Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by eyeboogers »

Agreed with Jerry. In general we shouldn't spam this thread with things that aren't directly related to "Season 4? Or is it over after this". It would be great to know that if there is activity in the thread it is due to a new development/rumour.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Pretty sure they've probably been doing tonnes of second unit photography in the meantime. Ads had gone up in the last six months for Snoqualmie, WA shots of b-roll and drone footage that had "director feeding in remotely". Not saying that's Lynch's folks but that it's feasible to do it that way. Wouldn't be surprised if they've been getting as much non-1st unit stuff as possible films in anticipation getting started properly.

They can't use The Return clips without approval from Showtime. Don't think that will be a problem, though.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I guess for me the main thing with all this social media stuff is that while I don't doubt the sincerity and well-meaning intentions of the folks posting stuff, I do have a healthy amount of skepticism that they have the full context of what this thing actually is, especially given how tight-lipped/secretive David is with even his closest collaborators (i.e. not sharing the full script with starring cast members, talking to Kyle about reprising Cooper in person only, etc.)

In other words, just because Mary Reber was maybe contacted about a Lynch project called Wisteria and is excited to be involved she probably doesn't know how it will fit into the full narrative or what form the final thing will take, as I doubt anybody but Lynch and Sabrina does at this stage. Maybe the Palmer house will literally be used for like b-roll or flashbacks? Or maybe it will be dressed for 1956 and have nothing to do with where P18 left off/the Carrie Page stuff? Or maybe it's one episode in a larger anthology thing with other standalone films that have nothing to do with Twin Peaks? I guess I'm just having trouble buying into assuming it's TP S4, at least not as one would traditionally think of it, picking up exactly where P18 ends, etc. just based on some S3 folks potentially being involved. Especially given the tidbit that Wisteria and Unrecorded Night might be different episodic titles as opposed to one thing. Just for me it's still way too early and ambiguous to really know what eventual shape this thing will take, even if it's TP related/adjacent.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:11 pm I guess for me the main thing with all this social media stuff is that while I don't doubt the sincerity and well-meaning intentions of the folks posting stuff, I do have a healthy amount of skepticism that they have the full context of what this thing actually is, especially given how tight-lipped/secretive David is with even his closest collaborators (i.e. not sharing the full script with starring cast members, talking to Kyle about reprising Cooper in person only, etc.)
Yeah but it feels different this time. Heidi was the first to post wisteria stuff and then doubled down by confirming it is Twin Peaks specifically.*

Why would she say it's Twin Peaks if she doesn't know it's Twin Peaks.

* Sure some might say it's not clear cut as an affirmation because she didn't say the words "I confirm you are right that this is Twin Peaks." But if that's the burden of evidence to hold everything to then even watching the entire series on Netflix won't really provide it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:13 pm
Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:11 pm I guess for me the main thing with all this social media stuff is that while I don't doubt the sincerity and well-meaning intentions of the folks posting stuff, I do have a healthy amount of skepticism that they have the full context of what this thing actually is, especially given how tight-lipped/secretive David is with even his closest collaborators (i.e. not sharing the full script with starring cast members, talking to Kyle about reprising Cooper in person only, etc.)
Yeah but it feels different this time. Heidi was the first to post wisteria stuff and then doubled down by confirming it is Twin Peaks specifically.*

Why would she say it's Twin Peaks if she doesn't know it's Twin Peaks.

* Sure some might say it's not clear cut as an affirmation because she didn't say the words "I confirm you are right that this is Twin Peaks." But if that's the burden of evidence to hold everything to then even watching the entire series on Netflix won't really provide it.
When did she say that? What exactly did she say?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:16 pm When did she say that? What exactly did she say?
Someone posted a video about her wisteria tweet. They then tagged her on twitter and asked if they were wrong in assuming she's referring to new Twin Peaks or if she wanted to correct his video report/interpretation.

She replied saying: "ONE correction: it's pronounced ANDrea. Otherwise, carry on!"
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh, yes, come to think of it I do remember that now that you say it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I thought we weren’t going to focus on the actors but on Sabrina?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, thats a fairly weak confirmation. the only clarification is how her name should be pronounced, and thereby by this being her only correction, that Twin Peaks S4 is official.

I think Woodward and Bernstein actually got some facts wrong in their early reportage by tactics like this, don't say anything if I read this, and knock on the table, type stuff.
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

enumbs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:40 pm Lately I’ve been wondering the extent to which this new project (if it is in fact Twin Peaks related) will feel aesthetically and tonally similar to season 3. I’d always assumed any new season would be a radically different beast; perhaps shorter and focussed on a smaller number of characters. Like a lot of people I’d envisioned a kind of continuation of Part 18 in some respects, but I also expected the overall approach to feel as dissimilar from season 3 as that season did to the original series. But with people like Amy Shiels and Balthazar Getty hinting at their involvement, I’m starting to wonder if a fourth season will continue the fragmented narrative approach of its predecessor, jumping between the stories of Red and Shelley, the Mitchums, Janey E and the new Dougie etc.

Could this new series effectively be season 2 of The Return, and if so, would that be a disappointment? As shocking as the slow pace and otherworldly elements of the season 2 premiere were to viewers at the time, it was still largely a continuation of season 1’s approach to mood and storytelling, as one would expect from the sophomore season of a network drama. Is it too much to expect a new season to feel like another Lynch movie entirely, with its own approach to visuals, pacing, and structure? Or would anything less than a total departure be out of character for Lynch at this point in his career?
Everyone else seems to have ignored your very interesting post enumbs. In my own imagination, I foresee more Twin Peaks as being pretty darned different to The Return. None of this Wisteria rumouring hints at a similar sort of approach either - although the Rancho Rosa code for The Return is related. In terms of the bright purple colouring and general sense of joy of it all, it suggest a perhaps more uplifting continuation. With Lynch mentioning a lot of romantic 50s music and so on, the melodrama aspect of Twin Peaks seems to be coming back in style, too.

