Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by underthefan »

Yes, I do know what she is teasing and that's from a personal friend of hers who I happen to know as well. Put it this way, unless you're a fan of her music, nothing to get excited about.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:13 am
sneakydave wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:53 pm And yeah, interesting timing given the location scouting reports recently. I take it Lynch is still doing his weather reports though from his home?
Good point. I haven't been following his weather reports - does anyone know was there a break in them last week when he was supposedly in Montana? If not, then doesn't that make it likely that rumour was untrue - unless people are going to go down the pre-recorded route, which I think is unlikely, though we floated it here before. Still seems unlikely. So no break in weather reports probably = no Montana. (Though even if he was there I didn't think it was due to location scouting, more reconnecting with his roots.)
The daily weather reports (and numbers of the day) have continued unabated.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

The question of what happened with Unrecorded Night is becoming more mysterious than a Lynch movie. My most logical theory is that there was a Netflix project in the works last year (my bet would be an original project because of Netflix though there's also a chance it was TP-related even if not necessarily S3 continuation) that was in pre-production when covid struck. After Lynch got vaccinated, his intent was to go back into pre-production again but then the combination of the delta variant (and now lambda), breakthrough infections, extra risk to Lynch's health, budget constraints due to covid precautions, and concerns about having to pause filming (which is extraordinarily expensive because you have to keep on paying people even during work stoppage) have convinced Lynch to wait it out for the time being and see how things turn out in the future. Considering I'm personally not too hopeful the pandemic will get any better soon, I'm also not hugely hopeful that they will go into production anytime soon. We'll just have to wait and see if the situation changes. Fingers crossed that it does but I'm not holding my breath.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

underthefan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:32 am The question of what happened with Unrecorded Night is becoming more mysterious than a Lynch movie. My most logical theory is that there was a Netflix project in the works last year (my bet would be an original project because of Netflix though there's also a chance it was TP-related even if not necessarily S3 continuation) that was in pre-production when covid struck. After Lynch got vaccinated, his intent was to go back into pre-production again but then the combination of the delta variant (and now lambda), breakthrough infections, extra risk to Lynch's health, budget constraints due to covid precautions, and concerns about having to pause filming (which is extraordinarily expensive because you have to keep on paying people even during work stoppage) have convinced Lynch to wait it out for the time being and see how things turn out in the future. Considering I'm personally not too hopeful the pandemic will get any better soon, I'm also not hugely hopeful that they will go into production anytime soon. We'll just have to wait and see if the situation changes. Fingers crossed that it does but I'm not holding my breath.
I’m pretty much of the same mind as you on all of this.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Also agreed.

My general (pessimistic) feeling is that this will go the way of Antelope Don't Run No More.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Yup, the project is increasingly likely a Covid casualty. A fucking tragedy if you ask me
I'll see you in the trees
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Metamorphia wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:48 am Also agreed.

My general (pessimistic) feeling is that this will go the way of Antelope Don't Run No More.
Antelope Don't Run No More never had its script copyrighted though, did it?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

You know, whether or not it's TP (and it likely could be a brand new project given the two working titles or just tangentially connected to TP), something might still be happening or planned to happen, they're just delaying it to see how it all pans out? What I mean is, the deal might not be cancelled, the scripts/budget and locations might still be approved, just on hold. The difficulty could be more with the cast, etc., needing to move on to new projects. So I suppose it depends how long they can keep this thing on hold - anyone know in theory how this would work with a production? Is it easier to just cancel or can a certain amount be kept "on hold" to see how things pan out?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:30 pm

As far as I know, no, but I think others pointed out a couple of others did (Ronnie Rocket? etc.). The difference being they were movies that were cancelled mostly due to budget. As far as I know Antelope never got off the ground at all and Ronnie Rocket and maybe One Saliva Bubble did for awhile (correct me, fellow dugpaphiles if I'm wrong) but then were cancelled, all due to budget. The difference here is Wisteria/Unrecorded Night is seemingly a television series and has had a budget possibly approved (that's a stretch and based on a reddit rumour but it's a possibility). I'm not sure if that's an important distinction, but if it is delayed/cancelled it might just be due to the pandemic, not budget reasons, meaning perhaps it could potentially be picked up again at a later stage (?) - which brings me back to the question I asked in the post above.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jonah wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:08 pm
NormoftheAndes wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:30 pm

As far as I know, no, but I think others pointed out a couple of others did (Ronnie Rocket? etc.). The difference being they were movies that were cancelled mostly due to budget.
I also seem to recall Lynch stating that a big problem he had with Ronnie Rocket was/is that he didn't have a satisfactory ending. It could be that he intended to solve that during filming, or even during editing.

EDIT - I found the quote I was thinking of. It's from 2014:

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/dav ... anye-west/
LYNCH:
"I love Ronnie Rocket, and I love the world of Ronnie Rocket, and I wouldn’t mind going there. The thing that kept me from doing it, really, is that I haven’t quite gotten the big idea for it. Something is still somewhat missing in the script. I think about it from time to time, but it’s just never happened. It’s not what you would call a 'summer blockbuster.' It would be a very tough sell these days."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Interesting. I didn't know that.

I still wonder how complete the Wisteria/Unrecorded Night scripts that were copyrighted are. And if they're full scripts or more treatments.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I looked around for Antelope don't run no more in US copyright database, I didn't see it.

I think he pitched it to Canal mostly, I dunno how far he went shopping it around. Possible he didn't feel the need to copyright it since he had already worked with them on three projects.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jonah wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:54 am Interesting. I didn't know that.

I still wonder how complete the Wisteria/Unrecorded Night scripts that were copyrighted are. And if they're full scripts or more treatments.
I was remembering the issue as having to do with the ending, but according to Lynch, Ronnie Rocket is missing the “big idea.” It’s surprising, since he seems to have put no small amount of effort into it, and since it’s such a legendary unmade work among Lynch fans. We might expect that the presence of a “big idea” would have been what was driving him in the first place. I guess not, or perhaps over time he grew to feel that it was missing some major thing, while he possibly didn’t feel that way earlier on. Who knows?

At least we got the inspired appearance of Jimmy Scott singing Sycamore Trees in ep. 29.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Jasper wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:29 am At least we got the inspired appearance of Jimmy Scott singing Sycamore Trees in ep. 29.
Probably my favourite moment of whole Twin Peaks.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)