Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Soolsma wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:11 am What's this thing about mentioned set designer on reddit?
Can you expand on this a bit please? Had a quick look on the subreddit but didn't see anything?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My money’s still on an original show. But I’m not basing that on anything at all besides gut instinct.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Someone posted about doing 50s set design for this show. It was all the way back in January or February and the post was deleted within minutes.

I think it was the davidlynch sub.
Last edited by Histeria on Thu May 27, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

His memories have probably faded over 30 years, but I'm pretty sure he would have read the FWWM script before it was shot, and gave a few notes or comments on it, and had to be aware of things happening that the public wasn't. Getting a giant Executive Producer credit on a $10 million production directed by Lynch is a pretty big deal. I doubt he was totally in the dark and divorced and cut off. I'm sure the production office still sent him documents and things and he deposited his paychecks.

He also included the owl cave ring, and Harry dean's character in Secret History, so he seems aware of it and acknowledges it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:32 am My money’s still on an original show. But I’m not basing that on anything at all besides gut instinct.
I want it to be more Peaks - I'll be honest that I'll be a bit less interested if it's an original Lynch show (though still interested, just not nearly as ecstatic), but I think you might be right. To be on the safe side, I'll continue to stay on the fence and hedge my bets by saying - new show with some TP characters and elements. And that's the last time I'm going to say that! (As I've said it several times now.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

He got the credit because he co-owns the IP. Executive Producers are usually more on the finance/ownership/rights side than creative. Just so happened that Frost and Lynch were both those things on Twin Peaks.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, so by that logic - wouldnt he want an EP credit and salary on season 4 ? He's independently wealthy because of those 2 books ?
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Ickles wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:05 am For me the excitement of a period piece/50s set series isn't about the origin of the characters, or even the story at all, really. I feel satisfied with The Return's ending being the end of Twin Peaks' story as we know it. Besides for me it's always more about the possibilities for mood and atmosphere, aka the stuff in Lynch's work that resonates with me the most. While I appreciate the stories and meaning in his work and get the fan connection to the inner workings of Twin Peaks and overarching narrative, for me when I think of my favorite The Return moments it isn't really about what's happening to the characters, it's how it's being told. I think that's why Part 8 connected with me so much, more than any other episodes. When I dream on a 50s set thing I'm not thinking about what characters it'll show or their stories/impact on the narrative or what it means to Cooper or Carrie Page, I'm thinking about the sets, costumes, music, mood, etc. I've really enjoyed the 50s flourishes in other Lynch work (the movie within a movie in MD, the 50s vibes in Blue Velvet, flashback stuff in Part 8, etc.) so a wholly 50s set period piece Lynch project gets me pretty excited. Of course, who knows what form this thing will ultimately end up taking (i.e. if the 50s stuff is going to make up the whole thing or just portions of it, etc.).
Well put!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:33 am Someone posted about doing 50s set design for this show. It was all the way back in January or February and the post was deleted within minutes.

I think it was the davidlynch sub.
Interesting.
Histeria wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:35 am He got the credit because he co-owns the IP. Executive Producers are usually more on the finance/ownership/rights side than creative. Just so happened that Frost and Lynch were both those things on Twin Peaks.
Agreed. Was going to say this. Feels like it was a ceremonial title because he gave his blessing and co-owns the IP and co-created the story and characters. Not sure it went much beyond that. That's why if the new show is in any way TP-related he might also get a similar credit but can also truthfully say he's "not involved" like he did on twitter.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

RE > Reindeer, on peyton, engels, frost, lynch

I think that's maybe from Peyton's reddit ama

"It has been noted that in Season 2 you often paired off with Mark Frost while Bob Engels worked more with David Lynch. Can you talk a little bit about Bob Engels and your working relationship with him?"

"Mark and I worked very closely during the second season. Lunch every day, etc. No better friend to have and no better boss either. I worked with Bob on several episodes but we were working separately on our acts/section etc. We had a great social relationship, but less so re the working of the show."

btw, in the same AMA (and in answer to my question :) ) Peyton admits to initially being somewhat outraged when Lynch vetoed the S2 finale (calling it a 'David walkabout' a term seemingly being used more between the writers), but now regards it to being some of the best television he's ever seen.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:36 am yeah, so by that logic - wouldnt he want an EP credit and salary on season 4 ? He's independently wealthy because of those 2 books ?
We don't know what his terms are. Lynch might have bought him out or he might be getting a credit plus a percentage if the show is TP-related (again, we don't know that it is). But he can also truthfully say he's not involved if that's the case. Same as he wasn't involved with FWWM. But again, we really don't know that this show is TP-related. Most of the signs point to it being an original show. The only thing that might point to it being TP-related, aside from some hard-to-gauge social media posts, is the copyright filing/transfer and that could just be because some characters will be used in the new show - or for some other entirely different reason we don't know about.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:33 am His memories have probably faded over 30 years, but I'm pretty sure he would have read the FWWM script before it was shot, and gave a few notes or comments on it, and had to be aware of things happening that the public wasn't. Getting a giant Executive Producer credit on a $10 million production directed by Lynch is a pretty big deal. I doubt he was totally in the dark and divorced and cut off. I'm sure the production office still sent him documents and things and he deposited his paychecks.
I think it varies by production and by producer. I remember JJ Abrams saying he watched the last few seasons of Lost on TV like everyone else and didn’t want to know anything before it aired. EP can be a pretty ethereal credit, some are very hands-on and some are purely ceremonial as you said.

I do also recall another interview where the interviewer implied that Frost had nothing to do with FWWM and Frost got rather indignant and said that of course he did, he was an EP. So as you say, human memory tends to shift/change, maybe even depending on the day and the circumstances.
He also included the owl cave ring, and Harry dean's character in Secret History, so he seems aware of it and acknowledges it.
Oh, absolutely. He’s definitely watched it and was a big influence on incorporating elements of it into TR and of course his books, as I mentioned a few posts up. He discusses that in the book as well.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I would say having a ceremonial EP credit on a 10 mill budget movie constitutes ' involved. '

I don't care if he didnt actually write it, wasn't on the set. He endorsed and acknowledged it.

it's far removed from the tweet he sent about wisteria/unrecorded "no NDA, not involved"
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:38 am RE > Reindeer, on peyton, engels, frost, lynch

I think that's maybe from Peyton's reddit ama

"It has been noted that in Season 2 you often paired off with Mark Frost while Bob Engels worked more with David Lynch. Can you talk a little bit about Bob Engels and your working relationship with him?"

"Mark and I worked very closely during the second season. Lunch every day, etc. No better friend to have and no better boss either. I worked with Bob on several episodes but we were working separately on our acts/section etc. We had a great social relationship, but less so re the working of the show."

btw, in the same AMA (and in answer to my question :) ) Peyton admits to initially being somewhat outraged when Lynch vetoed the S2 finale (calling it a 'David walkabout' a term seemingly being used more between the writers), but now regards it to being some of the best television he's ever seen.
I think I was getting it from Brad’s book. I don’t recall reading this AMA before, but now I will! That’s a great quote, thanks for posting it.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:44 am I would say having a ceremonial EP credit on a 10 mill budget movie constitutes ' involved. '

I don't care if he didnt actually write it, wasn't on the set. He endorsed and acknowledged it.

it's far removed from the tweet he sent about wisteria/unrecorded "no NDA, not involved"
Ah yeah if mark shares my definition of non-involment then he won't be an EP on this. Agreed.