Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Stuck in a loop is a good way to put it. It definitely was probably intentional, but something about it seemed a bit convenient too - like a quick way to reintroduce then wrap up a storyline from 25 years ago that in the fictional world itself probably would and should have been wrapped up sooner. I think it worked for the most part, though. And it probably was intentional, just felt a bit jarring to me - at least the Norma/Big Ed/Nadine part.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:32 pm Stuck in a loop is a good way to put it. It definitely was probably intentional, but something about it seemed a bit easy too - like an easy way to quickly reintroduce then wrap up a storyline from 25 years ago that probably would and should have been wrapped up sooner. I think it worked for the most part, though. And it probably was intentional, just felt a bit jarring to me - at least the Norma/Big Ed/Nadine part.
I see what you're getting at with Norma/Big Ed, but that never felt that way to me. It seemed to fit with the slice-of-life, eavesdropped method of storytelling, only in this case we finally got to see something substantial. But I can see how it would feel jarring if the method didn't feel right to you in the first place. I mean, on one hand, it is jarring! You never know who's gonna appear or when, especially on first viewing! As for the scene itself, I think it's one of Lynch's absolute, most moving, best. The instant referencing of the past with Big Ed's customary entrance, the back-and-forth subversion of expectations and toying with emotions, the stop-start of the music, the meditative feeling of Big Ed seemingly willing the situation into existence (another possible instance of "is this really happening?" or possibly a TM-related calm), the hand coming into frame--all perfect, imo.

And yes, mtwentz, you're right. Bobby seems to have at least somewhat broken free of the loop, perhaps per his father's vision. But he's still watching others caught in similar loops.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Stavrogyn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 am
eyeboogers wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:04 am I another small country (Denmark) our numbers have five doubled in a couple of weeks, due to Eurocup parties :-(
Oh, yeah, I can imagine :o My people are the same: if we are winning, there is no stopping us going to the streets and celebrating like crazy.
I'm in Scotland. We don't have cause to take to the streets and celebrate over football. :D
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

LateReg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:01 pm
I see what you're getting at with Norma/Big Ed, but that never felt that way to me. It seemed to fit with the slice-of-life, eavesdropped method of storytelling, only in this case we finally got to see something substantial. But I can see how it would feel jarring if the method didn't feel right to you in the first place. I mean, on one hand, it is jarring! You never know who's gonna appear or when, especially on first viewing! As for the scene itself, I think it's one of Lynch's absolute, most moving, best. The instant referencing of the past with Big Ed's customary entrance, the back-and-forth subversion of expectations and toying with emotions, the stop-start of the music, the meditative feeling of Big Ed seemingly willing the situation into existence (another possible instance of "is this really happening?" or possibly a TM-related calm), the hand coming into frame--all perfect, imo.
The diner scene is definitely a beautiful scene.
LateReg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:01 pm And yes, mtwentz, you're right. Bobby seems to have at least somewhat broken free of the loop, perhaps per his father's vision. But he's still watching others caught in similar loops.
I saw people discussing on reddit recently that Shelly hasn't really evolved very much as a character. I think they were right. If anything, it seems she's devolved, back to dating dodgy bad guy types. As the reddit poster pointed out, she even leaves her daughter and ex-husband in the diner and runs out to Red. I think they said she's even enabling Becky's addiction/bad marriage.

This is their post:

Wings550
Shelly hardly learned anything nor had any real character development throughout all the way to S3 where she blatantly runs out of the diner right in front of Bobby and their daughter to make out with the thug Red as Bobby looks on with a crushed heart along with Becky in utter disbelief of the sight.

She was enabling her daughter with the drugs, nearly taking her to the point their loser scumbag son-in-law Steven ended up. History repeating itself through generations handed down in the family.

While Bobby turned out to be one of the brightest turnarounds ever imaginable. Living out what his father saw in him.

She preferred criminals to be with. That's why it didn't work out with her and Bobby after he turned his life around for the better.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mid-way now into the week when production was supposed to begin according to the reddit rumours yet nary a sound. For those of you who follow the weather reports and numbers videos, have you noticed anything different?
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:53 pm Mid-way now into the week when production was supposed to begin according to the reddit rumours yet nary a sound. For those of you who follow the weather reports and numbers videos, have you noticed anything different?
Not watched any of those vids. I guess the only thing close to being worth analysing is the pic Sabrina posted of Lynch sitting in the room with the editing computer. Maybe a subtle nod to him being back at work on something.

