Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 pm I know, but as I said in another thread they could have had her gazing into space somewhere, perhaps with Norma looking on sadly, muttering about time or whatever the quote from Mark Frost's book was. Would give a bit more character depth and would make much much more sense to the narrative - yet also serve a similar purpose - as the 119 lady. You could say the same about having Josie instead of Naido. Catherine in the roadhouse instead of some of the randos discussing Billy and drugs and other non-sequiturs, etc. There was a lot of random stuff that seemed to detract from the main narrative, whereas had they replaced if some of that with cameos from some of the original cast, it might have added more depth and enriched the world a bit more. But, c'est la vie.
I remember Frost saying in a podcast interview that he addressed some things (Annie's fate, Leo's fate) in his book that he and Lynch 'didn't have time to address' in the movie.

I actually laughed when I heard that. They had plenty of time to address those things; it was an artistic choice on both their parts to not address the fates of certain characters.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, they had plenty of time to. Especially if they cut down on some of the other stuff which - in my opinion - didn't add anything to the world and often came across as weirdness for weirdness sake, which I often like too, but in many cases didn't. I could have done without all the roadhouse conversations - one or two of them went a long way. Audrey's long rambling scenes didn't add much to her character either, though I loved the idea of her being trapped somewhere we're not sure of. The 119 lady and a lot of that kind of stuff just made me roll my eyes, especially as it was repeated so much. A few of the little suggestions I made above are infinitely better than that kind of stuff. Or at least arguably more important to either the narrative or just the enrichment of the world. I get that in some cases they couldn't line up schedules or other things with some of the actors, but doesn't seem like they bothered in a lot of these cases. I discussed more of this in the other thread too - about me not understanding, as a writer, a lot of their decisions about under-utilizing the main cast, aside from focusing more on Cooper/Dougie's story and expanding the canvas outside of Twin Peaks, it still felt weird. I love the loving tributes to deceased cast members, but under-using the living original cast felt weird to me. I understood it in FWWM, as that was confined to a 2-hour-ish timeframe and also focused more on Laura's story and she didn't interact with a lot of those people. But I don't understand it in The Return - I would have had they chosen to focus more on Dougie/Coop and didn't have time for everyone else, but they made plenty of time for sweeping scenes, slow ladies leaving rooms, rando roadhouse musical numbers and conversations (I was more okay with the musical numbers than the convos), etc. etc. But, again, c'est la vie.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm Yeah, they had plenty of time to. Especially if they cut down on some of the other stuff which - in my opinion - didn't add anything to the world and often came across as weirdness for weirdness sake, which I often like too, but in many cases didn't. I could have done without all the roadhouse conversations - one or two of them went a long way. Audrey's long rambling scenes didn't add much to her character either, though I loved the idea of her being trapped somewhere we're not sure of. The 119 lady and a lot of that kind of stuff just made me roll my eyes, especially as it was repeated so much. A few of the little suggestions I made above are infinitely better than that kind of stuff. Or at least arguably more important to either the narrative or just the enrichment of the world. I get that in some cases they couldn't line up schedules or other things with some of the actors, but doesn't seem like they bothered in a lot of these cases. I discussed more of this in the other thread too - about me not understanding, as a writer, a lot of their decisions about under-utilizing the main cast, aside from focusing more on Cooper/Dougie's story and expanding the canvas outside of Twin Peaks, it still felt weird. I love the loving tributes to deceased cast members, but under-using the living original cast felt weird to me. I understood it in FWWM, as that was confined to a 2-hour-ish timeframe and also focused more on Laura's story and she didn't interact with a lot of those people. But I don't understand it in The Return - I would have had they chosen to focus more on Dougie/Coop and didn't have time for everyone else, but they made plenty of time for sweeping scenes, slow ladies leaving rooms, rando roadhouse musical numbers and conversations (I was more okay with the musical numbers than the convos), etc. etc. But, again, c'est la vie.
I did NOT like Audrey's scenes on the first watch. I have since fallen in love with them. And it has a big payoff in the end, in my opinion.

