Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Histeria »

Agreed, Jonah. But it could be both, I guess. They went through the trouble of filing new directorship details and I still can't see why they'd need to do that unless it was meant for public consumption.

Frost has confirmed he both co-owns and still wields veto over Twin Peaks as an IP after that change was filed.
Brad D wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:36 am
Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:32 am Same. Same. What possibly could have happened to have "We're in discussions on how to proceed [with a potential S4]" become unfollowing him on Twitter?

Especially since he still follows the various other DKL Twitter accounts.
When were discussions on how to proceed? I feel like things got chilly pretty quickly in 2017

I think they were still on board after the Premier and Frost was adamant on the Reddit AMA that he's happy with how TR turned out.

But soon after, in the same year, things presumably went south.

However. There are interviews occurring years later that still have Frost acting like a new installment is being discussed. Will try to find them in the various TP podcasts. Even if they fell out completely, Frost would still need to agree to a Lynch production happening without him.

In March 2020, Frost said it's "too early to tell you" when asked for an update on S4. This was a month after TP Productions filed the change of directorship.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:49 am Speaking of music.

Always found this eerily odd. Never able to track down any info and the facebook/twitter pages seem to be run by bots that like and retweet 100s of things per hour.

https://enix-inri.bandcamp.com/album/unrecorded-night

"NIGHT SHADES DREAM TIME
DREAMING THE DREAMER
NEW BOOKS WITH FAMILIAR PAGES
NIGHTBLOOMS BLEEDING
COLORS INTO THE DARK
ISLANDS OF FIRE IN AN OCEAN
NIGHTSHADE DREAMTIME"

Couldn't sign up here back when I found it so had no one to bounce it off. Probably just a fan but even their back catalogue seems AI-generated. It's very odd. And the stanza above sounds a lot like something Lynch himself would write. Lots of serendipity all round.
His Facebook has his photo and his real friends on it by the looks of things. Just a fan and presumably big Lynchead who's into ambient music.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Metamorphia wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:45 am
Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:49 am Speaking of music.

Always found this eerily odd. Never able to track down any info and the facebook/twitter pages seem to be run by bots that like and retweet 100s of things per hour.

https://enix-inri.bandcamp.com/album/unrecorded-night

"NIGHT SHADES DREAM TIME
DREAMING THE DREAMER
NEW BOOKS WITH FAMILIAR PAGES
NIGHTBLOOMS BLEEDING
COLORS INTO THE DARK
ISLANDS OF FIRE IN AN OCEAN
NIGHTSHADE DREAMTIME"

Couldn't sign up here back when I found it so had no one to bounce it off. Probably just a fan but even their back catalogue seems AI-generated. It's very odd. And the stanza above sounds a lot like something Lynch himself would write. Lots of serendipity all round.
His Facebook has his photo and his real friends on it by the looks of things. Just a fan and presumably big Lynchead who's into ambient music.
Yeah, still uber creepy/eerie how it seems match what we know about UN/W. Oddly serendipitous.
branvol

Post by branvol »

Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:32 am Same. Same. What possibly could have happened to have "We're in discussions on how to proceed [with a potential S4]" become unfollowing him on Twitter?

When were discussions on how to proceed? I feel like things got chilly pretty quickly in 2017
...but anyway, that chat you had with Kyle in January? Anything?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Brad D wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 am
Histeria wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:58 am Frost follows everyone who talks about TP on twitter. He probably probably follows me. Not following DKL isn't an oversight or an attempt to prune his timeline :lol:
Gah, I’d love to know the real story on that. Not an accident. I do remember him unfollowing Sherilyn at a contentious moment in 2015.
I think it was Krishnanspace from this board who noticed the unfollowing. I recall it was around the time the Guardian put out a piece in which Lynch would've supposedly said that a certain person with very blonde hair could go down as one of the greatest this and that in history. Now, he later retracted by saying it was out of context, and made a statement against the man, as it raised many eyebrows among a lot of people. I think Frost's opinion on these matter is commonly known; it's quite fierce.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ah okay, I think that's the mystery solved then - and connects with Frost's politcal tweets. Sure, there might have been other tensions or disagreements, but I say that could very well be it.

As to whether they're on the outs in real life, I'm not sure. Not necessarily - plenty of people unfollow people on social media due to political disagreements, especially during the era of the previous US president, but are still cordial or respectful in real life when working together, etc.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

branvol wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:01 am

...but anyway, that chat you had with Kyle in January? Anything?
THIS IS SPICY
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 am Ah okay, I think that's the mystery solved then - and connects with Frost's politcal tweets. Sure, there might have been other tensions or disagreements, but I say that could very well be it.

As to whether they're on the outs in real life, I'm not sure. Not necessarily - plenty of people unfollow people on social media due to political disagreements, especially during the era of the previous US president, but are still cordial or respectful in real life when working together, etc.
I accidentally responded to the wrong thread in response to this. Then Brad responded to me, than I responded to hi. Whoops! I was running around cleaning and preparing to go out, I must have somehow selected the wrong thread. Sorry guys! See here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=105
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

A lot to unpack over the last few pages of this thread! I certainly appreciate the breadcrumbs from Mordeen and don't doubt their validity but a lot of it is so open to interpretation that I'm not really making any concrete assumptions one way or the other about what UN (URN?) actually is, if it's TP S4, if it's even a series, etc. I think it's interesting that the main thing Mordeen has said that wasn't really veiled via riddle or cipher was the outright disclosure that the 1950s New Mexico/prequel stuff has been discussed. That, to me, more than anything is the most interesting tidbit so far.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:51 am
Jonah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:55 am Ah okay, I think that's the mystery solved then - and connects with Frost's politcal tweets. Sure, there might have been other tensions or disagreements, but I say that could very well be it.

