Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Metamorphia »

Histeria wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:09 pm
AXX°N N. wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:03 pm Actually, it could be a situation like how Frost's father skyped in his performance in S3. Sorry to play the party pooper, just a stray thought. :)
It'll be a historical role so no Skype. I guess they could composite him in.
Yeah I'm aware, but that doesn't necessarily prohibit Lynch doing his bit remotely from LA. Depends what the role is and how much interaction it requires.

I saw fatecolossal's tweet speculating that Lynch is playing John Ford, but as far as I can tell this all stems from one semi viral tweet that drew parallels between Spielberg's own impersonation of an older John Ford and David Lynch's voice.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

If he's been on a set with a major role then I'm impressed at how that hasn't slipped with his daily youtube rituals and TP communities tracking his every move :mrgreen:
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I'm also very excited about this. It's a very personal project for Spielberg, and the first movie he's had a hand in writing in 20 years. Lynch playing a role in it seems surreal, for many reasons.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

This is great news. Having Lynch be in a Spielberg movie is beyond surreal. But it also makes you wonder if Lynch is gonna go behind the camera again soon if he’s gonna be on a film set.
"Jade give two rides."
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

I don't know if taking on a role in a film means he's ready to helm a feature. Depending on how big or small the role is it may only require him to be on set for a short period of time, where any film or television series he's directing requires him to be on set for the duration which could last months. It'd also probably be a much simpler proposition to limit contact and other protocols for an actor than it would for a director. Very interesting collaboration though! I'm not familar with any prior connection between the two other than the rumor that Spielberg was interested in directing the Twin Peaks Season 2 premiere.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

The way Variety reports it would make me think Lynch hasn't actually started work on it yet. Will be interesting going forward to note changes or disruption in the weather reports, although Fabelmans is apparently shooting predominantly in LA anyway and given Lynch is such a late addition you'd think it's a very small part.

"Closely guarded secret" makes it sound so cool lol.

Really hope we get some BTS of Spielberg directing Lynch!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

The film's shoot began in June/July last year so it would be interesting to see if there was any hint at the time from the DLT socials or Sabrina's.

However, if it is the Fordesque role as rumoured, it would probably be a scene or two at most, right?

Film trades do often file copy like this for roles that have long since completed principle photography, so that in itself isn't proof of the scenes not having been filmed yet. Though it is possible they haven't been.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

ManBehindWinkies wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm I'm not familar with any prior connection between the two other than the rumor that Spielberg was interested in directing the Twin Peaks Season 2 premiere.
Flipped through Room to Dream's index out of curiosity. Apparently Spielberg was a fan of Inland Empire, and Lynch once told him at a party that he (Spielberg) was lucky, because the things he loves "millions of people love," but the things Lynch loves "thousands of people love;" to which Spielberg told him "we might be reaching a point when just as many people have seen Eraserhead as have seen Jaws," but to which Lynch wasn't so sure. This was around the time of Straight Story and in response to it not doing so well. Not sure what Spielberg meant; maybe something having to do with the internet and widespread availability? I certainly do know people who have seen Eraserhead but not Jaws. :)
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Interesting. I wonder how it came to pass. I wouldn't anticipate it being more than a one-scene role. It's not impossible that this might win an Oscar, which hypothetically would make it the only film he's ever been involved with to win an Oscar. Spielberg hasn't made a good movie since "A.I." outside of "War Horse", though.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Rumor has it Lynch is doing a cameo as director John Ford, who Spielberg famously met as a teenager.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:39 pm Spielberg hasn't made a good movie since "A.I." outside of "War Horse", though.
Highly disagree, lol. Regardless, AI is one of my favorites, and it's the last one he had a hand in writing, which aside from the personal nature of the new film is why I'm excited for it.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

It would be nice if it were John Ford, given the Lynch/Frost use of The Searchers in Twin Peaks. Senior Droolcup is played by Hank Worden, who played the eccentric Mose Harper in The Searchers, and Droolcup repeats the Mose Harper line,“Thank you kindly.” In ep. 29, Worden also performs the whooping with his hand over his mouth that he had earlier performed in The Searchers, and Lynch later connects this sound to that of an electrical current in FWWM (as we see the No. 6 utility pole at Fat Trout Trailer Park), and it occurs when Gerard shows up at the intersection (also by a utility pole). The whooping-with-hand-over-mouth action is repeated by the Arm, when he says, “I am the Arm, and I sound like this.” Droolcup also shows up at the Roadhouse in a Mose Harper type of hat.

Some people have observed that Otis in The Return (“Mister C, Mister C.”) is reminiscent of Hank Worden.

Last edited by Jasper on Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jasper wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:41 pm It would be nice if it were John Ford, given the Lynch/Frost use of The Searchers in Twin Peaks. Senior Droolcup is played by Hank Worden, who played the eccentric Mose Harper in The Searchers, and Droolcup repeats the Mose Harper line,“Thank you kindly.” In ep. 29, Worden also performs the whooping with his hand over his mouth that he had earlier performed in The Searchers, and Lynch later connects this sound to that of an electrical current in FWWM (as we see the No. 6 utility pole at Fat Trout Trailer Park), and it occurs when when Gerard shows up at the intersection (also by a utility pole). The whooping-with-hand-over-mouth action is repeated by the Arm, when he says, “I am the Arm, and I sound like this.” Droolcup also shows up the Roadhouse in a Mose Harper type of hat.

Some people have observed that Otis in The Return (“Mister C, Mister C.”) is reminiscent of Hank Worden.

Very nice. The Return also plays like The Searchers as well.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

AXX°N N. wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 pm I certainly do know people who have seen Eraserhead but not Jaws. :)
Here's one! :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

LateReg wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:23 pm
IcedOver wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:39 pm Spielberg hasn't made a good movie since "A.I." outside of "War Horse", though.
Highly disagree, lol.
I disagree too, with the most recent good film he's made being his latest: the new West Side Story. But opinions differ, and he is not exactly one of my favourite directors, so I can appreciate this sentiment. However, the idea of going to the theatre to see a Spielberg film with David Lynch in it is thrilling!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)