Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Ickles »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 am Did you read what Sabrina herself said about this years ago, before the Netflix deal? She speaks on Lynch's behalf there, too. It will be grim reading, I suspect.
Curious about Sabrina's quote, if you have a link or at least a nudge in the right direction of where this was?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Stavrogyn wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 am I had completely forgotten about this!

"Temporality, boredom, and anxiety in À la recherche du temps perdu and Twin Peaks season 3"; do they want me to faint right here, right now :shock: My two favorite works of art of all time!
Totally off-topic, but day-by-day I keep forgetting to comment on the Knight of Cups reference included on each of your posts. I love that missile of a movie -- for me it's not only a fiercely experimental work of art, but also a straight shot to the soul. But I bring it up only to point out to fellow Twin Peaks lovers that in the film Malick uses a portion/soundbite of Major Brigg's E08 speech to Bobby about his vision. It just kind of hovers and echoes over a transition-like sequence, barely noticeable, but very effective in a film that can at times feel almost science-fiction-y or fairy tail-ish and has some major themes about troubled relationships between fathers and sons.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:53 am To think that Lynch would deliberately cast a person of colour to meet the current climate, it almost makes me cry out of despair , anger and frustration.
A perfectly healthy emotional response to the thought of non-white people appearing on a TV show there.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 am Did you read what Sabrina herself said about this years ago, before the Netflix deal? She speaks on Lynch's behalf there, too. It will be grim reading, I suspect.
Just so you know, we already had this same conversation some time in the past year. Personally, I didn't find that she spoke on Lynch's behalf, if we're thinking of the same interview, but more so that she spoke of these things so that Lynch didn't have to think about them, lol. And part of my thinking in that is that when Lynch himself was asked, he basically dodged the question (as he should, imo) and said whoever is right for the part is right for the part and that's all that matters.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ickles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:48 am
Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am OK so casting sweepstakes. Who's the left-field non-rumoured actor you guess is gonna be in this?

My stab in the dark: Gwendoline Christie.
Based on one random picture of a wisteria colored puff of smoke with no context on his IG I'm going to guess Timothee Chalamet. How's that for some next level social media speculation!

Also: at the risk of making a fun topic into a semi-serious one...hopefully/probably (?) an actor of color. I think Netflix has, if not an official mandate, at least a general push to inclusion and diversity in their original content and, really, the general landscape of Hollywood is one where an all-white cast in a major series might raise some eyebrows. With the main cast ostensibly being the usual suspects/S3 folks I could see Sabrina/the network pushing for more diversity in the casting of new characters/non-established roles. So with that in the back of my mind I'm going to say LaKeith Stanfield. I think he could be great in a Lynch project. Diego Luna always struck me as somebody who could pull off a Lynch role too.
Would obviously depend on exactly what the mandate is but I can't exactly see Lynch agreeing to that given how true he's stayed on his position of casting "the right person for the part" etc - not to mention if this is 50s set then it's probably going to be very white indeed.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Apologies for taking this off the rails and turning this thread into a roundtable segment on Meet the Press. Just was trying to make an educated guess on the general direction casting might go in this climate, not stir up any political leanings but I suppose I should've known better, it being the internet and all.

So, uh...how about that weather report today, huh? James Taylor! 66 degrees! Toasty with clouds!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

enumbs wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:17 am
Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:53 am To think that Lynch would deliberately cast a person of colour to meet the current climate, it almost makes me cry out of despair , anger and frustration.
A perfectly healthy emotional response to the thought of non-white people appearing on a TV show there.
I am perfectly fine with, some, many or a even majority of non-white people on tv. Please do not put words in my mouth. That is uncalled for, especially since your misrepresentation is not good for me.

I am just saying it is a tragedy that casting decisions and art in general are (partly or mainly) influenced by PC and the current "diversity terror". That's something completely different.
Last edited by Rhodes on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 am
Histeria wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am Lol. No one questions his freedom to express it. You, however, seem to question my freedom to express a critique of it.
Did you read Ickle's post about the Netflix policy? Lynch freedom of expression (and not only his) is very much threatened. It is not imagined. All kinds of institutions are under attack by identity politics.
With all due respect, go back to the hole you crawled out from under.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am
enumbs wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:17 am
I am perfectly fine with, some, many or a even majority of non-white people on tv. Please do not put words in my mouth. That is uncalled for, especially your misrepresentation is not good for me.

I am just saying it is a tragedy that casting decisions and art in general are (partly or mainly) influenced by PC and the current "diversity terror". That's something completely different.
"diversity terror" :roll:
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Metamorphia wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 am Would obviously depend on exactly what the mandate is but I can't exactly see Lynch agreeing to that given how true he's stayed on his position of casting "the right person for the part" etc - not to mention if this is 50s set then it's probably going to be very white indeed.
A perfect example. The diversity terror is so dominant now, that even in completely white (historic) societies, progressive filmmakers tend to cast black actors these days. Politics isn't even a side argument, but the main dish in many cases.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Rudagger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am With all due respect, go back to the hole you crawled out from under.
Excuse me????

:shock:

You start calling me names, just because we have a difference of opinion (in a debate that I didn't even start and that I didn't want to happen, precisely because of this reason)??
Last edited by Rhodes on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Rhodes wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 am
Metamorphia wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 am Would obviously depend on exactly what the mandate is but I can't exactly see Lynch agreeing to that given how true he's stayed on his position of casting "the right person for the part" etc - not to mention if this is 50s set then it's probably going to be very white indeed.
A perfect example. The diversity terror is so dominant now, that even in completely white (historic) societies, progressive filmmakers tend to cast black actors these days. Politics isn't even a side argument, but the main dish in many cases.
Has it ever occurred to you that some of those choices to cast non-white actors in "white" historical roles is a creative choice by the artists and not a mandated quota from the studio?

And if they are, do you defend their right to make those artistic choices free of any criticism whatsoever as you advocate for Lynch?

In fact, have you never critiqued a work of art because of ideological or creative choices present in it? Even "leftwing" ones?
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Rhodes has made clear previously that he wouldn’t like Lynch employing a more diverse cast even if it were entirely his own choice, as it would be the result of woke influences or some such. In other words, it’s not about artistic freedom at all, just Rhodes’s own prejudices.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Well then his username checks out, I guess.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Allright, this discussion is not healthy for me.

Let's get back on topic. As I said, talking politics is not allowed here, so let's not engage in provocative statements that are indeed very political.

(Although it is absurd that I have to stress it, I want to say for the record that I befriended and slept with people of all races, and I don't have any opinion about the ethnic background of actors in a Lynch-production).
Last edited by Rhodes on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.