I accidentally responded to the wrong thread in response to this. Then Brad responded to me, than I responded to hi. Whoops! I was running around cleaning and preparing to go out, I must have somehow selected the wrong thread. Sorry guys! See here: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=105
In order to keep the thread flowing, I copied and pasted your posts and Brad's one from the other thread over to this one, as below:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 am I’ve also speculated that Frost could have been annoyed by some kind-of shitty statements about Frost being jealous of Lynch during the original run, in the book Room to Dream. This was Tony Krantz speaking, but Lynch read all those chapters and had approval over the material. Krantz blames Frost for the breakdown of the L/F relationship, saying, “his ego got in the way of it.”

Frost claims he never read Room to Dream (despite being interviewed for it as well), but it’s certainly possible someone else read it and told him about that quote, and it annoyed him that Lynch let it in. Hell, I’d be annoyed. The whole chapter (edited ny McKenna from various interviews) really comes off as St. David, with Mark at worst ruining the second season, at best being a good second banana, depending on who’s speaking. Kimmy refers to him as Lynch’s “librarian.”
Brad D wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:36 am I picked up Room to Dream off a shelf, flipped through it for five minutes and knew it was a puff piece to build the myth of Lynch and gaslight certain things he resents. So much misinformation in the TP chapters, I had to laugh. Also -- calling Frost Lynch's "librarian" is pretty bad. He is, to my estimation, 80% responsible for TP's s1 brilliance that followed the pilot.
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 am I’ve also speculated that Frost could have been annoyed by some kind-of shitty statements about Frost being jealous of Lynch during the original run, in the book Room to Dream. This was Tony Krantz speaking, but Lynch read all those chapters and had approval over the material. Krantz blames Frost for the breakdown of the L/F relationship, saying, “his ego got in the way of it.”

Frost claims he never read Room to Dream (despite being interviewed for it as well), but it’s certainly possible someone else read it and told him about that quote, and it annoyed him that Lynch let it in. Hell, I’d be annoyed. The whole chapter (edited ny McKenna from various interviews) really comes off as St. David, with Mark at worst ruining the second season, at best being a good second banana, depending on who’s speaking. Kimmy refers to him as Lynch’s “librarian.”
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:52 am Sorry, those last couple posts were in response to the wrong thread! Sorry! Meant to respond to this post from Jonah and the preceding ones: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 69#p129369
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Brad D wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:36 am I picked up Room to Dream off a shelf, flipped through it for five minutes and knew it was a puff piece to build the myth of Lynch and gaslight certain things he resents. So much misinformation in the TP chapters, I had to laugh. Also -- calling Frost Lynch's "librarian" is pretty bad. He is, to my estimation, 80% responsible for TP's s1 brilliance that followed the pilot.

And, in response to all of the above, I think the comment Lynch made about the former US president (even if it was taken out of context) along with that Room to Dream stuff above - if it happened around the same time - is probably the primary reasons for the unfollow. There might also be other behind the scenes tensions we don't know about, but I'd say it's mostly that stuff.

That's not to say they can't still be cordial with each other or work together in the future, even if it's more unlikely. After all, as I said - people unfollow each other on social media due to poltical stuff all the time but still (sometimes) have to co-exist in other ways, even if reluctantly or grudingly, plus even when people patch up down the road they don't necessarily start following each other again.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Without getting too in the weeds on politics specifically, the political stuff as an excuse for a falling out between Frost/Lynch doesn't hold a lot of water to me because a lot of other folks in Lynch's orbit are very overtly political (half of Sabrina's twitter follows are democratic/progressive politicians, Laura Dern's political beliefs are very well known, same with Naomi Watts, Sherilyn Fenn, etc.), not to mention the Black Lives Matter background/banner in one of his weather reports a while back, etc. Even if there was a little bit of a "WTF, dude?" reaction to that Lynch quote at the time it clearly wasn't an all-in endorsement that would cause some major schism among his liberal Hollywood friends and collaborators. If it did ruffle some feathers at the time clearly Sabrina, Dern, others involved moved past it. Not sure why Frost would be the lone holdout to carry a grudge unless there was more to it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yeah, but Frost is VERY political and a huge amount of his twitter feed is heavily political, or it least it was - and most of those other people share his views. If Lynch's quote was around the time of the unfollow, that and the other stuff could have been the last straw. But I don't know when exactly it happened, so whether the timing lines up more with that or the Room to Dream stuff. It might have been both and/or behind the scenes stuff we don't know about. We'll probably never know for sure. I've only heard all of this stuff on here. But just because he doesn't follow Lynch on social media doesn't mean they couldn't potentially work together again. The strangest thing is the TP Productions filing.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Lynch walked back that quote 1-2 days after. I might be wrong, but I think this board previously concluded that the Frost unfollow did not happen at that exact moment in time.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 22.03.16.png
Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 22.03.16.png (529.99 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Yeah, just to chime in on something that I think is misrepresented, I think Frost would have found it fairly obvious that Lynch's quote was reprinted out of context by most sources, and would have known Lynch well enough not to care. It was never strictly a quality judgment, but an offhand remark about influence and disruption. Which was clear enough in the interview but which Lynch made clearer just two days later.