Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Agent Earle »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:17 pm
Agent Earle wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:12 pm Yeah, and Clint at approximately Donner's age is still pumping them out like there's no tomorrow. But - can you honestly say the working process of these men can compare to Lynch's handling of his Art, with his flow and frequency?
Clint Eastwood has a totally different workflow. He doesnt write the scripts and stuff, and he shoots them quick and fast. He's far more prolific than Lynch. He would never do something like Eraserhead over 5 years with super meticulous lighting and stuff. He's known for doing things in one take and just plowing through.
PRECISELY my point.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I would hope Twin Peaks is completed sooner rather than later. But a creator may not have the fan's insatiable eagerness or impatience for more - they sometimes like to take their time and not think about their own mortality. Plenty of examples of that.

While I do think it's probably how I laid it out on the previous page (an original Netflix show that might be currently delayed, with hopes to then do a Twin Peaks Season 4 down the road), I do wonder if it's all just a smokescreen for further Twin Peaks. Easy to pick a working title or two to copyright the scripts under. Yes, the Netflix thing throws a spanner into that theory a bit - but it could be inaccurate/mistaken for Showtime, could be it still is TP and Netflix, etc. etc. But I'm circling back to old discussions now and we've all spent well over 100, maybe even 200 or more pages, discussing whether it's going to be TP, TP-related/anthology, or entirely original. I'm just saying - it could be that the original rumour got the Netflix part wrong and/or it was used as a smokescreen or there's some deal in place we don't know between Netflix and Showtime and it's all just to hide the fact that it's more TP. But it's probably an original series with hopes to then do more TP. (Maybe Lynch had the desire to do another original series before committing to more Peaks.)
Last edited by Jonah on Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, O & A said there would a season 4, season 5, and a movie. and that Lynch was waiting to announce until after the 2018 emmys because TP was a limited series, and didnt wanna jeopordize "scamming" the emmy comittees that it was a limited series, when it actually continuing.

O & A also thought Lynch would do a Fathom events recut of the Return for theaters that would be like 2 -3 hours, and an integrated FWWM cut at one point. despite Lynch has said lots of times "nothing should be added or subtracted" and stands by the original run times. any additional footage he likes becomes extra like "other things that happened" or "the missing pieces".
branvol

Post by branvol »

DougieJones wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:00 pm For Twin Peaks, there will be a fourth season, not a movie. It’s in the early stages but Kyle is set for it.
One of our moderators had a chat with the good Kyle back in January. Wonder if this came up...

...?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:19 pm
Jonah wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:14 pm I didn't factor Lynch's age into his plans nor did I say just because he plans to do more Twin Peaks that he will get to (but I hope he will). I really think talks about his age and health should be left out of conversations like this, though - it's obscene. And it could also be irrelevant. A 30 year old planning a major project could end up having anything happen to them. An 80 year old planning a project could live to 90 or 100. But really, it's just best not to discuss things like that.
I'm sorry if I offended you, Jonah. And whoever else I might've, of course. It's not like I derive some cheap, twisted thrill from such talk. But I could not very well stare at the elephant in the room and keep my mouth shut.
I believe we had this discussion a year or two ago on this same thread. Wait, we are...caught in a time loop, like Agent Cooper, doomed to repeat the same discussion over and over!

But Earle you do pinpoint one reason that I am not getting my hopes up too much and yes it is the elephant in the room.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Lynch is like a co-author on Room to Dream ; the details about getting sick twice during the Return, and the 16 hour days taking a toll on him, are things he's been upfront about it and come from him first hand.

the other thing I took from Room to Dream, is how important fine art/painting are to him, and recognition as an artist who can get solo shows in major galleries and museums all around the world, Paris, NYC, London etc is something he's always wanted, and he seemed frustrated even as a major movie director, he wanted to really break through with fine art. 2007-2015 when he wasn't making features, he seems really proud of those years, all the art he produced and solo shows he did. PAFA where he went to school in Philadelphia did a major retrospective in 2014. so it's also possible to me, that stuff is more where his heart is at, and he can work at his own pace, and not as grueling.

