Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Yeah, I also do not believe he’s involved in any capacity (not even a FWWM type very limited capacity). I take him at his word.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thought it was time for another poll to see where everyone's at:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p128275

(We did this before but there's been new speculation since despite not much - or any - news.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:45 am
Soolsma wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:38 am RE > Reindeer, on peyton, engels, frost, lynch

I think that's maybe from Peyton's reddit ama

"It has been noted that in Season 2 you often paired off with Mark Frost while Bob Engels worked more with David Lynch. Can you talk a little bit about Bob Engels and your working relationship with him?"

"Mark and I worked very closely during the second season. Lunch every day, etc. No better friend to have and no better boss either. I worked with Bob on several episodes but we were working separately on our acts/section etc. We had a great social relationship, but less so re the working of the show."

btw, in the same AMA (and in answer to my question :) ) Peyton admits to initially being somewhat outraged when Lynch vetoed the S2 finale (calling it a 'David walkabout' a term seemingly being used more between the writers), but now regards it to being some of the best television he's ever seen.
I think I was getting it from Brad’s book. I don’t recall reading this AMA before, but now I will! That’s a great quote, thanks for posting it.
You're welcome. Here's a full list of all the AMAs held on the TP reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/wiki/amas . There's: Frost (spanning over 2 threads), Sutherland, Peyton, Chrysta Bell, Jake Wardle, Richard Green. All hosted by this forum's very own LonelySoul, or Iswitt on reddit.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu May 27, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Although I would love, love, love the idea of an entire TP-show set in the 50s (preferably at least partly in colour though), I wouldn't mind a few dream-scenes/flash forwards involving Linda, Richard and Audrey.

Maybe these scenes could have a similar function as the Red Room scenes in the original show.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 am Yeah, I also do not believe he’s involved in any capacity (not even a FWWM type very limited capacity). I take him at his word.
Unless the new series involves some TP characters or settings - in which case he's most certainly going to get some sort of "based on characters created by" credit and maybe another ceremonial EP credit. To me that would still count as uninvolved - and also, he may have been having a terse day on twitter or not willing to elaborate further (and why would he give info on twitter?).

I still don't see the distinction between FWWM and the not involved tweet. To me, he could have replied in the exact same manner had twitter existed in 1991/1992 and he'd been asked about the upcoming TP movie even if he knew he was going to have an EP credit and had read the script, he still wasn't involved. (And I doubt he'd ever be under NDA/would refuse one.)

Edit - But agreed that his tweet would align if it's a completely new TP show. Some of us hoping for more TP, even tangentially, might be grasping at straws (same as we might have had ABC announced MD back in 1999 and we'd all hoped it was TP S3, this could be the next MD, and some of us are hoping it's TP S4).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 am Yeah, I also do not believe he’s involved in any capacity (not even a FWWM type very limited capacity). I take him at his word.
I guess I don't take him at his word quite as much because though I think he's telling a "truth," I also think he'll get the EP credit if it's anyway TP-related.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:03 pm
I guess I don't take him at his word quite as much because though I think he's telling a "truth," I also think he'll get the EP credit if it's anyway TP-related.
I take your point. But Sam Simon still gets an EP credit on new episodes of The Simpsons, and he’s been dead for six years (and hadn’t worked on the show for 22 years even before that aside from cashing his enormous buy-out paychecks). I wouldn’t consider that “involved,” personally. Sometimes this stuff is just contractual.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Thu May 27, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Lynch had a ceremonial EP credit on Werner Herzog's "My Son What Have Ye Done", Michael Shannon said his name was on call sheets, but was never on the set. Likewise, Martin Scorsese on Boardwalk Empire post pilot.

I dont think Scorsese when he's asked about Boardwalk would say "No NDA, not involved". you are getting credit to at least endorse/acknowledge the project's existence.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I dont think MF woulda said "no NDA. not involved" in a hypothetical 1991/1992 twitter about FWWM.

he probably still hoped people would go see it, and it would make money at the box office, and open up new possibilities, I think he woulda posted positively about it.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 pm
I take your point. But Sam Simon still gets an EP credit on new episodes of The Simpsons, and he’s been dead for six years (and hadn’t worked on the show for 22 years even before that aside from cashing his enormous buy-out paychecks). I wouldn’t consider that “involved,” personally. Sometimes this stuff is just contractual.
Yeah I do take him at his word that he's sitting it out and that he isn't directly involved in making it or writing it. But at the very least he'll sign off on it if it's Twin Peaks.

Even though I think it would be a bit naughty to say "not involved at all" and mean "well I did sign off on it," it's not really deceptive in the way their denials for S3 were.

Don't think he or Lynch would be caught dead signing an "NDA" on their own property but that's just conjecture on my part.
Last edited by Histeria on Thu May 27, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I'm gonna say something controversial here. While reading Conversations with Frost, I got the distinct feeling he was a bit frustrated, maybe even annoyed with Lynch. I think he's too diplomatic to air any dirty laundry but I remember at one point he said something akin to Lynch working best on his own. It certainly gave me the impression they had a falling out and they would never collaborate again. And then Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter, which seems odd to say the least since he follows over a 1000 accounts. Did anyone else who read the book had a similar impression?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:18 pm
Don't think he or Lynch would be caught dead signing an "NDA" on their own property but that's just conjecture on my part.
Lynch has said he did sign an NDA on TR! I’d assume Mark did too.

It’s good management, never ask your employees to do something you don’t subject yourself to.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

So glad to be wrong. That's a lovely tidbit of information.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

I think people take the Frost unfollow too seriously. Lynch's twitter account is not very active, aside from testimonials and commercials about TM-related efforts, books, luncheons, contests, etc. Maybe that just wasn't what Frost wanted in his feed.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If we're just basing it on Frost's tweet (and assuming he wasn't just having a bad day, a terse moment, was sick of being asked questions on twitter, etc. etc.), we have a few possibilities:

- Wisteria/Unrecorded Night is a new Lynch show and Frost is not involved in anyway.

- As above but has some TP characters/settings that Frost has given Lynch permission to use and for some reason he has no interest in being involved.

- It's TP Season 4 but he has no interest in being involved.

- It's TP Season 4 but he has not interest in being involved because they've had a major falling out and/or Lynch has bought him out. (They may not have had a falling out but Lynch wants to go in one direction with it and Frost feels he's said all he wanted to with The Return and his books and may not agree with Lynch's vision.)

Which of those scenarios best fits with that tweet?

As for the filing regarding management of TP Productions we saw without his name on it and only Lynch's it could fit in with some of those options above, especially the last one.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu May 27, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.