Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mordeen wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:03 pm "The" Nine Inch Nails was the Wally Brando moment of Part 8 for me. I have a harsh opinion of the Two Inch Tacks dating back to their popularity in origin. But, as far as opinions go, everybody gets one and that's mine. It would be a deal breaker for me.

two_inch_tacks_garbage.jpg

- Mordeen
That’s fair, as far as your “opinions” comment goes. But to expand on that, while I personally thought “The” NIN’s performance was one of the most electrifying Roadhouse scenes of TR, I can respect that it’s not your thing...but it’s objectively true that, as LateReg mentioned, Reznor and Ross have done a good amount of scoring work for films and TV in many genres that don’t resemble their NIN “house style” at all. I wouldn’t exactly call them chameleons, but they have pretty considerable range and have done lots of diverse stuff, including a pitch-perfect 1930s-style jazz tune they wrote/produced for Watchmen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLL23l79KU

Are you solely judging him on the NIN stuff, or do you feel that everything he does is awful? I just don’t get completely writing him off (and refusing to watch a potential season of Twin Peaks!) because you didn’t like one era/portion of his output, if that’s what you are saying.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mordeen wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:03 pm "The" Nine Inch Nails was the Wally Brando moment of Part 8 for me. I have a harsh opinion of the Two Inch Tacks dating back to their popularity in origin. But, as far as opinions go, everybody gets one and that's mine. It would be a deal breaker for me.

two_inch_tacks_garbage.jpg

- Mordeen
I don't like NiN, either. At all. Even that song in Part 18 felt way too r/im14andthisisdeep for me.

However, I think Trent Reznor is a lot better as a film score composer than NIN are musicians. IMO, his scores are excellent.

So I half agree.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

NIN's number was one of the most cringe-inducing things in the new TP for me. Can't understand the general infatuation with it at all.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I loved the NIN number and think Reznor would be a great composer for Lynch, although no one beats Badalamenti. On another note, I posted on Twitter about Sabrina's Reddit comment and she responded to me (I didn't tag her btw) and said she made more comments to clarify the situation, so yes it does appear she is watching (not sure about Dugpa, but definitely on social media). Here's the link to the rest of her responses:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... nt/h0govz8
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

you can not like NIN but the idea that they're bad musicians is crazy. Robin Finck?!

Not even realIy a fan beyond the obvious ones and the hits etc, but I saw them back in the nineties and again maybe ten years or so ago and both times they displayed Lynch levels of attention to sound design. Even if you'd hate the songs, they sounded twice as powerful and just way more dynamic than your usual live show. Don't know if it's primarily Reznor or a superb live sound engineer or both, but in that way at least they're cut from the same cloth as Lynch, Hurley, Eng etc.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

NIИ act in part 8 was imo a perfect fit, it blended really well, it just set the nightmarish tone right. I am not sure how many people here played the original Quake, which is the Doom sequel, NIИ composed a great soundtrack for it, giving it an otherworldly nightmarish feel. Most of the Return songs are enjoyable on their own. Even Lissie's one is fine, but the optics were more than I could handle! It would be great to have Buckethead (more precisely his Death Cube K alter ego), do some of the lodge music, the atonal albums he did have that White Lodge Rumble feel.
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

Mordeen wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:03 pm "The" Nine Inch Nails was the Wally Brando moment of Part 8 for me.
Wait by Wally Brando moment we mean cool and awesome, right?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I honestly don't get why people hate on The Roadhouse performances. I can understand not being a fan of certain artist/genre of music but they're all shot very well and successfully served as a release/palate cleanser at the end of episodes (or surprised us when they didn't appear during the end credits). Personally I like all of them even if they're not always necessarily my taste in music.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I'm not so sure about them being shot well tbh and that's coming from a big fan of The Return. They're all more or less in a template (in fact isn't that how they were physically shot?)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I’m currently watching a Dutch show called Undercover and if they wanna cast Philip Jeffries they should cast Raymond Thiry.

He actually looks like a mix between Ray Wise and David Bowie
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

underthefan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:21 am I honestly don't get why people hate on The Roadhouse performances. I can understand not being a fan of certain artist/genre of music but they're all shot very well and successfully served as a release/palate cleanser at the end of episodes (or surprised us when they didn't appear during the end credits). Personally I like all of them even if they're not always necessarily my taste in music.
I am not a fan of The Return (as is probably known by now) but Roadhouse performances are actually one of the things about it that bother me the least. On the contrary, I think including them the way they did is the perfect way to cap off the episodes. I do have my favourites among them, though, and NIN are not it, to say the least.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

That's totally understandable. I'm not a huge NIN fan myself but I did like that performance. I am a fan of Reznor movie scores though.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

As I've said before, I believe the musical performances are more than meets the eye (ear?) and I'm invested in the context and how they serve the mood. As Boske alluded, I think dropping that NIN song right there, 15 minutes into the Part, was the perfect mood enhancer/disorienter for that episode. It seems that for many of you it lives and dies by your pre-established feelings on NIN, which is what is it is. But the feeling the song gives me within that Part, the allusive and foreshadowing nature of the lyrics, Reznor's maniacal performance, and his own swirling soundscape that ends that song that Lynch manipulates to bring Mr. C back to life...it's all great, imo...even if it is isn't, in and of itself, one of NIN's best songs. I'll also say that one of the more eye-opening discussions on the boards when it aired was why the song was placed where it was, what it signified in combination with Mr. C waking up and triggering the bomb and that "origin" story, etc. There was a user here then whose name was (I think) Paul and he seemed to have perhaps the firmest grip on this material on a weekly basis. I miss (I think) Paul. I learned a lot from (I think) Paul.

While I don't want to steer this further into a debate about NIN, I will say that, in general (sorry, Histeria, not focused at you, but you did bring it up), the notion that the group is merely this immaturely angry, navel-gazing, teenage bedroom-dwelling brand is a surface-level reading that I disagree with. The sophisticated and layered design of much of their actual music paints an entirely different picture of deeply felt emotional trauma and fragile states of mind. Yes, the lyrics are still there and they're not always pretty or the height of maturity or poetry, but the music itself, at its best, combines to reveal a far more sophisticated goal of conjuring a state of mind.

But, as many have said, at the end of the day, Reznor's scores are separate from NIN's music, and his way with texture and production makes him a perfect candidate to contribute to the sound on a Lynch film.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

LateReg, I think you're thinking of the user counterpaul. I love his posts too. He was definitely on the wavelength.

Also, damn. I was really hoping Lynch's beard and hair was for a role, but apparently not.
I'll see you in the trees
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I told y'all not to pay attention to anything Sherilyn says or does. :roll:

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... 72514?s=20