Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Her statement simply says they're not working on anything like that right now so I'll take it at that. It doesn't say nothing is happening or will happen or that the rumours are widly untrue. I do think the "right now" part means something, as if nothing at all was happening or the rumours were completely inaccurate, I don't think she'd add that part. But I think we should be careful not to try to parse and analyze her simple statement too much and just take it for what it is.

Pre-production may not have started or been pushed back. Contracts could still be in negotiations - that can take moths. Even getting to pre-production could take months. They could be in some sort of pre-pre-production. Or it's possible it's much further back than that, in early negotiations. Or something had been planned, then was cancelled/delayed, and it's on hiatus and hasn't restarted yet. If any of that is true, I don't think she'd indicate that in her response. It's just a social media response, not a legal statement, after all.

It's also possible nothing at all is happening, but that would discount the rumours and scripts entirely, or indicate something was completely cancelled, not just delayed - and I don't think she'd say "right now" if that was the case.

I agree that it is somewhat discouraging, though, in that it means they're likely not about to start shooting any day now. So I think it's probably been pushed back, if it is or was planned. Late summer or after the summer/autumn is my best guess.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:54 am Sure, but even if the show were in pre-preproduction or negotiations or whatever, one would think they would be “working on” it to some degree. I mean, she claims they’re working on the YouTube channel which must take, what, five minutes a day? If there were an imminent production, one would think even just casual conversations would eat up more time than the YouTube channel and would qualify as actively working on it for purposes of what she’s saying here.

But again, it can be read a million different ways and amounts to a hill of beans. I still find it vaguely discouraging though.

Yeah but she also refers to Twin Peaks as "his art."

At the London Festival in 2017 she said (apologies for paraphrasing from memory in lieu of an actual transcript from the night. Really hope I'm not misremembering) "contrary to popular belief David isn't retiring and The Return isn't his swan song. David will continue making his art, whether that's more Twin Peaks or something else."

Oh and I just remembered she called herself David and Twin Peaks's "internet policeman" in that same Q&A and that she "tells actors when to and not to talk."

So me calling her "enforcer" last week wasn't too far off her own self-description.
Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:05 am Her statement simply says they're not working on anything like that right now so I'll take it at that. It doesn't say nothing is happening or will happen or that the rumours are widly untrue. I do think the "right now" part means something, as if nothing at all was happening or the rumours were completely inaccurate, I don't think she'd add that part. But I think we should be careful not to try to parse and analyze her simple statement too much and just take it for what it is.
Sure. So what is it :lol:

I mean the fact we're discussing whether "right now" and "his art" are significant means our grasp extends far beyond our reach.
Last edited by Histeria on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Yeah. I've pretty much assumed that,if they're not filming yet, everything in pre-production is locked and just awaits principle photography being safe enough to commence. If that's the case, nothing to really "work on."

Also possible they lost their studio slots and have to wait until they're vacant again.

Either way, Sabrina's message tells us nothing. I don't really "take" anything from the wording apart from the belief that the ambiguity is not accidental. I've said many times here that everything they put out since the turn of the year has been ambiguous enough to interpret both ways. This continues that trend. I mean even those of us warning not to read into it are also reading into it :lol:
Last edited by Histeria on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Another thing - and I mean no disrespect to Sabrina or Lynch, but people connected to him and Peaks aren't exactly known for being truthful before a project is announced, are they?

Right before The Return, practically everyone involved was outright denying it, some close to Lynch even saying it would never happen when they knew it was happening. I don't think Sabrina was speaking about things at that point (was she?), so I'm not saying she wouldn't be truthful. I'm just saying, while there were some statments from Lynch about a continuing story and all that, some people involved outright denied and discouraged all speculation about more Twin Peaks practically right before The Return was announced, so maybe we should take everything that's said with a grain of salt? (Or, as Mordeen, posted - better to listen right now, than to talk. :lol: )
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

True. But they've been a lot more open and transparent about the possibility of S4 since 2016.