Other than that it's another slow news week.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Could be a remote directing station I suppose and maybe some sort of production or pre-production is going on. We'll see, I suppose, but I'm mostly deciding to dismiss those rumours now, though maybe not entirely. I can't see any announcements being made, though.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I bet Lynch, Sutherland & Co. are just too busy for making sounds as they're working on TWO productions even as we speak. The best they can manage is an odd social media burp.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ha. I'm guessing this is sarcasm, but I never know for sure with you - for all I know you're being serious! :P
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

For what it’s worth I was told that Unrecorded Night might end up being a movie and that Kyle/Laura Dern are set for TP4 while the cast might still be being rounded out. Again it’s in the very early stages but not much is being let out about another TP and UN. I’m not sure if there are any scripts in place as well.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Not directing this at you, Dougie, but at those who are claiming to know insider knowledge - the story seems to always change. It just makes me more skeptical. If anything, I could see Twin Peaks ending up as a movie, not Unrecorded Night - which was copyrighted as thirteen episodes. Unless that's Twin Peaks and the other project - also known as Wisteria - is a movie or something shorter for Netflix. But, yeah, the constant changing story and speculation just tells me these rumour spreaders don't know all that much and are just guessing like everyone else. I'm willing to believe a couple of people might have seen studio documents, but I doubt they really know anything. And if anyone is closely connected to the production, I imagine they're keeping things quiet, not spreading rumours online.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:26 pm Ha. I'm guessing this is sarcasm, but I never know for sure with you - for all I know you're being serious! :P
:wink:
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:24 pm Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Could be a remote directing station I suppose and maybe some sort of production or pre-production is going on. We'll see, I suppose, but I'm mostly deciding to dismiss those rumours now, though maybe not entirely. I can't see any announcements being made, though.
That pic isn't new though is it? It's pre hair cut by the looks of things.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:56 pm Not directing this at you, Dougie, but at those who are claiming to know insider knowledge - the story seems to always change. It just makes me more skeptical. If anything, I could see Twin Peaks ending up as a movie, not Unrecorded Night - which was copyrighted as thirteen episodes. Unless that's Twin Peaks and the other project - also known as Wisteria - is a movie or something shorter for Netflix. But, yeah, the constant changing story and speculation just tells me these rumour spreaders don't know all that much and are just guessing like everyone else. I'm willing to believe a couple of people might have seen studio documents, but I doubt they really know anything. And if anyone is closely connected to the production, I imagine they're keeping things quiet, not spreading rumours online.
Yeah, canthaveit, whose posts always seemed to have the ring of truth to me that some of these other rumours have lacked, is being open that they know nothing.
I have to think that if a major production gets underway, we'll know about it soon enough. Someone will take a picture of Lynch on set or something. It almost always happens that way. I really have my doubts anything is happening right now though. It's pretty depressing.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:56 pm Not directing this at you, Dougie, but at those who are claiming to know insider knowledge - the story seems to always change. It just makes me more skeptical. If anything, I could see Twin Peaks ending up as a movie, not Unrecorded Night - which was copyrighted as thirteen episodes. Unless that's Twin Peaks and the other project - also known as Wisteria - is a movie or something shorter for Netflix. But, yeah, the constant changing story and speculation just tells me these rumour spreaders don't know all that much and are just guessing like everyone else. I'm willing to believe a couple of people might have seen studio documents, but I doubt they really know anything. And if anyone is closely connected to the production, I imagine they're keeping things quiet, not spreading rumours online.
Yeah I’m pretty sure UN will end up being just a Netflix original show based on the copyrighted episodes but I should’ve mentioned that my source said that they don’t know anything specific about UN and was just speculating that it could be a movie like the mini movies we heard about before. That’s my fault there but it definitely seems like Lynch and Co. might be playing the disinformation game. However my source was definitive about the Twin Peaks season 4 being separate from UN.
"Jade give two rides."