Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Rainwater wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 am You know, I used to think it'd be great to see more of Chet Desmond, but as much as I love the character, I've come to really appreciate the complete mystery of his disappearance. I like it being unresolved
I think the investigation would be the interesting part, especially as it would mean exploring Deer Meadow more.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wonder if it even exists anymore? They moved the trailer park setting to Twin Peaks in The Return. And if Twin Peaks has turned so bad with the evolution of time, maybe Deer Meadow (which was already even worse than TP) went so bad it just imploded in on itself and disappeared off the map. According to twinpeaks.fandom.com, it was mentioned in the Mark Frost books, but was it a current mention or a past one - i.e., does it still exist in the TP universe?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Jerry Horne wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am I wish it was more than Lynch hearing a song he likes and then thinking to himself "I should mention that on my weather thingy".
As a Brit I assumed he was referring to last night’s match as a “wicked game”.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

sneakydave wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:55 am Lynch thinking about Chris Isaak's Wicked Game in today's weather report. Hopefully Chester Desmond is on his mind....
Brings back some memories. I worked in a muffin shop in San Francisco, all the workers were Peaks Freaks, that song played constantly on the radio.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Jerry Horne wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 am
Rainwater wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 am You know, I used to think it'd be great to see more of Chet Desmond, but as much as I love the character, I've come to really appreciate the complete mystery of his disappearance. I like it being unresolved
I think the investigation would be the interesting part, especially as it would mean exploring Deer Meadow more.
my interpretation is that the Dear Meadow Deputy Cliff Howard killed Chet Desmond. Cliff Howard lived in that Fat trout trailer park, and I think the ring was under his trailer (?) I think that's why the Dear Meadow cops are stand-off ish with feds, because they are dirty and sell drugs to the likes of folks like Theresa Banks, and don't want outsiders snooping.

I think karma came for Cliff when Bobby kills him, and maybe that was the universe's way of doling out punishment for Desmond being killed. I think one of the FWWM script drafts had more stuff about the Dear Meadow cops being dirty, or thats my memory playing tricks.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Weren’t we supposed to see Chet Desmond in The Return but he had to decline due to health reasons?
"Jade give two rides."
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Unless my memory is off, I think Mark Frost said in the Bushman book, he bounced around bringing Chet Desmond back, and Lynch vetoed it.

The O & A guy says Isaak told him he was supposed to be in it, but he was ill.

If he were in it, possible just as a person in the lodge I would think. or maybe Frost kicked around Desmond as a back up for Jeffries. I dunno.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think once Lynch had "Kale" back full-time (and playing a few characters), he lost interest in Chet.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:01 pm
Jerry Horne wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 am
my interpretation is that the Dear Meadow Deputy Cliff Howard killed Chet Desmond. Cliff Howard lived in that Fat trout trailer park, and I think the ring was under his trailer (?) I think that's why the Dear Meadow cops are stand-off ish with feds, because they are dirty and sell drugs to the likes of folks like Theresa Banks, and don't want outsiders snooping.

I think karma came for Cliff when Bobby kills him, and maybe that was the universe's way of doling out punishment for Desmond being killed. I think one of the FWWM script drafts had more stuff about the Dear Meadow cops being dirty, or thats my memory playing tricks.
That used to be my interpretation, but I think the original script had him putting on the ring and then disappearing. In the final cut, the camera fades before he touches the ring.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I’m almost positive that Sabrina in the reddit Q&A said that they wanted him back and he wasn’t doing so well at the time. I could be wrong though. I think we would’ve seen him in the red room when Coop sees Leland, TEOTA, etc.
"Jade give two rides."
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:04 pm I think once Lynch had "Kale" back full-time (and playing a few characters), he lost interest in Chet.
I agree. I was a little surprised Chet's name even came up in the blue rose scene.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

DougieJones wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:09 pm I’m almost positive that Sabrina in the reddit Q&A said that they wanted him back and he wasn’t doing so well at the time. I could be wrong though. I think we would’ve seen him in the red room when Coop sees Leland, TEOTA, etc.
And how much of a payoff was it to see Leland for two seconds in the Red Room :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I posted an interview with Ian Buchanan recently on the Random Twin Peaks thread where he said he was meant to return but couldn't as was filming something else, then there's talk Piper Laurie was supposed to come back as Catherine but they couldn't work it out, and then they also considered Joan Chen as Josie I think but couldn't figure out how to make it work. So there were a few people orbiting the project that didn't make it back. Strangely, Heather Graham's Annie doesn't seem to have been considered at all, though the actress herself was willing. I'd like to see them all back if there's a Season 4.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:27 pm I posted an interview with Ian Buchanan recently on the Random Twin Peaks thread where he said he was meant to return but couldn't as was filming something else, then there's talk Piper Laurie was supposed to come back as Catherine but they couldn't work it out, and then they also considered Joan Chen as Josie I think but couldn't figure out how to make it work. So there were a few people orbiting the project that didn't make it back. Strangely, Heather Graham's Annie doesn't seem to have been considered at all, though the actress herself was willing. I'd like to see them all back if there's a Season 4.
I think once they decided on the Judy storyline, Annie was toast. Coop went into the Lodge to defeat Judy and any mention of Annie detracted from that.

Would love to have seen Ian, but undoubtedly would have been a small role. Hard to imagine they could not have slotted him in for a one day shoot.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I know, but as I said in another thread they could have had her gazing into space somewhere, perhaps with Norma looking on sadly, muttering about time or whatever the quote from Mark Frost's book was. Would give a bit more character depth and would make much much more sense to the narrative - yet also serve a similar purpose - as the 119 lady. You could say the same about having Josie instead of Naido. Catherine in the roadhouse instead of some of the randos discussing Billy and drugs and other non-sequiturs, etc. There was a lot of random stuff that seemed to detract from the main narrative, whereas had they replaced even some of that with cameos from some of the original cast, it might have added more depth and enriched the world a bit more. But, c'est la vie.