Audrey's scenes are now some of my favorites.

I love the 1-1-9 woman, the guy in the jail, the accountant, the low lifes at Beulah's. Those are the kind of quirky characters that only Lynch can do.

I am not a huge fan of the Roadhouse scenes, except for the one with the Asian girl who gets bullied by the motorbike guys. That was freaky.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

DougieJones wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:09 pm I’m almost positive that Sabrina in the reddit Q&A said that they wanted him back and he wasn’t doing so well at the time. I could be wrong though. I think we would’ve seen him in the red room when Coop sees Leland, TEOTA, etc.
Nope. https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... r_of_twin/ No such mention.

Sutherland is probably the last person who'd let such information slip.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I’m pretty sure this is the comment that was about Chet coming back. I’m not sure though. “Unfortunately, he was unable to join us. I love him too - both his character and he as a person. He's wonderful!!”

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... &context=3
"Jade give two rides."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I am going with Frost’s reason for Isaak not being in it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ahhh ok that's why, I searched for his name.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

If this hasn’t already been said, Frost says in the Bushman book that he (Frost) actually suggested using Chet Desmond in the show and Lynch was disinterested. So there are a few versions of the story floating around.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 pm If this hasn’t already been said, Frost says in the Bushman book that he (Frost) actually suggested using Chet Desmond in the show and Lynch was disinterested. So there are a few versions of the story floating around.
It was mentioned but I think it's worth re-emphasizing that Frost has said in two separate places that there was no place for Desmond in the story. And Sutherland's statement on Reddit, if you parse her words, does not really contradict Frost's assertions.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

From the "most assuredly means absolutely nothing but it's a slow news day so why not spend like 2 pages talking about it" file:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRP2KbLlbBe ... =copy_link

Looks like a pic of Lynch at something that could be a remote directing station (phones, monitors)? Maybe the possibility of directing second unit stuff remotely? Or another Zoom pre-production meeting? Or perhaps an editing station and he's overseeing more transfer work? (insert shrug emoji here)
Last edited by Ickles on Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Is it future? Or is it past?
Attachments
BEE56015-F0D4-4131-8894-EBBB9B2E7507.jpeg
BEE56015-F0D4-4131-8894-EBBB9B2E7507.jpeg (283.84 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
"Jade give two rides."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

If I'd have to guess I'd say that's just Lynch's pc at home. The interior seems like it'd fit the style of his LA house.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

enumbs wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:19 am
Jerry Horne wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am I wish it was more than Lynch hearing a song he likes and then thinking to himself "I should mention that on my weather thingy".
As a Brit I assumed he was referring to last night’s match as a “wicked game”.
Haha, I guess we wouldn't have gotten along too well if we had watched the match together, because pretty much everyone I know was satisfied with how the match ended :D (Except one friend who worked in London for two years.) But my team was sent home a long time ago; you guys at least won a medal.

By the way, à propos Histeria, and people suggesting a few times that they might be Sabrina Sutherland; if I recall correctly, Histeria expressed knowledge about the UEFA Euro 2020 right before it started, and I just have a hard time imagining an American woman working in Hollywood following a European soccer tournament. (But I know people in my home country who watch Super Bowl, so I guess anything is possible!)

However, even if Histeria turned out to be David Lynch himself, I wouldn't care; they would always be Histeria to me :)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Stavrogyn wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:31 am By the way, à propos Histeria, and people suggesting a few times that they might be Sabrina Sutherland; if I recall correctly, Histeria expressed knowledge about the UEFA Euro 2020 right before it started, and I just have a hard time imagining an American woman working in Hollywood following a European soccer tournament.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRMsIVwJVNn ... =copy_link
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

At least it's a recent pic. Not something ancient like those from the time of S3 shoot.