Mark, David and Sabrina have all openly discussed the possibility of more Peaks over the last four years.
Last edited by Histeria on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 am I mean even those of us warning not to read into it are also reading into it :lol:
That's true. I think it's just the nature of this thread - even when we're saying not to speculate/analyze, we are essentially doing that.
Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 am Yeah. I've pretty much assumed that,if they're not filming yet, everything in pre-production is locked and just awaits principle photography being safe enough to commence. If that's the case, nothing to really "work on."
I do think this is quite likely too.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

mtwentz wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:27 pm as far as the Delta variant goes, it is something to keep an eye on but not necessarily worry about yet. Just get vaccinated
But that's exactly the problem. Even the vaccinated are getting infected with the delta variant. Check out this article about the recent outbreak in Israel (where half of infected people were vaccinated and by the highly efficient Pfizer vaccine at that):

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/06/25/del ... ssion=true

And being a 75-year-old heavy lifelong smoker puts Lynch at highest possible risk, even though he's vaccinated. I've said it before and I'll say it again, NO project is worth the risk to his health. If this is the true cause of the delay/cancelation, I will be bummed but ultimately it's the right thing to do to protect him right now. We can only hope that a few years down the line, the situation gets better and he's able to film again. Sabrina's "right now" could very well be referring to this exact situation.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It's also possible things are just pushed back until late summer/autumn, or even next year, not necessarily a few years down the line. Is that variant a big concern in California? I know where I am, it's only currently being treated as a big concern to those who don't have two shots - so those who are unvaccinated or still with only the first shot of the vaccine are being advised to be extra careful. And while reports are coming out that those who are fully vaccinated can get the variant, it's still milder/unlikely to lead to severe symptons, right? (That's just based on where I am/what I've read - I know these things can progress in different ways and I'm not sure what it's like everywhere. If it continues to become a bigger concern, then yes - that could lead to further delays for this project, though I think things were already delayed/pushed back before there was significant news about the variant.)
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

It's starting to spread in California and so far officials are saying that the vaccinated are not at highest risk (although the situation in Israel would refute that). So I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latime ... f_amp=true
Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:26 am Another thing - and I mean no disrespect to Sabrina or Lynch, but people connected to him and Peaks aren't exactly known for being truthful before a project is announced, are they?

Right before The Return, practically everyone involved was outright denying it, some close to Lynch even saying it would never happen when they knew it was happening. I don't think Sabrina was speaking about things at that point (was she?), so I'm not saying she wouldn't be truthful. I'm just saying, while there were some statments from Lynch about a continuing story and all that, some people involved outright denied and discouraged all speculation about more Twin Peaks practically right before The Return was announced, so maybe we should take everything that's said with a grain of salt? (Or, as Mordeen, posted - better to listen right now, than to talk. :lol: )
But see, this is what confuses me the most. There were all these denials prior to the announcement in 2014. There were no hints, no liking memes, no ambiguous statements or images, none of that. But now all of a sudden there are? Also they were policing all the leaks, ensuring the secrecy for Lynch, but now they're posting all these alleged hints? Wouldn't they want to have Lynch work in total secrecy? Then why the hints and ambiguous posts? I don't know, something feels off to me about this whole situation.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

There were some ambiguous statements and hints leading up to The Return, not nearly as many, but there were some then outright denials too.

In regards to the variant, I imagine any production will still continue with face masks and other hygiene protocols for quite awhile, but they won't necessarily be cancelled, though they could be delayed.

Agreed that something feels off.

Sabrina is not outright denying and even liking posts that mention Wisteria and Netflix, Kyle posted Wisteria then backtracked, same with Sherilyn Fenn. It is strange but maybe it all simply points to something was or is planned, but nothing is happening right now.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It is for sure weird, and a lot of very mixed signals. It’s really impossible to know what to think at this point.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Maybe that in itself is somewhat encouraging - that this narrative is arguably as strange as the show's own narrative, lol.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:48 am In regards to the variant, I imagine any production will still continue with face masks and other hygiene protocols for quite awhile, but they won't necessarily be cancelled, though they could be delayed.
Of course, but even with precautions there have been outbreaks at film shoots, even those as big and expensive as Mission Impossible (and more than once at that)! Also, all those precautions are very costly and add considerably to the budget. That could be a part of the problem.

And not to harp on this but again Lynch is at higher risk than most people due to his age and history of smoking, and he may also have other health issues that contribute to his risk. Most vaccinated people may have mild symptoms from the delta variant but the risk of complications is higher with him than with most people.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Attachments
e08624b5-1a0f-4b8b-b36f-a764e26277eb.jpg
e08624b5-1a0f-4b8b-b36f-a764e26277eb.jpg (122.73 KiB) Viewed 11314 times
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birds in Hell

Post by Birds in Hell »

Sabrina's answer is incredibly gracious, given how rude and entitled the question was.