was his baby.
They're almost exacty 40 pages back or just click on Mordeen's name to view all his posts, and they're on the fourth page of his posts.

Edit - here's a link to them both: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/search.php?s ... 5&start=45
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mordeen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:04 pm un_w_04_15_21_poc.jpg

Just something.

- Mordeen
Mordeen wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am
ur_w_04_19_22_poc.jpg

- Mordeen
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Saw we had jumped a good few pages and got momentarily excited. Then saw we were analysing pictures from 40 pages ago and my heart sinks again.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Agent Earle wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:51 pm Ugh, I hate this political crap constantly getting mixed up in art.
Tell 'em, Earle... Secret Agents never play their shakuhachi on the clock!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sneakydave wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:44 am Saw we had jumped a good few pages and got momentarily excited. Then saw we were analysing pictures from 40 pages ago and my heart sinks again.
Lol. Your description is essentially the essence of this thread.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Today, David was thinking of the year 1956.

Three guesses what happened that year.

And to further boost the "not a coincidence" crew, the cited reason for thinking of 1956 was Gene Vincent's Be-Bop-a-Lula.

Firstly, "Bee". Meh that one's give or take.

Secondly. More importantly.. the lyrics contain the line "Let's rock."
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

D473F620-3E7E-4720-895C-743170E088C3.jpeg
D473F620-3E7E-4720-895C-743170E088C3.jpeg (311.39 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Excuse me for responding to something pages & pages ago, but it's because Mr. Reindeer accidentally posted in a thread slow enough for me to keep up with. :)

Reposting here too:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:47 am McKenna gets even basic facts wrong, one senses that she never really watched the show, and the quotes are indeed slanted toward making Lynch the maestro despite his relatively limited involvement.
Uh huh. I recently watched the new interview from Z to A where she's moderator, and while it was overall good questions and good answers, there were two things that irked me:

One is she referred to the Laura on James' bike scene (the one that gets repeated in B&W in Part 17) as being from the first season, not FWWM, which seems like a really egregious mistake, given how cinematic the scene looks visually and how little of Laura's backstory is actually shown in season 1. In fact you could say season 1 operates off the lack of our witnessing those events, that that's literally its plot engine.

Two is she asked Sheryl Lee a really strange and, to me, highly offensive and insensitive question; "Was playing Maddy less fun than Laura? She was always wearing frumpy outfits, but Laura was always pretty hot." The fact that Laura as a character is a victim of abuse and exploitation and is constantly struggling with guilt and shame about her promiscuity makes this question totally off base to me in terms of granting dignity to the character. Maybe it's a joke and I'm taking it too seriously, but it truly bothered me.

I'm currently slogging through RtD, I like it for the new info and the tidbits, but from a writing style perspective it's really wordy and didactic. McKenna is almost more of an unreliable narrator than Lynch, who constantly makes me think of the Lost Highway 'I like to remember things my own way' bit, despite his weirdly unambiguous mission statement to correct the record at length.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Oh my gosh, I made a mess of this board. Sorry again, everyone!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Don't worry, comedies of error are my favorite kind. :) I'm to blame also for responding to a post before glimpsing the next couple.

Anyway, there's a poll on Lynch's youtube that's sort of interesting:

Are you a...

David Lynch fan - 18%
Twin Peaks fan - 4%
Movie fan - 4%
Weather fan - 4%
All of the above - 70%

Kind of makes me think of our endless discussion here about what we'd prefer, with some falling into the Lynch-first camp and vice verse.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.