Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

I haven't been following any news or looking for updates but I think Mark Frost made a Twin Peaks reference recently regarding Part 8 (what a nuclear explosion looks like). Just glanced at it while stalking literary agents on twitter (I don't bother with social media otherwise) so didn't pay much attention. Does he tweet about TP much? Is anything else being tweeted out much lately? I follow fatecolossal's feed now and again but haven't seen much.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

fatecolassal been posting about a poll of 100 best 21st century shows recently that had TP Return at #13, but some controversy it should have been higher, because it wasn't a choice or something on the list, I dunno, I got bored reading about the rules of the poll.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:00 pm I haven't been following any news or looking for updates but I think Mark Frost made a Twin Peaks reference recently regarding Part 8 (what a nuclear explosion looks like). Just glanced at it while stalking literary agents on twitter (I don't bother with social media otherwise) so didn't pay much attention. Does he tweet about TP much? Is anything else being tweeted out much lately? I follow fatecolossal's feed now and again but haven't seen much.
Frost tweets about TP from time to time. I wouldn't make too much out of the nuclear explosion Tweet.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Audrey Horne wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:04 pm And so, so, so much of it!

I loved Lynch making it eighteen parts, airing week to week and starting it off with The Giant saying, “listen to the sounds” and then it all adding up in such a meticulous way! And by loved, I mean taking a nail and a hammer to my hand and playing a fun game of tension.

What did Mr. C want again? I know, I know, I shouldn’t expect wrapped up bows and answers… but McMuffin objectives for week to week suspense probably would’ve helped.
What kept me tuning in from week to week was 'Find Laura' and 'who are Richard Horne's parents'.

there was a reason they slow dripped out Richard Horne's parentage, only finally confirming until after he is liquidated.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The first milisecond of a nuclear explosion still frame is pretty fascinating. It does look abstract and resembles some of Lynch's PAFA era grey tone paintings.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

mtwentz wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:39 pm
Jonah wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:00 pm I haven't been following any news or looking for updates but I think Mark Frost made a Twin Peaks reference recently regarding Part 8 (what a nuclear explosion looks like). Just glanced at it while stalking literary agents on twitter (I don't bother with social media otherwise) so didn't pay much attention. Does he tweet about TP much? Is anything else being tweeted out much lately? I follow fatecolossal's feed now and again but haven't seen much.
Frost tweets about TP from time to time. I wouldn't make too much out of the nuclear explosion Tweet.
Yeah, true, I didn't really think it was worth reading into. I was more interested to see him posting about TP in general especially given his status in TP Productions is kinda unknown (to us anyway) right now. I think I knew he occasionally tweeted about it back when I was paying more attention to tweets. I guess I just wasn't sure if he still did. Good to know all the same.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

my overall impression from his twitter feed is that Mark Frost is still enormously proud of Twin Peaks and loves to be associated with it. I'm not sure a week goes by where he doesnt tweet or retweet something TP related. He retweeted a Kyle Maclahlan post about TP around Oct 10th, some Sheryl Lee pics, Dodger Stadium playing the TP theme he mentioned other day, he seemed pretty thrilled by.

hard to find any moment in there where seems he had enough of it and was like screw this, take my name off of TP productions.
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

I see some mention a strong element of "surrealism" in TR. In other words, don't expect a storyline. That makes the whole job a lot easier for any director. Just throw random scenes together -> surrealism ;) And you're basically not allowed to find it lacking because it's "surrealism" :) I disagree with that. That sort of intellectualization does no one any favours. Sometimes the emperor is simply naked.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

missoulamt wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:04 pm I see some mention a strong element of "surrealism" in TR. In other words, don't expect a storyline. That makes the whole job a lot easier for any director. Just throw random scenes together -> surrealism ;) And you're basically not allowed to find it lacking because it's "surrealism" :) I disagree with that. That sort of intellectualization does no one any favours. Sometimes the emperor is simply naked.
But I like naked emperors.
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

Yes, many don't seem to mind.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

From a Roger Ebert essay on 2001: A Space Odyssey:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/grea ... yssey-1968
"The film did not provide the clear narrative and easy entertainment cues the audience expected. The closing sequences, with the astronaut inexplicably finding himself in a bedroom somewhere beyond Jupiter, were baffling. The overnight Hollywood judgment was that Kubrick had become derailed, that in his obsession with effects and set pieces, he had failed to make a movie.

What he had actually done was make a philosophical statement about man's place in the universe, using images as those before him had used words, music or prayer. And he had made it in a way that invited us to contemplate it -- not to experience it vicariously as entertainment, as we might in a good conventional science-fiction film, but to stand outside it as a philosopher might, and think about it. "
Sound familiar?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

For me, the difference is 2001 is a two hour film going experience. You are going into the theater in 1967 and letting its total wash over you, it’s characters and visuals invent and exist beginning when the opening titles begin. And yes, it is extraordinary, and yes, Lynch’s work is outstanding as well.

The difference for me which (again, for me) is impossible to divorce, is that this world has/had twenty plus years of feelings and a personal relationship to its characters and weekly installment structure. Yes, I can put the Return on and walk around my home and glance back up at it like an art installation and probably appreciate parts of that like I’m in an art gallery. But I’m not having the same experience for what I feel this genre initially set up.

On the flip side, I feel Peaks set up an impossibly high bar in its first season, and opening episodes of its second. It probably has sustained a long life for me because I could always imagine what could’ve been in the second season if there wasn’t so many behind the scene conflicts. And even with The Return, if it was given perfect melding of narrative with surrealism and didn’t go the way I wanted, I wouldn’t still be able to complain like I have for thirty one years.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I never follow Sabrina's instagram (or very very rarely) and I've also advised those who do not to get their hopes up with her posts - but, following the link to the Interpol video, I see she's posting purple flowers again, along with more hearts. Guess she really likes the colour purple. (But she does know people will read more into it, right? And what kind of flowers are in that recent photo - are they wisteria or something else?)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Just had a look and I'm pretty sure that's an orchid. But from looking online it takes a lot of effort to find one with enough hanging bulbs to make it look that much like a wisteria blossom.

The pattern/trend is speculation goes quite for a week or two and the calm is broken by an overt-but-accidental message that gets everyone talking again. It's like a reverse summoning ritual. Or, rather, we were the ones being summoned.

As for the emoji question, Sabrina's use of emojis started with this new account. A long time ago I was looking at her old insta (not for wisteria just to picture the scene as TR was being produced and released) and it appeared she never used emojis of any colour. At all. Could be wrong as I wasn't really looking out for it but that's what I seem to recall.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

As the same conversation was happening in two threads, it made more sense to shift it all to one, so the NFT discussion has been moved here:

DL and Interpol and NFT
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1833