Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:54 am Maybe they will let him if he agrees to shoot the new season entirely on iPhones. Lol! (Someone once said he had considered doing that, but not sure if it's true or not - think it was?)
Is that from the Peter Deming interview with Roger Deakins? I think it was more a comment on the way Lynch loves digital and likes to work quickly/in a small-scale way.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, that's probably where I remember it from, the quote saying he would have shot the whole thing with a few iPhones if he was allowed. I think a few people took issue with that claim though!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Brad D wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:38 am You guys have fun but please take insults, attacks, and political stuff elsewhere
I second this sentiment.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just to clarify - I engaged in none of that kind of stuff. I know it wasn't aimed at me and is a general comment but as my post and the reply to it kind of came in the middle of all of that, it might look othewise lol.

And I also agree with the sentiment. This isn't the place for any of that.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

You’ve been very diplomatic Jonah.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

Metamorphia wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:08 am
Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:54 am Maybe they will let him if he agrees to shoot the new season entirely on iPhones. Lol! (Someone once said he had considered doing that, but not sure if it's true or not - think it was?)
Is that from the Peter Deming interview with Roger Deakins? I think it was more a comment on the way Lynch loves digital and likes to work quickly/in a small-scale way.
Yeah, I doubt Lynch actually would have gone with iPhone. Deming made the same comment in an interview with ACS:
It wouldn't surprise me if this production makes use of the Lumix S1H or Canon C70, two of the small form factor cameras approved of as primary cameras by Netflix.
The rolling shutter issue that ruled DSLRs and C300 out for Twin Peaks is still present, so if this is a very visual effects heavy production it will probably be a stripped down cinema camera body as the primary camera.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Interesting how quickly Lynch changed his mind after his initial comments about returning to film with season 3, film still being “the best quality”.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

enumbs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:06 am Interesting how quickly Lynch changed his mind after his initial comments about returning to film with season 3, film still being “the best quality”.
Don't remember who made the comment or on which thread, but apparently Lynch originally wanted The Return to be on film, but was eventually convinced that digital was the way to go.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

enumbs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:06 am Interesting how quickly Lynch changed his mind after his initial comments about returning to film with season 3, film still being “the best quality”.
I remember thinking he was talking about celluloid in a photographic context?

I don't think he'd ever give up the digital workflow to go back to film on a movie shoot.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

mtwentz wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:13 am
Don't remember who made the comment or on which thread, but apparently Lynch originally wanted The Return to be on film, but was eventually convinced that digital was the way to go.
I doubt that if he wanted to shoot with tiny cameras.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Cde. wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:20 am
https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/dav ... 6-on-film/
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

enumbs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:28 am
Cde. wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:20 am

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/dav ... 6-on-film/
I remember this, but I put it down to a misquote, maybe due to translation error. He later said it would be absurd to shoot on film for tv with all the processes involved.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Cde. wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:35 am I remember this, but I put it down to a misquote, maybe due to translation error. He later said it would be absurd to shoot on film for tv with all the processes involved.
Maybe, but this was quite soon after he talked about rediscovering the beauty of celluloid while editing The Missing Pieces. I think it is likely there was a brief moment when he considered returning to film after his digital conversion.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

That makes sense.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think David was undecided on what camera to shoot on for a bit. There are public appearances he did in the years between Inland and TP R where he mentioned that he talks to Deming and he tells him what cameras he's been using, which ones he likes etc. I do think film was considered for a hot minute for the Return, perhaps when they were thinking of only doing 8 or 9 episodes. Probably a lot of things were fluid and in flux then. DL said he was falling in love with celluloid again after all the high res re scanning of the FWWM footage for the missing pieces. I don't think the phone thing was ever too seriously considered. I've listened to the whole Deming/Deakins podcast, and Deming said it in a sort of joking manner that Lynch is willing to take risks and experiment, and used the iphone thing as a bit of hyperbole. O & A blew it up into a whole video and made it seem like it was more of a thing DL had really pushed for and Showtime execs rebuffed, not sure it ever made it that far. DL did get some DSLR footage with the Laura scream in the red room.