Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yeah, Earle admitting to a certain cynicism there, Last of the Profoundly Disappointed.... Agent Earle's path is a strange and difficult one.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I'm in the Agent Earle camp too, even though The Return is my favorite incarnation of Twin Peaks, and I'm maybe a little too optimistic in this anticipation of a potential new season... But we're all on the same team here! :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Guys, you're spoiling me here! :D
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Well, according to the ongoing poll there are about five of us left, unless there actually are fewer and some folks are pulling a prank on us. Why stick around? I don't know, maybe like a real fan you stick with the team when they are slumping and just flat stink, and hope for some better days! :lol:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Jonah wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:05 am Surprised he didn't get cancelled completely by that racist comment he made a while back - it was very offensive imo and others have gotten cancelled for less, not that I'm a fan of cancel culture in general. Anyway, that's all I'll say about that!
Who are you talking about here? Missing some context.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

About Bill Maher. Anyway, I think a show with a live audience is something different covid risk wise than a controlled set I think.

> Dern. My hunch is she uses the word art instead of (tv) production because she is well aware the official announcement hasn't been made, playing coy. So she has no idea what it's going to be, nothing new here, she was completely clueless during the production of IE. I mean, pages of script for TPTR were shredded after use. No one gets a look at the larger scope of things in Lynch productions any more. The fact that she does speak out about it in some tantalizing way, makes me believe she is involved, and Lynch may very well have discussed (the essence of) her part with her. 'Boundary-less' seems to indicate he got what he wanted, creative freedom/budget wise.

Still can't shake idea of Linda shaving her hair and becoming Judy. If only I wouldn't be leaning to the belief this isn't Peaks...

> The last of the profoundly disappointed. Huh, I wonder that title can be held after a new Lynch production. How could one still be disappointed when they've lost all hope. Or do you still have some? ;)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I'm not sure how big the small studio audience is on Bill Maher's show...

but Twin Peaks: The Return had like 200+ actors with speaking parts (many of them just coming in for 1-2 days, plus lots of extras) , so it is daunting to think how logistically that would be possible today.

The Lucky 7 insurance scenes had conference room scene, extras in plaza, corridors. Bad Cooper vs the Nursery School teacher guy in the warehouse, a lot of thugs. the RR was usually cramped / crowded with extras. crowd around the run over kid. the roadhouse concert scenes.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:55 pm I'm not sure how big the small studio audience is on Bill Maher's show...

but Twin Peaks: The Return had like 200+ actors with speaking parts (many of them just coming in for 1-2 days, plus lots of extras) , so it is daunting to think how logistically that would be possible today.

The Lucky 7 insurance scenes had conference room scene, extras in plaza, corridors. Bad Cooper vs the Nursery School teacher guy in the warehouse, a lot of thugs. the RR was usually cramped / crowded with extras. crowd around the run over kid. the roadhouse concert scenes.

Assuming Lynch is up to something, said something will probably be filmed mostly/all in the United States. As I understand it, the new CDC guidance, whatever one thinks of it personally, says that people who've received a full two-shot course can gather indoors or outdoors, maskless, and not social distance, if it's not very crowded. So if you've got actors, cast & crew who've had two shots, then technically they can film as usual, at least if the studios and their insurers decide to follow that guidance. If the studios decide to go along with it, then it's down to whether or not various individuals (and especially Lynch), feel comfortable going ahead with the project.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It seems like Hollywood has systems in place to make shooting as safe as possible (as they kept emphasizing at the Oscars, where Dern presented), and it seems like stuff is filming. They shot the last few episodes of Fargo season 4 back in August, before there was even a vaccine, and they looked pretty indistinguishable from the earlier pre-pandemic episodes. Maybe slightly fewer huge crowds, but nothing at all that jumped out at me.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri May 14, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Jasper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:13 pm

Assuming Lynch is up to something, said something will probably be filmed mostly/all in the United States. As I understand it, the new CDC guidance, whatever one thinks of it personally, says that people who've received a full two-shot course can gather indoors or outdoors, maskless, and not social distance. So if you've got actors, cast & crew who've had two shots, then technically they can film as usual, at least if the studios and their insurers decide to follow that guidance. If the studios decide to go along with it, then it's down to whether or not various individuals (and especially Lynch), feel comfortable going ahead with the project.
Bill Maher had both shots, and still tested positive, and HBO shut down the shoot, despite what CDC just said, is the point I'm making....
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The recent Walking Dead season stood out to me as a covid shoot. The throngs of zombies from before were reduced A lot of 2-3 people centered episodes. one episode was like 60 % or so carol chasing a rat in a house.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Eight vaccinated NY Yankees also tested positive but were asymptomatic except for one. It’s going to be a period of a lot of trial and error, probably missteps. But it does seem like a lot of stuff is back in production. It’s going to be up to Lynch and the production companies whether it’s worth the risk. I have no doubt he can tailor the project to whatever restrictions exist and still make it great. Lynch thrives on improvisation.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri May 14, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I'm not saying Unrecorded Night isn't moving ahead, and it can't be done, I'm just saying it could be bump and go, if someone tests positive, there will be workarounds and delays and logistical issues. the CDC easing up on masks isn't a magic wand.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:24 pm I'm not saying Unrecorded Night isn't moving ahead, and it can't be done, I'm just saying it could be bump and go, if someone tests positive, there will be workarounds and delays and logistical issues. the CDC easing up on masks isn't a magic wand.
Oh for sure. In fact, it could turn out to be perhaps quite the opposite of being a magic wand —

Sorry. Won’t go there.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:22 pm The recent Walking Dead season stood out to me as a covid shoot. The throngs of zombies from before were reduced A lot of 2-3 people centered episodes. one episode was like 60 % or so carol chasing a rat in a house.
Maybe we'll have an episode that's 60% sweeping the roadhouse floor then! :lol:

But if we're getting that, it's because Lynch envisioned it in the first place. Him having the realization of his vision impaired by COVID restrictions just wouldn't fit the ''boundary-less'' that Dern implied. I'd expect him (and other involved) to rather be patient for more opportunities to than just making ends to create a product to sell pronto. The Walking Dead, a series that imo has been ever deteriorating since it's conception by Darabont, is to me a prime example for making sacrifices (such as lack story direction, oof) just to push product.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."