Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Was that interview with her in The Holywood Reporter? Strange to see her getting publicity and an interview. Good but strange. Is this all for "Death in Texas"?

Edit - Found it.

Lara Flynn Boyle Is Back on the Big Screen But Don’t Call It a Comeback: “I Never Went Anywhere”

The 51-year-old actress opens up in a lengthy (and rare) interview about her new movie, 'Death in Texas,' those negative tabloid stories, what she misses most about the good 'ol days, and why she has only seen "about 45 percent" of her work: "I don't want to get frustrated."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 234964763/
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Evil Robot Bill wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:14 pm
JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm There have been some Blu Rays released of Dr Who episodes shot on SD. I dunno how they look up rezed to HD ?
They look good - a significant improvement in terms of richness of colours (especially noticeable on the recent release of the notoriously shonky-looking season eight) and are worth getting if you have a big TV. That said, it's still very clearly punched up video. There's no mistaking it for film. The episodes that do have film sequences (noticeable on season 19 for instance) look incredible, but the majority of colour old school Who has that in studio video look.
I'll have to check them out. Yeah, I think some of the Pertwee ones, even the PAL masters were wiped, so they had to use kinesopes and NTSC conversions from canada which already dipped a generation in quality.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:24 pm Was that interview with her in The Holywood Reporter? Strange to see her getting publicity and an interview. Good but strange. Is this all for "Death in Texas"?

Edit - Found it.

Lara Flynn Boyle Is Back on the Big Screen But Don’t Call It a Comeback: “I Never Went Anywhere”

The 51-year-old actress opens up in a lengthy (and rare) interview about her new movie, 'Death in Texas,' those negative tabloid stories, what she misses most about the good 'ol days, and why she has only seen "about 45 percent" of her work: "I don't want to get frustrated."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 234964763/
Great article. She avoids the internet, social media, doesnt have a smart phone. Good for her. Probably a healthier way to live !
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I've chucked my smart phone, and (mostly) avoid social media these days -- I am out of the loop about random things, but overall a healthier person for it.

But LFB -- I really liked her in "Happiness". Her awkward scene on the couch with Philip Seymour Hoffman was the highlight of that movie for me.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I understand her. Unlike her, I am always on my computer so I feel very caught up, but yet I also feel out of the loop too (in a good way) and don't feel controlled by it because I'm not on social media. Apart from this forum, I'm not even signed up to anything anymore. Occasionally I check a bit of Twitter (but again that's related to here and speculation for the most part). And I use reddit here and there. Nothing else, no facebook, instagram, etc. I stick to email and I just lurk on social media when I need to, but no accounts. I definitely prefer it. I never liked it. I do have a smartphone, but for many many years I didn't and only got one recently.

I do remember she blogged briefly and talked about watching Will & Grace on her computer, but that's already 10-15 years ago, so that might have been her attempt to "plug in" and she wandered away from it again.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

part of why the TP pilot for me is so fantastic is LFB's performance. That scene where she breaks down in the classroom is gut wrenching. even where she's trying to lie to Cooper, "we met this woman hiker and asked her to take the pictures for us", solid stuff.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:01 pm part of why the TP pilot for me is so fantastic is LFB's performance. That scene where she breaks down in the classroom is gut wrenching. even where she's trying to lie to Cooper, "we met this woman hiker and asked her to take the pictures for us", solid stuff.
She’s for sure a huge and underrated part of what makes the show work.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cappy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:20 pm I've chucked my smart phone, and (mostly) avoid social media these days -- I am out of the loop about random things, but overall a healthier person for it.

But LFB -- I really liked her in "Happiness". Her awkward scene on the couch with Philip Seymour Hoffman was the highlight of that movie for me.
Wow, one of the few who I have known who have been able to do that! Any tips?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

That was a really cool interview and I'm happy for her and hope she finds success again. I always thought she's unfairly blamed by fans for the dissolution of Cooper/Audrey romance. Whatever happened behind the scenes, ultimately it was Kyle's decision and it was the correct one. That old version of Cooper had no business dating a high school girl and I stand by that. Although I guess there was a part of Cooper that wanted to sleep with her and that was manifested in Mr. C who raped her afterwards. To me that goes to show that Cooper was always a more complicated and flawed character than this coffee/donuts/trees/Tibet version of him that fans missed so much in The Return.

