Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Metamorphia »

mtwentz wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:58 pm watching the BTS, it's kind of hard imagining him doing remote direction. He is there personally touching up the makeup of Miriam to make her look bloodier. It feels it would almost be like him asking someone to paint a picture for him, and trying to guide their strokes over Zoom.

Then again, Warren Frost was directed remotely I presume. I don't remember the complete story behind that. Maybe Mark actually directed his dad.
Agreed. I think being there in person is a really important component of how he creates.

I can't seem to find the interview I'm thinking of but I'm sure Lynch even commented on how it wasn't ideal collaborating with Badalamenti remotely on The Return. Given how he directs actors seems almost identical to his process "directing" Badalamenti (as in the famous Angelo Badalamenti describes writing Laura Palmer video) I think he'd find it really tough going.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Definitely not an ideal solution, and I know he even likes to get down on his hands and knees and touch up paint on the floor, but just wondering if it would be something he'd consider, at least partially, given the pandemic. I also think he could make it really creative in his own special and unique way.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

It should be noted that these production lockdowns are all baked into studio calculations and are a sign of a system being implemented successfully, not of them being scuppered.

They've all invested tonnes into the planning of these procedures.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 pm It should be noted that these production lockdowns are all baked into studio calculations and are a sign of a system being implemented successfully, not of them being scuppered.

They've all invested tonnes into the planning of these procedures.
Good point. And I can't wait for the BTS of Unrecorded Night:

Lynch: 'why do we have to shoot it in two days? We own the studios. Who arbitrarily says you have just two days to do this'
Assistant: 'Well because of COVID protocols we...
Lynch: 'This is an absolutely horrible way to work. I'm never doing this again! We never get to go dreamy -I'm never shooting in the middle of a pandemic again...'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

there are productions going, but with quite a bit of sacrifices being made. Walking Dead 's less zombies and limited interaction format is very noticeable. material involving crowds, extras, are being cut from a lot of shows. Bruce Miller said he had to toss a number of scenes for The Handmaids Tale. Clea Duvall wasnt able to participate, her character referred to off screen, I think he chalked that up to covid.

a lot of the 'sprawl ' of Twin Peaks: Return I don't think could happen anymore. People like Ashley Judd and Jennifer Jason Leigh coming in for a day or two and then driven back to other productions they working on, Miguel Ferrer coming in on weekends around his other show etc, would be hard to manage.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agree with those who say Lynch wouldn't direct remotely, unless it somehow made some narrative sense or was a select sequence of scenes that felt right to film in such a way. It does seem antithetical to his method to me.

A month back, didn't someone say that Covid costs come out of the budget? Or was that just speculation? I remember someone saying that, but I also remember someone saying that Star Trek's latest ended up costing 300,000 per episode for Covid precautions. I had thought it was stated that those coats came out of the pre-established budget, and others speculating that Lynch wouldn't want to lose any of his current budget to such costs.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:41 pm there are productions going, but with quite a bit of sacrifices being made. Walking Dead 's less zombies and limited interaction format is very noticeable.
That is very noticeable but, as I've said before, I think that those six tacked-on episodes were more of an experiment to get the industry moving than an indication of an ongoing plan for the series. Had they been able to complete episode 16 (the actual last intended episode of the 10th season) before Covid hit, those additional six episodes would have never existed. If only that were the case...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Yes, someone did say COVID costs came out of a pre-established budget. If I recall, that was a generic statement about all productions, not anything specific to UN.

Edit: Now that I think of it, they did say it was specific to UN. However, I think this lies under the category of 'not yet substantiated' claim
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LateReg wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:05 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:41 pm there are productions going, but with quite a bit of sacrifices being made. Walking Dead 's less zombies and limited interaction format is very noticeable.
That is very noticeable but, as I've said before, I think that those six tacked-on episodes were more of an experiment to get the industry moving than an indication of an ongoing plan for the series. Had they been able to complete episode 16 (the actual last intended episode of the 10th season) before Covid hit, those additional six episodes would have never existed. If only that were the case...
not to derail with non TP talk - but The Negan backstory I would have loved to have seen properly shot. I would like to have seen him being a gym teacher and interacting with kids, other teachers, they chintzed out with him having lost the job already and playing nintendo online by himself with teenagers.