My own feeling is that the tense and dark mood of The Return was leading the way to a change marked in Part 18. There are a variety of fans here who liked or were less favourable to The Return and for them and myself I hope it is a shift into something a little more emotionally heightened. The Return was the doppleganger season. I was very happy that Lynch had returned to directing and of course Twin Peaks, but it really was a showcase of that. It very much felt like Lynch doing a whole lot of what he daydreamed about in his own 'return' and that was a great way for him to get back to filmmaking. However, I do think his future now could take proper shape more.

I know that some fans like Brad D above were not so happy with The Return and as he mentioned that Lynch is a bit of a maverick or was left alone to do as he wished with The Return, I see that as being something of an issue. It is very clear to me that Lynch works best given certain limitations to work within. I can foresee now that being the case. I find it really hard to imagine, post-pandemic (still ongoing in fact) that Netflix is going to offer a HUGE budget and unbounded freedom. In fact, I hope they don't.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:16 pm
enumbs wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:40 pm Lately I’ve been wondering the extent to which this new project (if it is in fact Twin Peaks related) will feel aesthetically and tonally similar to season 3. I’d always assumed any new season would be a radically different beast; perhaps shorter and focussed on a smaller number of characters. Like a lot of people I’d envisioned a kind of continuation of Part 18 in some respects, but I also expected the overall approach to feel as dissimilar from season 3 as that season did to the original series. But with people like Amy Shiels and Balthazar Getty hinting at their involvement, I’m starting to wonder if a fourth season will continue the fragmented narrative approach of its predecessor, jumping between the stories of Red and Shelley, the Mitchums, Janey E and the new Dougie etc.

Could this new series effectively be season 2 of The Return, and if so, would that be a disappointment? As shocking as the slow pace and otherworldly elements of the season 2 premiere were to viewers at the time, it was still largely a continuation of season 1’s approach to mood and storytelling, as one would expect from the sophomore season of a network drama. Is it too much to expect a new season to feel like another Lynch movie entirely, with its own approach to visuals, pacing, and structure? Or would anything less than a total departure be out of character for Lynch at this point in his career?
Everyone else seems to have ignored your very interesting post enumbs. In my own imagination, I foresee more Twin Peaks as being pretty darned different to The Return. None of this Wisteria rumouring hints at a similar sort of approach either - although the Rancho Rosa code for The Return is related. In terms of the bright purple colouring and general sense of joy of it all, it suggest a perhaps more uplifting continuation. With Lynch mentioning a lot of romantic 50s music and so on, the melodrama aspect of Twin Peaks seems to be coming back in style, too.

My own feeling is that the tense and dark mood of The Return was leading the way to a change marked in Part 18. There are a variety of fans here who liked or were less favourable to The Return and for them and myself I hope it is a shift into something a little more emotionally heightened. The Return was the doppleganger season. I was very happy that Lynch had returned to directing and of course Twin Peaks, but it really was a showcase of that. It very much felt like Lynch doing a whole lot of what he daydreamed about in his own 'return' and that was a great way for him to get back to filmmaking. However, I do think his future now could take proper shape more.

I know that some fans like Brad D above were not so happy with The Return and as he mentioned that Lynch is a bit of a maverick or was left alone to do as he wished with The Return, I see that as being something of an issue. It is very clear to me that Lynch works best given certain limitations to work within. I can foresee now that being the case. I find it really hard to imagine, post-pandemic (still ongoing in fact) that Netflix is going to offer a HUGE budget and unbounded freedom. In fact, I hope they don't.
I had responded to enumbs at the very top of the previous page!

Good post. I disagree about the freedom thing and hope he has unlimited freedom, but I understand your point about working with limitations.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Sorry, I missed your response. I think freedom is good yes, but I mean limitations in terms of the overall format of the show and story. As in, stories are played out over all the episodes and some reach a decent conclusion for all characters, including the lesser ones.

What do you mean by foreseeing a season 4 being being more visceral?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Obviously there are always limitations. Michael Cimino made sure a director would never again get a blank check!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm Sorry, I missed your response. I think freedom is good yes, but I mean limitations in terms of the overall format of the show and story. As in, stories are played out over all the episodes and some reach a decent conclusion for all characters, including the lesser ones.

What do you mean by foreseeing a season 4 being being more visceral?
Lynch will have complete artistic freedom. I can’t imagine him agreeing to watering down his vision to make it more ‘mainstream’. That being said, he might be in the mood for more conventional storylines this time. You just never know with him.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I would think if it's 13 episodes, probably fragmented narrative with cross cutting, Mulholland, Inland, The Return being his most recent major works are all mosaics. That seems to be where his heart is at. The Straight Story I don't think there was much outside of the Alvin Straight point of view, except maybe the Sissy Spaceck scene at the supermarket was a cutaway.

I think in general he's moved away from having narratives like BV and Eraserhead where the focal point is only Jeffrey or Henry and stuff out of their sphere that they don't see or not involved in, just isn't shown.

He did get 45 minutes or so out of Crispin Glover and Alicia Witt doing a two-hander in one room in Hotel Room: Blackout though which he approached more like a stage play, so anything's possible.