As far as Lara's future projects, that's pretty much what every actor says in interviews (especially one that hasn't been working regularly) so I think it's quite a stretch to believe that she refers to the role of Donna in S4. Each to his own, but I'm holding onto a healthy dose of skepticism.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

À propos social media; I don't use it either (I used MySpace and Facebook in my late teens, from 2008 to 2010, which was not a bad thing for communicating with girls; I preferred MySpace, by the way). However, I do have two messaging applications on my smartphone now, so I still consider myself a cheat and a hypocrite in this regard. I got my first and so far only smartphone in 2017.

This is a complicated issue. Now I spend a solid portion of my day on my phone (I'm using it as I'm writing this), but I am either a) reading about film and literature, b) using it as a dictionary for Croatian, English, and French, c) communicating with relatives and friends, and d) listening to music. These are good things, but I do tend to spend on it too much time, which I could spend reading more books, like before.

I do know people who are always on their phones, however, even when they are watching films or series. I could never understand that. If I am planning to watch something, I just set it to mute, and leave it in another room, or even turn it off. There is nothing that important that couldn't wait for a few hours. There is no way someone would call me to save their life while I'm watching a film late in the evening. I wouldn't consider anything else urgent.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:28 pm My impression is not that the Bum from Winkie’s was going to show up in ‘Antelope’ or anything overt like that. Lynch’s films have always felt like they take place in a bit of a shared universe (most of his “otherworldly” entities feel like they could be “Lodge spirits” in TP parlance), but I can’t see him ever doing a “crossover” in the traditional sense.
Yes, but the mention of those talking animals does sound a lot like "The Dream of the Bovine", so maybe the Antelope screenplay did have some direct greatest hits aspects to it.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Blue Rose had already announced that special art issue months ago.

The guest-editor even tweeted about it and called for submissions. That's the reason I discounted it, especially when they said in the podcast this week that it's something "they can't tell us about."

Turns out that was it after all. Excellent form on the constructive ambiguity and revisionism re: something already put in the public domain.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Really excited by the Lara Flynn Boyle hint. I really can’t think of any other project she’d be talking about at this point in her career, especially considering how little she has been acting of late. She was never my favourite part of the original show, but bringing her back at this point feels so right to me. Her absence from season 3 didn’t bother me at the time, but considering Donna’s importance to Laura she has now come to feel like a “missing piece”, in a way that just isn’t the case for Catherine or Josie. Sabrina had said she was offered a part in the third season but turned it down, so I wonder if Lynch’s conception of the character’s trajectory has changed, and if it runs counter to Frost’s depiction in The Final Dossier.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

enumbs wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:09 am I wonder if Lynch’s conception of the character’s trajectory has changed, and if it runs counter to Frost’s depiction in The Final Dossier.
I posted a couple of pages back that she might have liked a new conception Lynch just decided to create and/or even asked Lynch to give the character a new arc, having seen how he revised Fenn's role in The Return given that it was originally intended to be something else. Pure speculation, of course, but the thought did occur to me - and they were pictured together on friendly terms before The Return (even though she turned that down, according to Sabrina).

I still feel the others are missing links though. I'd love to see Annie, Josie, Catherine, etc. back. Josie was referenced with the hum and archival footage, Catherine got archival footage but would love to see more done with the character.

I'm also surprised Heather Graham wasn't back, even briefly, given that she was willing. I know Lynch probably doesn't like that part of the show but he did use the character in FWWM and bring back others from Season 2. And she could have appeared even briefly, staring off into silence, when Norma went to visit her or something. Perhaps it felt too tangential to revisit, but it would have connected well to Mr. C in my opinion and a scene with her sitting somewhere repeating she was fine as the clock chimed while eerily staring into the distance would have worked better than the woman chanting the numbers and wouldn't have felt out of place, in fact would have fit in better. I know that was Frost's description of how the character ended up, but I think it would have fitted in. I'm sure Heather Graham was willing even for such a small part, and even if Lynch disliked the character I imagine he likes the actress, who he worked with on a video before TP and who he brought back for FWWM. Alternatively, I could see him bringing her back and doing something new and different with the character.

Pure speculation again - but does anyone think MF would be miffed if this is more TP and Lynch took the characters in new directions, especially those he gave detailed summaries of in his books? I know this wasn't really an issue with The Return, but could it be an issue now, if Lynch wanted to use more than Audrey in new ways that compeltely discounted MF's books? Could be that was a reason he turned the management of TP Productions over to Lynch/decided he didn't want to be a part of a new season (if there even is one). I know all of this might be unlikely, but I'm just spitballing.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... 66535?s=19

Wtf

Again, please indulge me for this self-evidently false but hilariously serendipitous correlation:

https://twitter.com/HalfMermaid/status/ ... 15426?s=19