Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Cde. »

Jonah wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:30 am I think an intimate studio shoot could actually work in Lynch's favour, especially if it was more Twin Peaks. Might give us more a feeling of the original show - kept to the town/the red room, etc. And, in general, even beyond TP, if anyone could make constraints like that work with limited shooting locations and actors, Lynch could. Would only add to the strange, dream-like quality of many of his works imo.
Inland Empire and Eraserhead are close to that style of production and work brilliantly.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by baxter »

Very true. That would be awesome!
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I think if whatever Wisteria/Unrecorded Night is/was lent itself to a piecemeal, more intimate IE-style production it would've probably happened by now. David strikes me as the type to insist on the right tools for the right job. I mean, he stepped away from The Return when Showtime wouldn't give him enough money to do it the way he wanted. I think he would happily pivot to a more DIY/indie workflow if it made sense for his vision but at this point, with it seemingly on hold indefinitely, I think it's safe to say it's probably not the kind of thing he could translate to his satisfaction. That's my reading of the tea leaves anyway.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Have any other notable projects been delayed indefinitely due to the pandemic? It seems everything is filming, all sorts of TV and movies, even those with 80-year-old stars.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:41 am Have any other notable projects been delayed indefinitely due to the pandemic? It seems everything is filming, all sorts of TV and movies, even those with 80-year-old stars.
They'd be of the few outliers to an otherwise overwhelming trend. I don't have figures at hand but I'd guess there are more big budget projects in production right now than at any other point.

This Lynch project is a very notable exception but the way it's discussed would make it seem like UN/Wisteria's production status is customary or ordinary for the industry at this present time. I don't think it is. It's a major outlier.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:45 am I don't have figures at hand but I'd guess there are more big budget projects in production right now than at any other point.
It certainly seems like a lot of content is being churned out despite the pandemic. There's constantly a new big movie or huge TV show being hyped up and all seem to have been filmed/are filming during covid times.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Histeria wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:45 am
Jonah wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:41 am Have any other notable projects been delayed indefinitely due to the pandemic? It seems everything is filming, all sorts of TV and movies, even those with 80-year-old stars.
They'd be of the few outliers to an otherwise overwhelming trend. I don't have figures at hand but I'd guess there are more big budget projects in production right now than at any other point.

This Lynch project is a very notable exception but the way it's discussed would make it seem like UN/Wisteria's production status is customary or ordinary for the industry at this present time. I don't think it is. It's a major outlier.
Well there you go Mr. Lynch. Looks like you're all out of excuses.

But seriously, if you are on a shoestring budget, every added costs counts.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mtwentz is right, it is a big gamble to start a production where you don't have the budget for potential reshoots. I recently waited over a year to start production on an indie film. The main obstacle was that one lead actor was living in Barcelona, the other lead was based in London and I needed them both in Copenhagen for shooting. Finally this October enough travel restrictions lifted to make it possible for them both to travel in. On location, the first day of shooting, and before the first take, one actor received a phone call from the state run contagion tracking service bringing the news that another person on the plane the actor had arrived on had tested positive for Covid19 Delta-variant, and that the entire crew now had to be prepared to go into quarantine, should the actor on our set also test positive. Luckily it worked out and we were able to finish our shoot, but we for sure would not have been able to afford a do-over. And even with a Netflix budget, f.ex. insurance can be expensive if the irreplaceable writer-director is up in years during a pandemic. The insurance issue could actually be the biggest obstacle.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Wow eyeboogers - that sounds impossibly stressful. Well done for getting through it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Agreed. I guess I'm just wondering why all these other TV shows and movies are shooting so much. I mean, I highly doubt it's solely a budget concern at this stage, or even an age concern primarily (though Lynch could be extra concerned himself which is fair enough) as lots of movies and TV productions are shooting right now and have been, many with much less of a budget than what Lynch probably had (especially if it was Netflix or Showtime). I know funds had to be stretched on The Return, but it's not like only big-budget Hollywood movies have been shooting, pretty much everything has. Films with small budgets, new TV shows just starting out, more established shows but still on small-ish budgets, mid-range movies, shoestring budget productions, etc. etc.

