Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 pm One thing that does seem to be a unifying factor in his unproduced works like Ronnie Rocket and Antelope Don't Run No More, is the fantastical and surrealist elements would have been hard to pull off on a modest budget. He's also expressed that bringing the Gregor Samsa insect in Metamorphosis to life in the way he envisioned was always a dealbreaker when he tried adapting it. Would be great if Unrecorded Night was some sorta expansion of his more vivid ideas.
The thing about talking animals in the brief Antelope description reminds me of the talking pig corpse in Ronnie Rocket. One of my favorite bits in that script.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:10 pm
Ickles wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:56 pm
Interesting. I've always kind of imagined something a little more narrative based than just visual references, as I'm not sure how much that kind of stuff could be conveyed via script/the written word alone. I know Lynch's scripts can be pretty detailed but I feel like it would be hard to pick up subtle allusions to motifs over a read through, unless the mentions are very obvious, i.e. "Pinky walks into a lobby with a black and white chevron patterned floor with red velvet curtains", etc. I do agree that it's probably not as overt as the Bum from MD specifically dropped in as a character or anything but maybe somewhere in between? Regardless of whatever Unrecorded Night ends up being I hope the script for Antelope drops online at some point, assuming the door on producing it as a film closes.
Those were maybe bad examples on my part. What I picture more is that some of the identity issues, meta elements (in the vein of the Rabbit sitcom, “no hay banda,” Betty’s audition scene), those kind of thematic elements that so interest Lynch and run through MD and IE could continue through Antelope as “threads.”
Right. That's what I was thinking as well. It's thematic strands. Lynch always runs wild with his core interests, expanding and subverting them. Mulholland and Inland Empire are companions in that they both home in on Hollywood alongside identity, so that right there could easily be evident on the page in terms of what the whole thing is about.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Lara Flynn Boyle thing. I'm not sure, of course, but yeah - that could be something.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LFB , yeah, could be something. She could be reprising Helen Gamble in a continuation of The Practice-verse. She was a villain in Men in Black II I think, could be some Marvel show or something high profile she can't talk about...
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

thedougpa wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:45 am
JackwithOneEye wrote:
underthefan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:55 am So, I was right. Gutierrez clarified this happened at a post house in Burbank. His guess is it may be related to a remaster of one of his movies (could be a rumored new release of Inland Empire for Criterion).

https://twitter.com/mexopolis/status/14 ... 35617?s=20
likely Fotokem. they are in Burbank and Lynch is a loyal client there.

there's probably been an attempt to 4k scan the 35mm blow up of Inland he looking at.

I'm assuming thats what he would prefer ahead of going back to the DV source tapes, and trying to up rez them,
but who knows. maybe they trying that too, and comparing/contrasting results.
An AI-controlled 4K up-rez of the original DV tapes would be awesome, and lend it an interesting ghost-in-the-machine touch that Lynch could be into. Aside from that I'm assuming it'll be the 35mm with all the warts scanned in 4k.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
I doubt he'd ever agree to an AI controlled upscale, nor has ever thing ever been done before for a home video release? (It would be too big of a change - only way something like that would ever happen is as an alternative version and again I doubt DL authorises it)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:50 pm LFB , yeah, could be something. She could be reprising Helen Gamble in a continuation of The Practice-verse. She was a villain in Men in Black II I think, could be some Marvel show or something high profile she can't talk about...
Lol, I meant in relation to Lynch and/or TP.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Yeah, I’m super happy for LFB if she’s working again, especially if it is something high-profile. But I’m never going to automatically assume it’s Peaks/Lynch. That part of her career is SO far in her rear view mirror. It would be nice, but I’d need an official announcement before I thought that was happening.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

There have been some Blu Rays released of Dr Who episodes shot on SD. I dunno how they look up rezed to HD ?
I would imagine the DV source tapes for Inland still exist, or at least the master they used for the 35mm conversion must exist,
probably a Digibeta or something.

I would think though the funkiness of converting interlaced video fields to 24fps film is part of the dreamy allure for Lynch though.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

First thought that occurred to me was, if she saw that Lynch was willing to change Audrey's role for Fenn, maybe she asked him if he'd do something different for Donna that she was happier with and/or maybe Lynch just decided to write something different than whatever had been planned (or wrote a role for her in the new thing if it's not TP, but I connected this to Donna). Of course, it could be anything else, coincidental timing though, considering apart from the movie "Death in Texas" she hasn't done anything else in five years, and anything of note in maybe ten or more. She makes it sound like it's a big project, or something secret, not a low-budget film. Then again, maybe it's just one of her other big roles being reprised, or she's just being coy for the heck of it. Still, the timing is odd.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm There have been some Blu Rays released of Dr Who episodes shot on SD. I dunno how they look up rezed to HD ?
I would imagine the DV source tapes for Inland still exist, or at least the master they used for the 35mm conversion must exist,
probably a Digibeta or something.

I would think though the funkiness of converting interlaced video fields to 24fps film is part of the dreamy allure for Lynch though.
By the "AI controlled upscale" I was thinking in terms of something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSy0lJLP4k

To date, experiments like this have all been strictly unofficial, fan-orchestrated affairs as far as I'm aware. It's quite impressive but sometimes the upscaling does weird things where it has to guess detail and it gets a bit deepfakey. That's why I can't imagine it taking off for SD content very well, not at least while their creators have control over what's done with it like Lynch does with Inland Empire. It would also be fundamentally changing what was intrinsically standard def into some weird halfway high def - it gets strange.

Btw there's a short article on how IE was mastered here: https://theasc.com/ac_magazine/April200 ... page1.html
Last edited by Metamorphia on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

She had a rough patch, she could be making a comeback like Dennis Hopper did after a similar bad period in Blue Velvet/Hoosiers. I get what you say about the timing, but I don’t think it’s all that compelling.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

oh wow, cool article about IE mastering. They went from DV to up scaling to D-5 tapes to an HD Cam SR master to film.

the DV tapes were 29.97 - I was curious about that. there was a mini indie vogue in the 2000's where americans would use PAL
cameras at 25fps/ 625 lines. I was pretty sure Inland didnt do that, but I wasnt 100% sure.
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Robot Bill

Post by Evil Robot Bill »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm There have been some Blu Rays released of Dr Who episodes shot on SD. I dunno how they look up rezed to HD ?
They look good - a significant improvement in terms of richness of colours (especially noticeable on the recent release of the notoriously shonky-looking season eight) and are worth getting if you have a big TV. That said, it's still very clearly punched up video. There's no mistaking it for film. The episodes that do have film sequences (noticeable on season 19 for instance) look incredible, but the majority of colour old school Who has that in studio video look.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Metamorphia wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:04 pm

Btw there's a short article on how IE was mastered here: https://theasc.com/ac_magazine/April200 ... page1.html
This is fascinating, thank you for sharing!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think sometimes actors say they are working on a new project they cant talk about sometimes too, just because it makes you sound in-demand and desirable. Better for self esteem/ self worth in general than to say you don't have anything going on.

I do think LFB deserves a comeback. I love the scene in ep 29 where she clings to Dr Hayward being the father she wants/deserves, it's beautifully performed, really raw and authentic.