I loved Lynch's hotel room eps personally, so I think he can move ahead with something like that, that has less sprawl, locations, etc. I loved the Three R's too.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I don't know how people are still watching that show (I mean, in relatively large numbers, not individuals), like what is it now ten or twelve seasons later? And it's still popular? I gave up in season 3, maybe I saw a bit of 4, can't remember. Seemed like a very one-concept show, which isn't always a bad thing, but for it to run so long just surprises me, though I'm sure there's numerous subplots and storylines within that one concept. I usually don't make it past three seasons of most shows. Lost was the rare exception for me. Dexter was another one (and quite frankly some of those later seasons were pretty bad, especially the last one). And I don't like zombies so surprised I lasted as long as I did. They've definitely managed to keep it running a long time, plus spin-offs, and movies. Amazing way to keep a franchise going. Would have loved to see that for Twin Peaks (to some extent).

But yeah, let's stick to the rules and not wander too far off topic here. It never occurred to me Lynch would do remote directing until someone else pointed out what that photo could mean, but it probably was just a mixing station, remastering MD.

We've been talking a lot about how the pandemic might have delayed things for Twin Peaks, but I'm surprised Lynch and Frost didn't start seriously talking about making more (I'm assuming they didn't, but we don't know really) not longer after The Return. I know that took five years, and Lynch said the next installment could take that long, but I also wonder why they couldn't have maybe gone into production sooner. Not 2017. But somewhere between 2018 and 2020. Maybe there just weren't enough ideas coalescing together. Or maybe Showtime, despite what they claimed, just weren't that keen on more after all.

I said on another thread, I wonder did they ever try to pitch it to other networks after ABC cancelled it in 1991? I suspect Lynch may have discussed it with Bravo in 1993, but did they ever try to sell it to anyone else considering they owned the rights or was the backlash just so strong that it really was just over for the rest of the 90's? And why didn't they try to revive it earlier, early or mid 2000's. It seemed the 25 years thing was a coincidence, that got them thinking about it again, but I don't think they were waiting for it purposefully. I wonder how much they really like being in that world, given Lynch has said he loves the world of Twin Peaks, even in The Return they both seemed to want to spend a lot of time outside of it - maybe they like the idea of it more than actually working or being in that world. And I expect, if we get a Season 4, it will also be outside of the town quite a bit - if not totally.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

More Twin Peaks set outside of the town or in the same mould as The Return - all I can think is whatever comes next it will be very different to season 3. ENTIRELY set in the town, now that would be a bold move.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, true. Which is why I think some of us thought Unrecorded Night (Wisteria) might be Twin Peaks Season 4, just no longer set in Twin Peaks, following Carrie and Richard in whatever world they're in now. I'd say the story would weave back to Twin Peaks again, and/or feature an alternative Twin Peaks. But if Unrecorded Night/Wisteria is something else, then the next season of Twin Peaks - if we get one - could still be called Twin Peaks, I suppose (even if it's not set there at all or only partially).
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

After watching the BTS footage and reading Room to Dream, I've never discounted the possibility that Lynch was simply exhausted after the end of S3. It was a massive project with considerable stress.

Also, he works on loads of different things as we all know, and it is very easy for time to drift by when you do that.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Which one of the regulars in this thread was the one who has access to production listings for their job? Was it Histeria? I keep seeing a project in Active Development on a handful of production listings called "The Blue Rose". It's probably just a coincidence but if you are able to see details behind paywalls let us know if it's anything!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:31 pm Which one of the regulars in this thread was the one who has access to production listings for their job? Was it Histeria? I keep seeing a project in Active Development on a handful of production listings called "The Blue Rose". It's probably just a coincidence but if you are able to see details behind paywalls let us know if it's anything!
Had an eye on it last week. They're casting for it, too, but it seems like an homage at most. Domain was freshly minted but private registration details. Will take another peek, the cast roles were curiously Peaksy but again it seems like an homage.