Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jasper »

iw2b.jpg
iw2b.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

We all do, Jasper. We all do!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Posted this on the thread about the forum closing but repeating it here in case anyone hasn't seen that yet:

As the forum is closing on April 15th per Dugpa's announcement, if anyone is friends with forum members on here who haven't logged in for a long time you might want to message them to let them know this news. If you PM them on here, they'll only get the message if they have email notifications turned on (if not they won't get it) - so might be best to contact them on other means if you know them (social media, outside email, etc.).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Good idea Jonah. I will miss all you guys, and Norm of the Andes who I haven't seen in a bit
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I will miss this place too, Jack. I've been here 15 years and it's the only forum - apart from a couple of writing ones I mostly lurk on - that I use. Reddit is useful but it's just not quite the same. I've never found another Twin Peaks community that comes even close to here.

In order to give us a little bit more speculation, here's something that may or may not mean something:

Kaleem Aftab "liked" two of fatecolossal's tweets talking about how, if Lynch is at Cannes, he won't necessarily be announced next Thursday. Aftab does not follow fate, nor was he tagged in these tweets. He's joked with others about Lynch but it's still worth noting as it seems he went out of his way to either find those tweets or at least like them. (I know there will be people who think this is a reach or means nothing, but I still think it's worth noting and we could all do with some speculation now to ease the news about the forum.)

Not sure how I feel about the latest rumour overall - my excitement waned a bit, that initial "guess again" threw me off and made me think he wasn't talking about Lynch, but he has since leaned into it somewhat, liking those tweets, mentioning Roy Orbison etc.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

The news about the forum closing took my mind off of any potential David Lynch project being premiered at Cannes. It would help if we learned on Thursday that season 4 is coming, but, yeah, my enthusiasm kind of waned rapidly... At least the timing is interesting and makes me wonder.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Imagine how frustrating it will be if a Twin Peaks movie is announced on Thursday right before the board is going to be shut down.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If this is a Lynch project, it may not even be announced beforehand. They might try to keep it a surprise as long as possible, maybe even right up until the event itself? (Though surely they'd want to get some pre-event media buzz as well?) Just there may not be an announcement with the rest of the line-up, not sure.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Yeah, it's shutting down the day after Cannes announce their lineup. If Lynch is confirmed then, we have a day to discuss it; going out with a bang.

If it isn't, we'll have a more somber day, I guess.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I looked at Kaleem Aftad's review of the Don Quixote film, and his interview with Terry Gilliam, seemed lukewarm. overall, he seems not that enthused over Gilliam.

I know it's blasphemy to consider other directors and I'll get yelled at, I'm such a terrible person and such, but I did have a thought Gilliam was originally from Minnesota, and though he did renounced his citizenship during Abu Ghraib, could still sorta count as American and Monty Python's Flying Circus, if you attribute it to him as a co-author, is the sort of show people consider a favorite. Afta does have an article about the Monty Python stage show reunion but it's behind a paywall. Gilliam finishing one of his unrealized projects with animation in the pandemic I thought might be in the realm of possible.

Afta is also enthusiastic about Errol Morris , calls him a great filmmaker in one review, and does praise his work in TV, Wormwood etc.. Morris does have abandoned projects also. I've seen him do interviews where he talks about giving up on things and moving on to other work, I'm not a big enough buff to know if there's one project people think doesn't exist, that would be highly anticipated.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Just wanted to jump in real quick and say thank you to Dugpa, to the moderators and to all of you. I've enjoyed these discussions hugely, even if I didn't always chime in, and it's been a joy meeting all of you and hearing your thoughts.

As far as the Cannes announcement is concerned, I'm staying cautiously optimistic. I would be absolutely thrilled if it turns out to be true but I also don't want to get my hopes up. I think it's entirely possible that Lynch filmed something in secret but I don't think it's very likely it would be something on the scale of The Return, but more likely something on the scale of Inland Empire. In any case, a new Lynch project would be the best news I've heard in years, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :-)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Nice to see you back, underthefan. I agree with not wanting to get hopes up and also that it's more likely on the scale of IE - or even Rabbits/What Did Jack Do?, just maybe slightly longer - if it even exists again. I just feel we've been so burned so many times by rumours that on the one hand this could be a culmination as I said of the previous rumours (meaning that things HAD leaked and therefore something had been in progress) or it could just be yet another burst of false hope (though that in itself could still indicate Lynch is/was/will be planning something). I really don't know what to think. I was quite excited, then I was skeptical, now I'm bouncing between both as I'm sure most of you are also.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Underthefan, love your screen name, has always made me chuckle. Jonah, you'll have to tell us where and how to get your novels before the grand exit.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:22 am
Kaleem Aftab "liked" two of fatecolossal's tweets talking about how, if Lynch is at Cannes, he won't necessarily be announced next Thursday. Aftab does not follow fate, nor was he tagged in these tweets. He's joked with others about Lynch but it's still worth noting as it seems he went out of his way to either find those tweets or at least like them. (I know there will be people who think this is a reach or means nothing, but I still think it's worth noting and we could all do with some speculation now to ease the news about the forum.)
that is eyebrow raising isn't it...
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:55 am Jonah, you'll have to tell us where and how to get your novels before the grand exit.
I'm hoping that, if we manage to continue somewhere else, Jonah's coming with us :)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)