Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I knew that a Jessie Pinkman film was in the works, but I was taken aback when I saw the first Camino trailer, I had thought it hadn't started shooting yet and I was a bit surprised.

But then again, while I enjoy Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul, i'm not on whatever the equivalent is of the Dugpa forum is in the Breaking Bad fan world that tracks production details like hawks.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Kyle's in WA today, for what it's worth. Presumably Sponane or his Walla Walla wine tasting room.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jonah wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:49 pm Trying to catch up on the flurry of new psots. I've made it through three or four pages so that's most of them - seems I haven't missed much today?
Maybe if you'd try checking back in a year... :)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm I knew that a Jessie Pinkman film was in the works, but I was taken aback when I saw the first Camino trailer, I had thought it hadn't started shooting yet and I was a bit surprised.

But then again, while I enjoy Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul, i'm not on whatever the equivalent is of the Dugpa forum is in the Breaking Bad fan world that tracks production details like hawks.
I believe there were a few scattered reports of it during location shooting. They did a remarkably good job of keeping it below the radar, but there were definitely articles here and there saying that it was probably a Breaking Bad/Jesse movie.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

there's been some guest stars on episodic series that have been kept well under wraps in the past, but I can't remember any other productions as successfully off the radar as El Camino.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

If the new Lynch project isn't Season 4, I hope some of you will be okay.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

pinballmars wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:37 pm If the new Lynch project isn't Season 4, I hope some of you will be okay.
As long as there’s a new Lynch project in the works (and I think it’s undeniable there is), then I’m happy, Peaks or otherwise.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Histeria wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:07 pm I feel if if was upto the network they'd announce far sooner. Imagine the PR liason meetings:

"So everyone on twitter who mentioned our show thinks it's Twin Peaks. Every Twin Peaks community is at each others' throats because they think it's Twin Peaks. It's not Twin Peaks, but 90% of the discourse surrounding our show is speculation on whether it IS Twin Peaks. Let's just continue letting this escalate for five months and hope that sense of anticipation is transferable when we finally announce that Marylin Monroe biopic/Elephant Man sequel/Video Game tie-in we ordered."

"Sounds good! That's the foresight we pay you for."
I know it's basically how the world works already in many cases, but isn't it a nightmare world where whatever it is randos on the internet are spreading among themselves, suddenly it becomes an obligation to fold one's hand?

As someone who believes really strongly in privacy and one's right to do whatever one wishes to do, especially if it's unlivable otherwise, I really don't think the narrative about what people speculate it is or not should have any affect whatsoever on what it is or what route it takes getting out into the world.

If Lynch paid any more attention to this kind of thing than he already does, which I assume is not at all, he wouldn't have as much time to make stuff, much less enjoy getting out of bed.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I mean yes but managing stakeholder relations is part of their remit so refusing to manage stakeholder expectations goes against their interests in that sense. Isn't this the job? Even Sabrina (if you take it at face value) posted on her private FB page that her public twitter page is just personal photos.

And it's really not that deep. We're not talking the Snyder Cut here. The question was whether the network would or wouldn't announce and I was talking from the network's perspective. Not managing these expectations is not in their interests and it's what these companies pay millions of dollars for achieving year.

I work in research on social media and journalism coverage for corporate clients. They pay my firm to find out what people are saying and thinking about their products to the most granular and hyperspecific level, taking the world as it is not as some utopia where "fans don't tip their hand." It's less that they're doing this to appease fans or journalists, but more "this is happening to damage our PR standing, how do we react to it?" Pure self-interest.

If you're talking Lynch himself then yes, I'm sure he doesn't care as much as the network would. But the question wasn't "does the artist want to manage expectations and announce," it was "does the network want to."

From a corporate perspective there are 100s of high-profile examples for expectation management every month. If this wasn't Lynch and was a network less accommodating, it wouldn't have played out this way. It wouldn't have played out this way at all (edit: if we assume this isn't Twin Peaks related for the purpose of this discussion).
Last edited by Histeria on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

At what point had the deal with Showtime been struck, and how long was it before Lynch & Frost tweeted, though?

Lynch clearly didn't follow the usual parlance when he outright got fed up and walked off, much to the befuddlement of the executives.

I just don't think thinking of it from the executive standpoint makes sense when we don't have a very clear idea of exactly how much autonomy Lynch has carved out for himself. I'd wager quite a bit.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

pinballmars wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:37 pm If the new Lynch project isn't Season 4, I hope some of you will be okay.
There may be another "profoundly disappointed" group.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

And a "profoundly embarrassed" thread.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Both of these ideas, a profoundly disappointed and a profoundly embarrassed thread, could be applied to life in general, not just to this case, and I would be happy to post there even much more than here. At least I would have more to say :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Conversely if there is a S4, I will join the "profoundly embarrassed (but happy anyway)" thread. :lol:
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Why would there be an embarrassment thread? I know you guys are just joking around, but why would there be any need for anyone to be embarrassed - no matter which way you're advocating, it's all just speculation and no one really knows anything.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.