Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Like sneakydave, I'd also pretty much already given up so it's not surprising. Although, yeah, it could just be a new contract. If it is or was ever TP-related, it could even be going back to Showtime. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be good news and lead to some movement finally. Unlikely, but even though I'd given up and think we should all keep our expectations low and in check, I still don't see any harm in staying cautiously optimistic that the project - whatever it is - could still emerge one day.....
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

Based on canthaveit's previous posts and this one I'm assuming they perhaps work at/for Netflix directly. That might explain how they came across production information in the first place and how they can confirm Netflix is no longer involved. Honestly can't say I'm surprised. It seemed like whatever momentum was building behind the scenes has died down recently and losing your production deal seems like a good way to do that. I do hope they are able to move it to another network/studio and pick up production but I'm not holding breath it will be anytime soon.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I feel the break off, if real, more likely comes from Lynch and not Netflix.

Netflix are absolutely desperate for new content and are gratuitously overpaying for it in response to lockdown bottlenecks, new rivals and increasingly strong competition.

Their last figure of spending on new content for the coming year was $17 billion and this week they've said it'll go way beyond even that. They just acquired the Rohld Dahl Company and from talking to friends in the media industry where I used to work, they say getting something greenlit there atm is very easy for even a moderately successful producer/director/writer.

We all know Lynch threatened to pull the plug on S3 entirely ("I might still let them do it") But would it be as easy for Showtime to have ripped up that contact unilaterally? Given the uniqueness of Twin Peaks ownership and how the IP and production was all in-house, I feel it would be a lot easier for Lynch and co to pull the plug on supplying a product than it would be for Netflix to cancel the order after pre-production was well underway. Then again, they probably had clauses for delays in there.

In any case, it would be very sad if this turns out to be one of the only lost projects this side of the lockdown at Netflix. What else has been canceled at Netlifx after Hollywood got back to work post-lockdown? I know lots was canned at the time, but what about projects still green when productions got going again?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Let's say the project is no longer moving forward with Netflix, per canthaveit. Might that also/simply mean that as of this moment, nothing is moving forward? But that they've decided to revisit it at a set time, like six months from now or whatever, to assess the state of the world? I really do imagine that Lynch would not want to stop working for days or weeks at a time due to potential COVID-related stoppages, so it really may be that he's waiting it out for that reason.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LateReg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:09 pm Let's say the project is no longer moving forward with Netflix, per canthaveit. Might that also/simply mean that as of this moment, nothing is moving forward? But that they've decided to revisit it at a set time, like six months from now or whatever, to assess the state of the world? I really do imagine that Lynch would not want to stop working for days or weeks at a time due to potential COVID-related stoppages, so it really may be that he's waiting it out for that reason.
possible. but considering how enormous the gap was in years between Inland Empire and TP Return, I dont wanna get my hopes up.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:09 pm Let's say the project is no longer moving forward with Netflix, per canthaveit. Might that also/simply mean that as of this moment, nothing is moving forward? But that they've decided to revisit it at a set time, like six months from now or whatever, to assess the state of the world? I really do imagine that Lynch would not want to stop working for days or weeks at a time due to potential COVID-related stoppages, so it really may be that he's waiting it out for that reason.
I would just say, let's wait to see what next spring brings. I doubt anything significant happens until then.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Also note since it's an in-house production and the sale of distribution rights to a finished product (as opposed to signing on to direct a film produced by Netflix itself) Frost and Lynch are the ones exposed to cost overruns and delays, less so Netflix. Lynch had to take on multiple roles himself to eke out The Return on budget.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

For those who, like me, came to suspect (just a hunch, really) that Wisteria was entirely unrelated to TP, but also that there was a decent chance TP S4 (the Carrie and Richard Show) was supposed to be next up for DKL (if the stars align) after completing Wisteria—and who, also like me, would prefer TP S4 to a new non-TP-related DKL project (though of course I’d be ecstatic about the latter, just not quite as ecstatic as I’d be about the former)—this might not be all bad news even if it means Wisteria is dead as a doorknob, because that might actually increase the chances of TP S4 coming into existence. Yes, yes, bird hand bush, but I’m trying to silver line.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Gosh, imagine my surprise. Out of sand. No stars.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mordeen wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:07 pm Gosh, imagine my surprise. Out of sand. No stars.

- Mordeen
Did this break off with Netflix happen in July when you last posted this phrase?

That flurry of "pleasant feelings", and social media bait (which followed many here basically giving up on the Netflix thing especially with Mordeen's post) came in mid-July.

So perhaps it really was a decision by Lynch to break it off (and go somewhere else?).
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Someone tell me why I'm supposed to give credence to what this reddit person says again? A week ago an actual outlet reported that Lynch was opening a club in Ibiza, and somehow we're still gonna swallow whatever this random anonymous person tells us.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

BGate wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:49 am Someone tell me why I'm supposed to give credence to what this reddit person says again? A week ago an actual outlet reported that Lynch was opening a club in Ibiza, and somehow we're still gonna swallow whatever this random anonymous person tells us.
Random anonymous person broke the news of the production before anyone else did, including the working title and episode count.

Months before anyone else did, actually.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Which hasn't been confirmed by anyone official in any capacity.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Histeria wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:38 am
Agent Earle wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am Which hasn't been confirmed by anyone official in any capacity.
Some countries with nukes haven't declared them in any official capacity, either. You're conflating proof and evidence.
All I remember of this "proof" and "evidence" is a lot of hearsay - which sometimes changed almost by the minute - and backtracking.