Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Stavrogyn »

I believe that Lynch is very much capable of writing a full season by himself, and that is exactly what I'm hoping for. After all, he had circa three and a half years since the ending of The Return, he could have written a novel if he wanted to! Besides, it seems that he spent the last year all by himself at home, which are more than perfect conditions for dedicating yourself to writing.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://www.instagram.com/p/COk0cUTFYeO ... _copy_link

Coincidentally, Lara Flynn Boyle is in LA this week as the press claimed it was her "first public sighting in a year."

There were some vague tweets hinting at Donna stuff earlier this year but I can't find them and can't vouch for them either so I discount those, too.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 am https://www.instagram.com/p/COk0cUTFYeO ... _copy_link

Coincidentally, Lara Flynn Boyle is in LA this week as the press claimed it was her "first public sighting in a year."

There were some vague tweets hinting at Donna stuff earlier this year but I can't find them and can't vouch for them either so I discount those, too.
I'd love to see LFB come back (but doesn't she live in LA? been spotted there a lot before?) and I'm sure if Lynch was willing to change Audrey's story and role for Sherilyn Fenn he might be willing to do the same for Lara Flynn Boyle, if the rumours that she didn't like Donna's planned story for The Return were true.
Last edited by Jonah on Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Oh if she lives in LA then I was mistaken and it's not notable. Thanks.

For some reason I've always assumed she lived in London. No idea if I misread something or just misremember reading something.

I was very glad to see she's back making movies, though. Seems like things are on the up for her.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

one other difference I remember between Wild at Heart - the book and the movie - is that Johnny Faragut writes short stories in the book- and there's a bit of interlude into one of his stories. Lynch tightened that up a bit.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 am one other difference I remember between Wild at Heart - the book and the movie - is that Johnny Faragut writes short stories in the book- and there's a bit of interlude into one of his stories. Lynch tightened that up a bit.
Yep, I mentioned that in my post! It was basically an excuse for Gifford to imitate Rod Serling. Pretty entertaining, but wouldn’t have worked in the movie.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Jonah wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:56 am
Histeria wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 am https://www.instagram.com/p/COk0cUTFYeO ... _copy_link

I'd love to see LFB come back (but doesn't she live in LA? been spotted there a lot before?) and I'm sure if Lynch was willing to change Audrey's story and role for Sherilyn Fenn he might be willing to do the same for Lara Flynn Boyle, if the rumours that she didn't like Donna's planned story for The Return were true.

A picture of Donna on the Instagram and Lynch referencing the song of the same name in his weather report today. Looks like Lynch has Donna on his mind today.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Jonah wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:38 pm This Mortal Coil he couldn't license in BV, and turned out to be blessing, we got Julee Cruise instead.
I didn't know that. So he couldn't get them for BV but later could for LH?
I've read a few different accounts of who blocked the use of Song to the Siren in Blue Velvet - Lynch's producers wouldn't stump up the funds requested, Ivo Watts-Russell (head of 4ad) didn't want the song used in a film, the estate of Tim Buckley wanted an unreasonably high sum - and no idea which is the correct story. There's also a certain amount of bad blood between Ivo (who more or less *was* This Mortal Coil, even if his role was primarily as a curator or producer rather than performer) and Liz Fraser & Robin Guthrie of the Cocteau Twins who perform on the song. I read an interview with Guthrie who claimed he and Fraser were only paid a standard session fee, although Ivo counters that they were later offered a split on royalties. (The original idea was apparently for Fraser to sing acapella with Guthrie's guitar only there as a guide during recording).

By strange coincidence, Fraser would later have a relationship with Jeff Buckley, son of Song To The Siren writer Tim Buckley. By even stranger coincidence, This Mortal Coil & Jeff Buckley would both cover Big Star's Kangaroo. The TMC version is the opening track on It'll End In Tears, the TMC album on which Song To The Siren appears. It's worth taking a listen to the two opening notes - which aren't a million miles away from opening notes of a theme tune to a tv show we all know and love...
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I seem to remember Song To the Siren/ This Mortal Coil still didn't make it to the Nothing/ interscope records soundtrack for LH.

it's striking how different the mood of the song is from the Buckley version to the This Mortal Coil interpretation.

I think it fits much, much better in Lost Highway, it's not a level playing field love song,
fits more in the context of Pete/Alice than Jeffrey/Sandy.
the siren luring a man in... and there's rejection/ unrequited stuff in there,
Broken lovelorn on your rocks ... For you sing Touch me not, touch me not. Come back tomorrow Oh my heart Oh my heart shies from the sorrow
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:56 am I seem to remember Song To the Siren/ This Mortal Coil still didn't make it to the Nothing/ interscope records soundtrack for LH.
Correct. I think maybe the rights issues were too hairy with all the parties involved?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:27 am I don’t think the copyright filing mentioned a page count, right?
that's correct. Library of Congress has moved away from requiring physical scripts, tapes, discs in recent years. you can upload files now. the filing says it's a digital file.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

It was Ivo who vetoed the inclusion on the Lost Highway soundtrack: "I didn't want people coming to it unsuitably squished between two other tracks, but rather on its own, or to take them to hear it on a This Mortal Coil album."

He also vetoed its use (in both the film and soundtrack) of The Amazin Spider-Man but allowed it to be used in The Lovely Bones - and had agreed it could be included on a prospective soundtrack album since Brian Eno was involved.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:02 pm It was Ivo who vetoed the inclusion on the Lost Highway soundtrack: "I didn't want people coming to it unsuitably squished between two other tracks, but rather on its own, or to take them to hear it on a This Mortal Coil album."

He also vetoed its use (in both the film and soundtrack) of The Amazin Spider-Man but allowed it to be used in The Lovely Bones - and had agreed it could be included on a prospective soundtrack album since Brian Eno was involved.
Heh, I’m guessing he also vetoed its inclusion in the “Snyder Cut.” The infamous “hot dog scene” uses a newly recorded soundalike.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:09 pm
Henrys Hair wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:02 pm It was Ivo who vetoed the inclusion on the Lost Highway soundtrack: "I didn't want people coming to it unsuitably squished between two other tracks, but rather on its own, or to take them to hear it on a This Mortal Coil album."

Heh, I’m guessing he also vetoed its inclusion in the “Snyder Cut.” The infamous “hot dog scene” uses a newly recorded soundalike.
That wouldn't surprise me at all! A lot of the stuff I've read concerning the 4ad side of Song To The Siren's licensing is from Martin Aston's Facing The Other Way book (highly recommended for anyone interested in 4ad) - unfortunately it was published a couple of years before Justice League.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Funny that Ivo deferred to Eno's clout but not Reznor's, ha.

Thanks for sharing the interesting 4AD knowledge, Henrys Hair!

Henrys Hair wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:07 amBy strange coincidence, Fraser would later have a relationship with Jeff Buckley, son of Song To The Siren writer Tim Buckley. By even stranger coincidence, This Mortal Coil & Jeff Buckley would both cover Big Star's Kangaroo. The TMC version is the opening track on It'll End In Tears, the TMC album on which Song To The Siren appears. It's worth taking a listen to the two opening notes - which aren't a million miles away from opening notes of a theme tune to a tv show we all know and love...
Speaking of Jeff & Liz, just want to share this amazing demo they recorded together which is my favorite song of all time. That relationship was clearly something special not meant to last, not unlike Jeff himself unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnPvnIKCJYA
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.