Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:34 am Interesting caption. Is that a new photo or another S3 behind-the-scenes one? I'd assumed the latter, but Mary Reber recently posted photos with those chairs on the porch, not sure if they were also there back then?
It's from the time Lynch went to tell her S3 was being made I think.

She has already replied "No" to someone asking "Does this mean what I think it means?" almost as soon as she posted the caption itself.

Seems like it's going to be a serialised instagram comic strip
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jasper »

Histeria wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:37 am Seems like it's going to be a serialised instagram comic strip
At the moment, even this would probably constitute getting our hopes up. :lol: :(
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jasper wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:00 am
Histeria wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:37 am Seems like it's going to be a serialised instagram comic strip
At the moment, even this would probably constitute getting our hopes up. :lol: :(
Haha! Indeed :lol:

Out of curiosity and to read the room better, how many here think Sabrina isn't aware of the implication in these captions before posting them?

Lots of people held that belief earlier in the year. However, while I can accept the premise that these posts aren't a preview for an upcoming project (she states this and I believe her), I find it very hard to believe they're made without prior awareness they'd be perceived as such, given the context and ongoing rampant speculation that Sabrina has never quashed and at many times actively stoked.

Let's assume for argument that there isn't and never was any project in the works from Lynch et al and all the speculation is purely the product of wild imaginations and conjecture. Even then, she's surely aware of the speculation (which is a very real object even if the subject of it isn't) given how she's re-shared stories that explicitly cite Unrecorded Night/Wisteria.

So would it be reasonable to also assume these messages are authored without the awareness that they'd be decoded in a way she didn't encode?

Because I don't find that credible, tbh. If there is awareness and if the project doesn't actually exist, then Brad was spot on when he said they're being very troll-y.

I think of the fake news on that cafe in Spain and how unambiguous that refutation wasa. And I also think of the way so many stakeholders in the TP series use ambiguous wording to promote their own stuff on the back of audience speculation/anticipation.

And I wonder if the thing someone suggested months ago on this thread (apologies for not recalling who it was) was true all along: That the gang are using TP speculation to harness the show's dedicated fanbase in drumming up interest for an unrelated project. I didn't think that was credible and I thought it would be very cynical and short-sighted. Still think it's the latter, but I guess it's a lot more credible that I initially thought.

Anyway, I guess the sand is shifting for many of us who were optimistic a while back and I'm wondering if the same is happening with those who were a lot more skeptical (both about more TP and about alleged teases by those involved). Also, I would love to be convinced that I'm completely wrong regarding the intentionality/prior awareness of these connotations.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Of course Sabrina is fully aware of what she is posting/ writing. From their end, they have to have something up their sleeve or they wouldn't post like this. I 100 percent don't think they are 'trolling' either, but also don't care if its seen that way.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:51 am Of course Sabrina is fully aware of what she is posting/ writing. From their end, they have to have something up their sleeve or they wouldn't post like this. I 100 percent don't think they are 'trolling' either, but also don't care if its seen that way.
Yeah I should have said I only consider it trolling if there isn't actually anything up their sleeve.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

'The story continues' is a bit of a tease as a caption.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

It's not that I think Sabrina isn't aware of the implications of her posts but I do still think it doesn't really matter much. If you want to categorize that as "trolling" then go ahead but I just mean that unless she has a post that's some sort of official announcement or video story with Lynch himself announcing a project is coming then I won't really make anything of her IG teases. Who knows why she'd tease something like "the story continues" but then shut somebody down who asks if that means what we'd all assume it means? Maybe there is some life in the project still and she's subtly trying to communicate that to the fanbase (she surely has to be aware of the canthaveit reddit post all but calling the project dead at Netlfix) but I'm not taking that to mean it's actively in production or anything worth getting excited about.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

It's a great photo, but I wouldn't caption it 'the story continues'. it gets fans thinking it's a new photo of Lynch going to the house, just like Jonah asked here. I would think she'd have better things to do than lead people on like that.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Even if Lynch's exec producer does lead fans on a bit, is that a crime? She is clearly leading us on for a reason. They still have plans.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I think we're all gradually shifting towards some sort of shared centre of gravity on this subject so let's not push back against each other for no reason.

I think you're both right. If there's a reason then that's that. If there isn't then it's being gratuitously suggestive.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

NO
no.jpg
no.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Sabrina’s caption seems to be merely describing that time period, though the language can’t be accidental. As we all know, Lynch has repeatedly expressed his fondness for the notion of a continuing story, into which one can delve ever deeper, and this specifically in the context of serialized television. Such comments have always raised the hopes, however faint, of Lynch and/or Peaks fans.

Mark Frost made an intriguing comment at the USC Twin Peaks Retrospective of 2013, where he called Twin Peaks “a continuing story” and said that these words came from both Lynch and himself. It was hard to believe at the time, but it ultimately turned out that Frost’s statement was completely serious.

The story was most certainly continuing at the presumed time of the photo. That’s probably all there is to it. Whether or not Sabrina is cognizant of the fact that many will see the image and caption and read something more into it, I don’t know. From our perspective it might seem provocative, but ultimately that’s our perspective, meaning the perspective of a pack of ravenous piranhas desperately seeking more Twin Peaks or non-TP Lynch directorial work.

I don’t know about the notion that Sabrina might be hinting, with plausible deniability, that something is in some way in the works, even if at a glacial pace. Who knows, maybe since Lynch seems to have finished the scripts for Unrecorded Night, but it’s not being recorded* (at least at this time), then he might be spending some time bouncing around Twin Peaks ideas with Mark Frost. I’m not at all suggesting that this is the case, but we’re really looking at a black box here. Anything could be going on, particularly things in the development stage. For the writing of s3, Frost and Lynch had already established a method of remote working that more recently became familiar to many of the rest of us.

*I don't tend to think that Unrecorded Night is Twin Peaks.
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

The caption is a reference to the privious post,... in wich Lynch was begining to walk up the stairs,.. thats the story that continues on this pic
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, indeed, "the story continues" is a continuation from the post before it where he's lower on the steps to the house, but it still creates a thousand people posting "OMG Lynch is at the Palmer house ! It's a new photo !!!" and "is that a new photo ??? when was that taken ? OMG' reactions and people saying 'this proves it's happening !' ..

and yes, I know it's not a crime, yes, I know she's free to do whatever she wants, but it just seems like a tease.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

David Lich wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:40 pm The caption is a reference to the privious post,... in wich Lynch was begining to walk up the stairs,.. thats the story that continues on this pic
That might be the case. From what I can tell, Sabrina merely answered "no," and it was someone else who said that it referred to the previous post. I guess we'll see if we really do get a sequential pictorial "story" out of it. I do think that it was probably just an innocent caption.

In any case, the idea of a story continuing is heavily loaded in the world of Peaks and of Lynch, as Sabrina would well know.