Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by eyeboogers »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 am I don't think the Jade casting was unfortunate. She's awesome and she's a great character. That in isolation isn't the issue. Neither is the cast being mostly white, I already said that too has artistic merit.

But in context it's ill-judged. Also "best person for each role" is a cowardly cop out and I'm surprised to hear they've said this. I don't think he needs to explain or justify it. But if explanation is given then at least don't chat crap about how it's just "best actor for the role" as if that process is completely colorblind.

But what about the song in today's whether report.
Since the central character of Twin Peaks was a white prostitute (among other things), I honestly don't see a problem with casting a black actress to also play one. And saying that actors of a certain race or gender are not allowed to play certain kinds of roles I have a problem with.

Where we probably agree is that it is high time for the cast of "Twin Peaks" to better reflect the demographics of the real world.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I mean, technically I too am not convinced anything is necessarily happening either, I guess. Meaning 100% certain. I do think something is still happening, and certainly want it to be, but at the same time if some official statement came out saying the project was cancelled or something I wouldn't be completely surprised. I'd still put good money on something still happening though.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:25 am Yeah. But his view on the matter hasn't really changed throughout this the history of this thread from what I gathered while lurking and as a keen follower of his Twitter presence.
Well, whatever happens. Just know that if the show doesn't happen .. everyone on Twitter is gonna blame you and claim you made it up! Haha.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Rudagger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 am
Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:25 am Yeah. But his view on the matter hasn't really changed throughout this the history of this thread from what I gathered while lurking and as a keen follower of his Twitter presence.
Well, whatever happens. Just know that if the show doesn't happen .. everyone on Twitter is gonna blame you and claim you made it up! Haha.
Made up the show?

:lol:

Poor little old me hadn't ever as much as liked a tweet about Twin Peaks before joining this forum like a month ago :mrgreen:
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:44 am
Rudagger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 am
Made up the show?

:lol:

Poor little old me hadn't ever as much as liked a tweet about Twin Peaks before joining this forum like a month ago :mrgreen:
Wait, I thought you were Fate Colossal!? Aha, well, my brain is evidently mush.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Rudagger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am I mean Brad could be right. But I think that would have to be that there was and that it was cancelled. Because, it's clear something at the very least *was* in the works.
For years, Antelope Dont Run No More was 'in the works'. It would get mentioned in interviews and year after year, I would wonder if there was any movement on it. Sometimes things get pitched and discussed, but just don't pan out with funding and such. I do wonder if Unrecorded Wisteria is just a pitch that is still in development hell or something..

though Unrecorded/Wisteria did seem to have some momentum with A2K Productions being setup.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I also kind of thought Histeria was fatecolossal for some reason. Guess you just give off that energy, Histeria!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Probably because I joined soon after one or two people were questioning whether he made it all up (I'd tried to register earlier but it wasn't working so it just happened to be the earliest point Dugpa started sending out activation emails again.

And then one of my first posts was to talk about how it isn't really possible to a) dupe PW with a fake Lynch film shooting in Los Angeles and b) keep that up without them being made aware of it for months.

Wow people thought I'm fatecolossal! The poor guy :lol:
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

With regards to diversity, I didn't really want to get entrenched in the (mostly) ugly discussion that dominated the last few pages, but while I think a certain amount of leeway can be given to the original series given it was late 80s/early 90s (other shows of the era are similarly white) and set in a small town in the Pacific Northwest, I find it very strange that The Return was so white considering it was filmed in 2015/6 and there were over 200 cast members and it was set in many parts of the US, including major cities and metropolitan areas. How many of those 200 were non-white - 1,2, no more than a handful?

With regard to Jade specifically, there's no problem casting a black actress to play a prostitute, but when she's virtually the only non-white actor with a somewhat significant role, that decision - along with her being nude - will and imo should raise some questions.

Filmmakers should be free to cast whomever they want to and shouldn't feel "pressured" to include anyone they don't want to, but at the same time once the work is in the public sphere, they should expect questions about representation as the world is diverse, and these issues are especially prominent in the current era.

These are just observations not political statements, and I don't want to engage in a contentious debate on this matter - just weighing in a little on what I saw discussed.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

well stated Jonah.
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 am
A perfect example. The diversity terror is so dominant now, that even in completely white (historic) societies, progressive filmmakers tend to cast black actors these days. Politics isn't even a side argument, but the main dish in many cases.
Wow. Good thing there were only white people in the 50s, otherwise that would make it very hard for Lynch, wouldn't it.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:12 am well stated Jonah.
Yes, a very good comment indeed.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks guys.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I know nothing for certain, and I have serious doubts anyone on this board does. My only hard evidence came “before covid”. All the clues don’t really add up to me. Yeah, there are copyrighted scripts, but some of you act like you have read signed contracts between Netflix and Lynch, and it’s about to be surprise dropped tomorrow. As a longtime fan and observer who has heard hundreds of false rumors over the *decades*, my expectations are zero. So then, tomorrow, when FWWM part deux is released, I can do a backflip.

I am not raining on any parade here, just going by what I see and read and hear. (Easter 2015, anyone?) I try not to give you guys any BS I can’t back up. I don’t begrudge anyone running wild with speculation - I and many others did for years, and had lots of fun in the process, leading up to 2014. Have fun with this thread, I’m not sold on anything at the moment. When and if there’s good news, I’ll be celebrating with you guys.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.