Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by DougieJones »

That would definitely explain the 13 different published scripts/episodes for Unrecorded Night. But I know Lynch said that he would be working on a continuing story if it weren’t for the pandemic so I don’t take that as an anthology type project. He already did Hotel Room for HBO and because it didn’t turn out well I don’t think he would go back to the anthologies. But again with Lynch you never know. He said Twin Peaks was dead as a door nail for years but maybe he got that itch to do an anthology again
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

An anthology series could still be a continuing story, though, depending on how you define anthology. I mean, the stories could all be merged together or interconnected, not necessarily one-story-per-episode or even if some of it was like that, those stories could still continue across multiple episodes and the overall thing could be classed as a continung story - or it's just one big LA-set phantasmagoria with aliens, cowboys, TP characters, hopping from LA into in-between spaces and realms, where Audrey's moaning about Charlie again, while Carrie and Richard are seeking the help of aliens to defeat Judy, and talking cows and rabbits are giving us weird little soliloquies to end each episode before a big musical number!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Like Wisteria, some long and some short. Lynch actually might’ve had an idea for a Twin Peaks anthology series that would technically be a season 4. (The Owls Aren’t What They Seem) Some parts set in the 50’s, some current day, and maybe even in the 80’s. That way you could have say Young Harry and Young Margaret. Current day Hawk and Bobby. 1980’s Laura like how they did it in The Return. I don’t know I’m just spitballing here. Jonah I would pay a decent amount of money to see the show you just described!
"Jade give two rides."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

DougieJones wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:11 pm
Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:01 pm She did but I'm not sure if that's indicative of the character being bald or why it would be important, but of course with Lynch anything goes. Something about it made me think more of Antelope and the aliens, though, particularly if Lynch actually wanted her to shave her head it could mean an essential part of the plot.
I would love to see Antelope in all honesty. It’s such a fascinating idea and it really could have been Lynch’s magnum opus. Maybe the Linda part will be a Diane without the wig or something. You’re absolutely correct with Lynch anything goes. I do feel like Diane wearing the wigs is important for some reason because they could’ve just dyed her hair the color they needed (like Kyle). Does anyone here know if she shaved her head for The Return?
I don't think she did. Supposedly Lynch has asked her to and she hasn't agreed yet.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/dav ... w-project/
Last edited by TwinsPeak on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I think in a more recent interview she said that Lynch told her she might not have to shave her head. That would line up with Diane wearing wigs I think.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

DougieJones wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:23 pm Jonah I would pay a decent amount of money to see the show you just described!
Sabrina if you're listening - if you're looking for a novelist/screenwriter, ask Lynch to hire me to work with him on the new show! :lol: I could even try my hand at acting! 8)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:56 am HD Cameras were prohibitively expensive in the early 2000's. The productions that were using HD like the Revenge of the Sith and stuff, it was really complicated stuff then, and a lot of it was studio bound.

I know DL said things in the catching the big fish book about how he liked standard def better because HD you can see nails in the set and SD is more authentic and all that. A lot of people were convincing themselves in those days, SD movies like Chuck and Buck and Full Frontal were grade A stuff. But as soon as the price came down on HD, and then 2K, independent filmmakers curiously bailed on SD and stopped saying it was better than HD.
One of the funny things about early digital adoption in movies is just how backwards the technology was in terms of how it undid all the great streamlining innovations of camera gear from the 70s onwards - look at the BTS of the Star Wars prequels and the camera/entire set is just a mess of cables. I always thought one of the big appeals to Lynch in making Inland Empire on a consumer camera was the way he could be totally freehand with it (thinking back to the Lynch One doc where he keeps arranging shots on the "pogo stick") - Inland Empire in 2003 era HD (2003 is when it started shooting, right - the Dern monologues?) is hard to even imagine without the entire film's form changing. I suppose Lars von Trier did something similar in Dogville, but if you look at the great BTS documentary on that film it doesn't look easy work at all... and I can't imagine Lynch wearing that rig lol.

