Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

I'm not sure about the other part of it, but what Kyle just put up is pretty leading (it would be more so if he didn't regularly post about TP, but still).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:39 am [
Pure speculation again - but does anyone think MF would be miffed if this is more TP and Lynch took the characters in new directions, especially those he gave detailed summaries of in his books? I know this wasn't really an issue with The Return, but could it be an issue now, if Lynch wanted to use more than Audrey in new ways that compeltely discounted MF's books? Could be that was a reason he turned the management of TP Productions over to Lynch/decided he didn't want to be a part of a new season (if there even is one). I know all of this might be unlikely, but I'm just spitballing.
That is some coincidental timing on Kyle’s “Annie” tweet!

I don’t think Mark would care if David contradicted stuff in the books. Mark himself was asked about his books being inconsistent with the prior TV show episodes and books in places, and he said he views continuity as being pretty subjective and fluid (those are my words, but the substance of what he said is that he doesn’t view continuity as a hard and fast thing, and he’s fine breaking from it for a good story). I imagine he’d happily grant Lynch the same leeway.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jonah wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 am I'm not sure about the other part of it, but what Kyle just put up is pretty leading (it would be more so if he didn't regularly post about TP, but still).
To me it all but confirms Unrecorded Night is Twin Peaks.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:07 am
Pure speculation again - but does anyone think MF would be miffed if this is more TP and Lynch took the characters in new directions, especially those he gave detailed summaries of in his books? I know this wasn't really an issue with The Return, but could it be an issue now, if Lynch wanted to use more than Audrey in new ways that compeltely discounted MF's books? Could be that was a reason he turned the management of TP Productions over to Lynch/decided he didn't want to be a part of a new season (if there even is one). I know all of this might be unlikely, but I'm just spitballing.
Yeah, pretty major weird timing there. I'd just posted it when he tweeted that a couple of minutes later. Kyle, are you reading our posts here on dugpa? Helllllloooooooo if so!
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:07 am

I don’t think Mark would care if David contradicted stuff in the books. Mark himself was asked about his books being inconsistent with the prior TV show episodes and books in places, and he said he views continuity as being pretty subjective and fluid (those are my words, but the substance of what he said is that he doesn’t view continuity as a hard and fast thing, and he’s fine breaking from it for a good story). I imagine he’d happily grant Lynch the same leeway.
This is it Mr. Reindeer. Unrecorded Night = Season 4.

No way Kyle would have tweeted something like that for nothing.

Time to start the 'Season 4' without a question mark thread!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

One Armed Man: "You have all the clues you need"
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:10 am This is it Mr. Reindeer. Unrecorded Night = Season 4.

No way Kyle would have tweeted something like that for nothing.

Time to start the 'Season 4' without a question mark thread!
Idk, as Jonah said, Kyle does post about Peaks a lot. I feel like this could just be a general thing. But time will tell! I really hope we get some firm info soon, we’re all driving ourselves crazy.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

"Time will tell" is so leading after being asked multiple times point blank if he's teasing something and can no longer have any hope of plausible deniability.

Not just time will heal or time will come. Time will tell. There has to be something to tell. Otherwise it's slightly cruel tbh.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Remember he did post a "#wisteria" hashtag and then pulled back on it, so we'll see. It is a pretty leading post to make though considering he knows speculation is rampant and also because he'd previously pulled back on his other post - seems odd to make another telling post unless he's sure something might be announced. But he does post TP a lot. So not sure.

Very weird he mentioned Annie as I had just been posting about Lynch continuing the show with that character, and how he used her in FWWM. I would imagine she might figure into a new series if one is made.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

BTW. I count at least 10 Kyle tweets about time specifically in relation to Twin Peaks. Especially time travel.

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 85734?s=19 this is the latest before today's one. One is a coincidence but there's far too many.

Unrecorded Night is about time travel. What year is this? What year were all the others?
Last edited by Histeria on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

In my opinion, Laura Dern should have played a re-cast Annie instead of Diane.

The story would have had more sentimental connection to the original show, and I think few would have been bothered with the recast.

But instead they decided to take an inside joke and make an actual full blown character that we are supposed to feel some connection to.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I was fine with Diane (apart from as, Brad pointed out in another thread, Naido being revealed to be her - an Asian actress becoming a white woman was potentially problematic, plus even beyond the race issue it just felt unncessary for the plot and might have worked better as Josie, but even then might not have fully worked), but I was mostly fine with the character. I would have liked to have seen Annie and others back, though, in addition to her.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

mtwentz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 am In my opinion, Laura Dern should have played a re-cast Annie instead of Diane.

The story would have had more sentimental connection to the original show, and I think few would have been bothered with the recast.
My ONLY wish for the Return was "no recasts". If you are gonna use "Annie", why let LD play her instead of Graham who was willing to play Annie again?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Rhodes wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:38 am
mtwentz wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 am In my opinion, Laura Dern should have played a re-cast Annie instead of Diane.

My ONLY wish for the Return was "no recasts". If you are gonna use "Annie", why let LD play her instead of Graham who was willing to play Annie again?
Because Lynch specifically wanted Dern in The Return. That would be the reason.

I don't necessarily like recasts, but it worked fine with Donna in FWWM IMHO.

Heather Graham wasn't on the show long enough to make that a deal killer for me.

Edit: I will add that enjoying live theater, you obviously get used to different actors playing the same role; sometimes in the same day.

In daytime drama, recasts also happen quite often.

Then one can think of a few shows that have had recasts without any major issues. For example, Revenge had a major recast after Season 1 that went off without a hitch.

Once again, recasts are not ideal, but they ain't the end of the world either, especially for supporting roles.

Edit 2: Not Recasting Jeffries and going for the teapot was a big mistake IMO
Last edited by mtwentz on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I am firmly in the "something is happening" camp so I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but isn't today the 30th anniversary of the final episode of S2? So the timing of Kyle's tweet seems more related to that to me than a tease about something new. The "Guess only time will tell" part is fun but open to interpretation and could just be him having fun with it, like a "never say never" type of thing. I don't know, maybe I'm just burnt out on TP cast social media teases but I'm still not taking any tweets or IG posts as hard proof. Definitely fun speculation fodder though.

Weirdly, I find the Half Mermaid stuff more compelling as a lot of their feed is pretty DL heavy (https://twitter.com/HalfMermaid/status/ ... 4393996290, for example). Not that I necessarily think David Lynch is going to direct movie tie-ins for some random video game developer but there's clearly some DL connection they are teasing. Maybe Lynch himself is doing a voice in it? Or some of the cast from Lynch films are going to be in some of the films? Definitely piqued my interest in what's going on there and the possible Lynch connection.