*though it is a bit odd they've cut back on 'what is David working on' videos on you tube.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:33 pm *though it is a bit odd they've cut back on 'what is David working on' videos on you tube.
As I've stated earlier: not just cut back, there are none, coinciding with the wisteria rumors. Seems he's busy.

As for DJ's info, I feel it's a bit too good to be true. So I'll take that grain of sand. Would be great nonetheless.

And yeah, I'm staring at the elephant too.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Maybe the reason for $85 million budget is that it’s heavy on CGI? It may not necessarily be a huge production with a lot of actors, multiple locations with a long run time. For now, no high profile actors have been associated with it to justify the huge budget.
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

Wasn't there another rumor going around similar to DJ's (HHM, maybe) stating that both Lynch fans and Twin Peaks fans would be very happy? I admit I was excited to read DJ's post, but it wasn't the first time I'd heard it alluded to like that as separate projects. I think I sort of rolled my eyes when I heard the first time, and assumed that it would be a spin-off or tangentially related--but seeing it two times gives it all a bit more weight.

There was also a rumor that season 3 was actually just the first half of what Lynch/Frost wrote or planned (3A) and that a season 4 would actually be like season 3B. If that rumor has any truth to it, I would assume that a potential season 4 would look a lot like Part 18, so the need for a lot of the original cast outside Kyle and Sheryl would be minimal, and a 3A's ending was a good stopping point for awhile. Perhaps Unrecorded Night has to do with the "unofficial version" of events in TP, and Wisteria is a new series using the box of ideas Lynch and Sutherland went through awhile back. How much of Part 18 was Frost, does anyone know? Didn't Frost say something about not "getting" the whole Richard/Linda/Carrie thing? If Part 18 was all/mostly Lynch, that could also explain Frost's lack of involvement in any further TP.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

krishnanspace wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:16 pm Maybe the reason for $85 million budget is that it’s heavy on CGI? It may not necessarily be a huge production with a lot of actors, multiple locations with a long run time. For now, no high profile actors have been associated with it to justify the huge budget.
Primarily, that budget seems to me like a wild and wishful guess. Lynch deciding on some impressive CGI that would cost a lot - that seems to me unlikely given what we have seen in The Return. The CGI in that was largely lo-fi in style apart from in Part 8. Even in that, it wasn't the absolute highest-cost CGI available surely? How much was spent on VFX/ CGI on The Return?

In terms of the direction he could be going in, I just don't see Lynch deciding to focus that heavily on visual effects which would cost a heck of a lot. I'd imagine he's more interested in the straightforward shooting of the piece and its visuals.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

So what's your stance on all these latest "two projects etc." rumours, Norm? You think it's happening or what?
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I know IMDB isn't always reliable. But I'm pretty sure they've changed their UN page to "filming". It used to say nothing not even pre production. Oops its actually the David Lynch page that says filming but still they're updating it.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

mojo1976 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:34 am How much of Part 18 was Frost, does anyone know? Didn't Frost say something about not "getting" the whole Richard/Linda/Carrie thing? If Part 18 was all/mostly Lynch, that could also explain Frost's lack of involvement in any further TP.
if you read the Bushman book, Conversations with Mark Frost, yeah, he doesnt get what Richard and Linda mean, and that's a Lynch insert. I think the overall spine of Part 18, MF was involved in writing.

I don't think season 3B plan is correct. I think it's a miracle the Return happened, and they knew they had maybe one shot at this, and wanted an ending they could live with if there was no more.
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Regarding the budget - I think its customary to make a budget when you pitch something, and a lot of folks shoot for the moon rather than be sheepish if they've been in the business a long time, usually a better position to ask for too much than too little. I think its possible this @canhaveit person saw some pitch/presentation material. I dunno whether @canthaveit works at netflix or maybe an agency or something. they also saw a list of locations. (assuming this person isnt a crank)
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Agent Earle wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:52 am So what's your stance on all these latest "two projects etc." rumours, Norm? You think it's happening or what?
Two projects seems very possible. Last year Lynch was mentioning how the future was so bright he had to wear shades.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.