So this must really come down to Lynch's personal preference or something else that didn't work out. Perhaps Lynch is more paranoid about covid than others which is cool - I am too. Lots of people are. I just don't think this is primarily a budget concern. Yes, he may want to spread the budget to cover everything, but the covid element may be an extra thing granted by the studio. All I'm saying is, if all these other movies and TV shows are managing to get around the issue, I would find it odd if this production was the only one where a budget could not be agreed upon to also include covid measures as well. Of course, we did see the Showtime thing fall apart for budget reasons - but it was reinstated fairly quickly. Maybe this time it wasn't. That's possible but not sure I believe that's the case.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

mtwentz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:12 pm
Histeria wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:45 am

Well there you go Mr. Lynch. Looks like you're all out of excuses.

But seriously, if you are on a shoestring budget, every added costs counts.
I wasn't suggesting he's making "excuses".

I was merely pointing out that productions of all sizes and budgets — shoestring or bootstrap — are being made (which they are) and UN not being made is an outlier (which it is). There seems to be a prevalent assumption that UN's relegation to Covid Purgatory is par for the course (which it isn't) and I was responding to that assumption.

I have made no value judgements in reply so I'm not sure what you're implying. I wrote a post the other day pointing out why Lynch productions may be particularly exposed to Covid issues including the limited scope for reshoots. But again, that's down to their project management philosophy more than an inherently unassailable logistical problem.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I suppose one factor I forgot was this might have been cancelled or postponed (put on hiatus) when the pandemic was still new and other things were also being halted and everything was up in the air. It's just harder to believe when you see so many productions in full swing over the last year or more that it's still postponed/cancelled purely due to covid and budget. It feels like there's more going on. Could be anything from Lynch himself not feeling comfortable to shooting under such conditions to some budget issues or things fell through with Netflix or whomever like it did with Showtime. Maybe it's just been too difficult to reassemble everyone if they've moved on to other projects, etc. It just feels to me that it's more than just covid and budget - yes, two big things but not insurmountable to countless other productions, so there's something else going on or went on imo.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

While a lot of film/TV productions are picking back up despite COVID a lot fell through the cracks:

On Becoming a God in Central Florida: "On September 26, 2019, Showtime renewed the series for a second season. However, on October 7, 2020, Showtime reversed the renewal and canceled the series, stating that "the [COVID-19 pandemic] has continued to challenge schedules across the board, and although we have made every effort to reunite the cast and crew for a second season, that has become untenable."

The Society: "The series was renewed for a second season in July 2019, but production for the second season was halted by the COVID-19 pandemic. It was announced on August 21, 2020 that the show had been canceled, the complications of the pandemic having led to cost increases and difficulty scheduling production."

I'm Sorry: "On June 18, 2019, the series was renewed for a third season that was scheduled to return in 2020. However, on August 25, 2020, that decision was reversed when TruTV canceled the series after two seasons due to the COVID-19 pandemic."

There's several other examples. With all of these shows there's no reason they couldn't start back up now but for one reason or another they were completely cancelled.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not familiar with these titles, alas, but is it possible they were low in ratings and/or the network wanted to get rid of them for another reason and used the pandemic as an excuse? Of course, that could be the case here too - maybe Netflix got cold feet about a Lynch show or Lynch got cold feet. I still feel it might be Lynch himself who's reluctant for some reason, though I might be very wrong about that. Was it eluded to here at some point that he had pulled out or was that just speculation based on the Showtime fallout? There's over 500 pages here so my memory is vague, but I thought someone in his circle eluded to something like that?
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I’m just gonna speculate that Lynch may have not gotten his booster shot yet but I’m gonna take Peter Deming’s word that it’s just on hold. Cast members could be wrapping other projects and they just pick it back up when everyone has their boosters and free to shoot a production.
"Jade give two rides."