Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by DougieJones »

Lynch not making another project again because of COVID is a very sad reality. I’ve seen a lot of people mention this on Reddit as well.
"Jade give two rides."
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

i've gone back to a few days in-person working, masks required, lots of constant testing. whenever someone tests positive, they need to isolate for like 10 days. and there's generally a few every week, even with double, triple vaccines.

i have no idea what the scope of wisteria was, but something like the Return with all the locations and cameos up the yin-yang, actors coming over for a day or two days to shoot, i dunno if that workable in this environment. something with a smaller cast, more contained, seems more doable .
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I agree that something with the scope of The Return is probably not possible right now. However, a lot of large-scale productions are shooting and managing to avoid cases or keep them to a minimum. Having said that, their budget might be quite a bit higher. Still, if Lynch was involved with Netflix (and if any of those reddit rumours were true), I imagine he was offered quite a sizeable budget. Perhaps it still wasn't enough to take covid into consideration or he was too worried to risk it or he just wasn't willing to work under such constraints. I could see him postponing things, hoping it all settled down more, before he took on another production.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

the walking dead shows have gotten back to the point where it doesnt feel like a covid shoot anymore. more crowded scenes again.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think an intimate studio shoot could actually work in Lynch's favour, especially if it was more Twin Peaks. Might give us more a feeling of the original show - kept to the town/the red room, etc. And, in general, even beyond TP, if anyone could make constraints like that work with limited shooting locations and actors, Lynch could. Would only add to the strange, dream-like quality of many of his works imo. However, he himself may be not be willing to risk it or not willing to work under such constraints for whatever reason, which is completely understandable given not only his age but the fact that he seems to like just working away on his paintings and staying home. As much as we want more TP and more Lynch works in general, it's hard not to respect that decision especially under current circumstances. I myself, for example, am reluctant to go the cinema and theatre and I'm half his age - so if I was him, I can't see myself wanting to work with a huge crew under such circumstances. I do think he could do a lot with constraints, though, perhaps even the idea of remote directing as floated on here before. I think he prefers a more hands-on approach, but I could still see him making it work.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

i havent been to a movie theater since January of 2020 I think.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm vaguely tempted to go see one in January and have concert tickets for March, but I'm still unsure. I'll probably skip the movie and wait for streaming. The concerts are more tempting but maybe they'll be postponed yet. I haven't gone to anything non-essential since the pandemic started.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

a lot of omicron articles going around now predicting bad spring. i dunno anymore....
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I never thought about how soon after S3 covid swept the world. If nothing of the country-spanning, hundreds of characters scope of S3 can be done nowadays with Lynch at the helm, I thank the stars it happened when it did.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

AXX°N N. wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:04 pm I never thought about how soon after S3 covid swept the world. If nothing of the country-spanning, hundreds of characters scope of S3 can be done nowadays with Lynch at the helm, I thank the stars it happened when it did.
Absolutely, this crossed my mind too. We should just be grateful we got season 3 at all!
JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:35 am i havent been to a movie theater since January of 2020 I think.
As for going to the cinema, I've been to one yesterday, to see House of Gucci. I went to see Dune and The Many Saints of Newark too recently. And now I'm very excited about the new version of West Side Story. All in all, I just don't think I care very much anymore, especially since I went through Covid-19 myself, and am now also vaccinated. Most of the time I don't even feel like anything special is going on (even though the situation in my country is bad), except that we have to wear masks in interior public places. I also don't watch television nor read news; those things just tend to make you upset, while in the end, as the song says, "nothing really matters..."
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

not to get off on a tangent, but it really depends on age and health conditions. I personally don’t worry about COVID affecting me very much at all. My daughter’s boyfriend’s father, though, had a nasty case where he lost all sense of taste and smell and had to be hospitalized a few days.

So I respect each and every person’s emotional response to COVID. My fear is very small and I go the gym, basketball games, movies etc.

Other people are super extra cautious and I totally respect that.

Lynch may very well be in that latter category. And if he is, now with Omicron….I am not getting my hopes up.

The good news is that it will take us a minimum of another 25 years to unpack The Return. Still plenty of rewatches and discussion in that regard.

Jerry Horne just intrigued me with his thoughts on a shared dream beginning when Cooper leaves the motel room in Part 18. Still mulling that over…
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I think it's more the logistical hurdles and bureaucracy he has issues with, if anything.

Twin Peaks S3 was a marvel of logistical engineering and a supremely impressive yield from a very modest budget. But it was also a cowboy job as improvisational as the show itself. The credits for Covid-related staffers on recent productions are a slide by themselves. Distributors impose these things on studios and producers.

It makes film sets extremely safe. But it also makes productions more expensive. And can cause ten-day pauses when someone tests positive.

And can lead to scheduling conflicts. That's fine when stars are being paid hefty sums and have contractual obligations for reshoots and stuff. But when they're being paid the minimum SAG AFTRA rate and seemingly railroaded in at short notice mid-shoot? Less likely.

Imagine Lynch gets onto a set one morning to shoot scenes that must be completed within a few days because actors need to be released, or production has to move elsewhere, or the location is booked for another film. He's already fuming at being told to shoot out of sequence and not being allowed to pitch up tents and meditate for a whole week to go dreamy before filming begins. Then they tell him he has to stop production for two weeks because Laura Dern got Covid, then for a further month because she is summoned for Jurassic World: Dominion reshoots and was only doing Wisteria as a favour anyway.

Dozens upon dozens of productions are being made right now that are far more elaborate, have a lot more scale, and have more logistically convoluted schedules than The Return. But they're not made under the same hit-and-hope conditions as The Return, either.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yep, I agree with all these points Histeria. If you look at Succession, they did have a pretty crowded birthday party scene in this week's episode, including a very crowded dance floor, and then you watch the ending credits, and there's an entire slide of Covid safety and protocol staff, it looked like 20 names at least.

Even going back to Lost Highway, Peter Deming said in the interview with Roger Deakins, you didn't know what was happening from day to day exactly, Lynch would constantly have new ideas, and change things up. that improvisational way of filmmaking under covid restrictions is tough.... but then again DL says he likes how limitations can force you to come up with creative solutions. so there's that.

I know some folks who worked on set on Wes Anderson's movie that shot recently in Spain, and there was at least one actor who tested positive, and characters dialogue had to be re-written and shifted around on the spot , while 10 day isolations went on etc.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

"Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)"

Can we get this renamed to "Covid impact speculation thread?"

Asking for Bob.

- Boredeen
Moving Through Time. . .
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Mordeen wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:07 am "Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)"

Can we get this renamed to "Covid impact speculation thread?"

Asking for Bob.

- Boredeen
Titlecard: TWIN PEAKS

Int. Double R - Day

Shelly is cleaning up the usual countertop spot when Bobby walks in.

Shelly: BOBBY WEAR A MASK

Bobby: I’m putting it on! Loop by loop

Agent Cooper then mysteriously fades into the middle of the diner. Standing on top of one of the booths.

Shelly: Agent Cooper please put on your mask. I won’t ask again

Cooper: What year is this?

END SCENE
"Jade give two rides."