(Jumping back a page to reply to this, sorry lol!)
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:19 pm An anthology series could still be a continuing story, though, depending on how you define anthology. I mean, the stories could all be merged together or interconnected, not necessarily one-story-per-episode or even if some of it was like that, those stories could still continue across multiple episodes and the overall thing could be classed as a continung story - or it's just one big LA-set phantasmagoria with aliens, cowboys, TP characters, hopping from LA into in-between spaces and realms, where Audrey's moaning about Charlie again, while Carrie and Richard are seeking the help of aliens to defeat Judy, and talking cows and rabbits are giving us weird little soliloquies to end each episode before a big musical number!
:D <3
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:30 pm
DougieJones wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:23 pm Jonah I would pay a decent amount of money to see the show you just described!
Sabrina if you're listening - if you're looking for a novelist/screenwriter, ask Lynch to hire me to work with him on the new show! :lol: I could even try my hand at acting! 8)
One thing that strikes me is that of the Twin Peaks fans that are still left, an inordinate amount of them are writers, artists, filmmakers etc.

I have met no one who watched the return in my circle except a guy I met at my niece's wedding who is in the music business. I think he was a talent agent or something like that.

I myself wanted to be a writer at one point, but gave up on that dream long ago. Then I read about this flight attendant who wrote a novel on napkins while flying in the air...what does she have that I don't have?!

But seriously, if I ever write, it is for myself. I don't think I would try to peddle a novel anymore. I don't think I could stick with it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Agent Earle wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 pm
sneakydave wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:33 am Kyle cast as Carol Baskin's husband in a "Joe Exotic" show on Peacock.

That'll be a big role for him considering the interest in Tiger King.
I'm actually very interested in this! A lot, lot more than in the other projects he's been involved with in the last decade at any rate - especially the superhero/comic book dreck, I find nothing appealing in that kind of material whatsoever. It's strictly for kids and braindeads (I realize some of you may hate me for saying that). And it's not like that content is hard to come by since Marvel and DC ruined the modern cinema landscape a decade or so ago. I very much agree with Scorsese on the topic - if anything, he was too diplomatic about it! There, I provided you all with material for another tangent to go on and jump out of the skin to keep the boredom during this waiting game at bay :)
I'm not a big superhero movie guy myself, but it's a bit much to say that liking the genre makes a person braindead - a little condescending and sweeping perhaps. I'm sure you enjoy plenty of fantastical escapist films yourself, even if they don't necessarily involve capes. It's also a little ironic to make that statement while also expressing excitement for an adaptation of a pretty trashy and salacious reality show.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, i hear ya mtwentz. most of TP's appeal it seems, is to people in the arts. my aunt and uncle who are working class folks who really aren't interested in art tried to watch the return, they bailed when they got up to the glass box scene, and told me it was unwatchable.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

enumbs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:02 pm
Agent Earle wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 pm
sneakydave wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:33 am Kyle cast as Carol Baskin's husband in a "Joe Exotic" show on Peacock.

That'll be a big role for him considering the interest in Tiger King.
I'm actually very interested in this! A lot, lot more than in the other projects he's been involved with in the last decade at any rate - especially the superhero/comic book dreck, I find nothing appealing in that kind of material whatsoever. It's strictly for kids and braindeads (I realize some of you may hate me for saying that). And it's not like that content is hard to come by since Marvel and DC ruined the modern cinema landscape a decade or so ago. I very much agree with Scorsese on the topic - if anything, he was too diplomatic about it! There, I provided you all with material for another tangent to go on and jump out of the skin to keep the boredom during this waiting game at bay :)
I'm not a big superhero movie guy myself, but it's a bit much to say that liking the genre makes a person braindead - a little condescending and sweeping perhaps. I'm sure you enjoy plenty of fantastical escapist films yourself, even if they don't necessarily involve capes. It's also a little ironic to make that statement while also expressing excitement for an adaptation of a pretty trashy and salacious reality show.
I don't know anything about the reality show mentioned, but imo superhero movies are a profound cultural tragedy.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think the original series was more accessible, at least initially until it started to get really strange.

I can't even comprehend trying to watch The Return if I'd never seen the original series. I mean, it's an intriguing idea though. Not sure what I'd think if I didn't already have a deep love for TP. Would I like it more? Less? Not sure.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jasper wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:41 pm
I don't know anything about the reality show mentioned, but imo superhero movies are a profound cultural tragedy.
You're on a forum dedicated to a literal soap opera.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

It's fair to say that the popularity of superhero movies over more challenging films is alarming, and that the dominance of franchise movies has had a negative effect on the cinematic landscape. But it is nonsensical to say that no good superhero films exist or could possibly exist, or that people who like them are all stupid. Does it make a person stupid to find some of the lines from Guardians of the Galaxy funny, or to enjoy the action scenes in Raimi's Spider Man, or to enjoy the elegiac tone of Logan? Even if there is a lack of tonal variety in these films, there's enough that utter dismissal is inevitably reductive.