Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by madeleineferguson »

Which characters of the original cast would be alive in 1950's Twin Peaks? I wonder if Lynch would utilize existing characters and recast them with younger actors?

Sarah & Leland
Pete, Catherine & Andrew
Ben & Jerry
Margaret
Garland & Betty Briggs
The Milford Brothers
Ed & Norma & Nadine
Doc & Eileen Hayward
The Truman Brothers
Dr Jacoby
Senor Droolcup :-)
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I find it pretty unlikely that Lynch would favour a prequel set in the 50s with younger actors and actresses playing, for instance, the Log Lady. If he did it for a short flashback, that would be great. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be something I'd be keen on - like Jonah here I believe. If it all helps the story move forward, yes, but otherwise I fail to see the point of a whole new series set in the past.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

For me the excitement of a period piece/50s set series isn't about the origin of the characters, or even the story at all, really. I feel satisfied with The Return's ending being the end of Twin Peaks' story as we know it. Besides for me it's always more about the possibilities for mood and atmosphere, aka the stuff in Lynch's work that resonates with me the most. While I appreciate the stories and meaning in his work and get the fan connection to the inner workings of Twin Peaks and overarching narrative, for me when I think of my favorite The Return moments it isn't really about what's happening to the characters, it's how it's being told. I think that's why Part 8 connected with me so much, more than any other episodes. When I dream on a 50s set thing I'm not thinking about what characters it'll show or their stories/impact on the narrative or what it means to Cooper or Carrie Page, I'm thinking about the sets, costumes, music, mood, etc. I've really enjoyed the 50s flourishes in other Lynch work (the movie within a movie in MD, the 50s vibes in Blue Velvet, flashback stuff in Part 8, etc.) so a wholly 50s set period piece Lynch project gets me pretty excited. Of course, who knows what form this thing will ultimately end up taking (i.e. if the 50s stuff is going to make up the whole thing or just portions of it, etc.).
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

^^^this
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Maybe that’s why Frost is not involved. Mark wasn’t involved in FWWM because he wanted to work on a sequel and Lynch wanted a prequel.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Also, if Lynch plans on ignoring Frost's book and Frost wouldn't agree on how precisely to do that then ouuf.

Still think Frost will be the one to carry the Twin Peaks story forward post-P17 while Lynch does his P18 thing.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mark was still kinda involved in FWWM, it may have been largely ceremonial, but he did accept an Executive Producer credit in the opening credits,
which means he had a salary, and a working knowledge of the project. + Bob Engels did come from the Frost orbit, student of Warren Frost's in a drama program in Minnesota I believe.

Seems odd to me he would want to be completely divorced from intellectual property he was really passionate / excited about, most known for,
not even accepting anything ceremonial.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Agreed. It is odd, no matter how we slice it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

FWWM and TR each served as both prequels and sequels in their own way. Through the darkness of future past, it's hard for me to imagine a new Peaks iteration that's exclusively one or the other. But yeah, a lot of prequel material will surely muddy the waters in the Lynch/Frost dynamic even more, lorewise.

What I'm really baking my noodle on: was Mordeen being largely speculative in said PMs about 50's peaks, and who was he PMing with?! Some other board member in the know perhaps... hmmmm.
I was already quite skeptic about this new thing being Peaks, 50's Peaks seems even more of a stretch. Would incredible nonetheless. I'll have to get used to a completely new cast though.

What's this thing about mentioned set designer on reddit?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:01 am Mark was still kinda involved in FWWM, it may have been largely ceremonial, but he did accept an Executive Producer credit in the opening credits,
which means he had a salary, and a working knowledge of the project. + Bob Engels did come from the Frost orbit, student of Warren Frost's in a drama program in Minnesota I believe.

Seems odd to me he would want to be completely divorced from intellectual property he was really passionate / excited about, most known for,
not even accepting anything ceremonial.
I think he says in the Conversations book that his involvement in FWWM was essentially giving Lynch his blessing to do it even though he felt it was the wrong decision, and then being shown a cut of it at some point before it was released.

As far as Engels, I recall an interview with Harley Peyton (I think in Brad’s book) where he says that even though Bob was Mark’s friend originally, Lynch and Engels became very chummy during season 2 to the exclusion of Peyton. I sort of get the impression that Engels supplanted Frost in David’s work life around that time (with them also cowriting Dream of the Bovine as well as an On the Air episode, and Engels even referring to Lynch and himself as “Ike and Mike,” the nickname Lynch had used for himself and Mark). Mark and Harley remain very close to this day (they’ve said they talk on the phone almost daily), but Mark doesn’t seem to ever mention Engels. So I’m not sure how in “orbit” they were during FWWM.

But yeah, all that being said. it is a bit of a mystery that he’d walk away at this point, if that is indeed what happened (a big if, still, at this point). He still tweets/retweets about TP a fair amount, it seems.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

if DL were to expand literally upon part 8 - wouldn't it be set in New Mexico ? I thought the frog moths - and the woodsmen being unleashed was related to nuclear testing, and wasn't really that related to the town of twin peaks per say.

I remember he talked about what Boise, Idaho looked like as a kid when he was giving directions to crew about the part 8 sets in the BTS, everything seemed pitch black, so he could maybe expand on ep 8 in an autobiographical sense. I love the childhood stories he tells in The Art Life etc.

there are two people on reddit who said something about sets on Calvert. Both of them deleted their posts I think. One of them said The Lynch show hasn't started yet, asked if it was TP, said 'above my paygrade'.

I think another one said a 1950's set was being built at Calvert. There's 6 stages there and a lot of big shows film there, so who knows.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:15 am
I think he says in the Conversations book that his involvement in FWWM was essentially giving Lynch his blessing to do it even though he felt it was the wrong decision, and then being shown a cut of it at some point before it was released.
Do you know what his first impressions were of it - and what he thinks of it overall then and now? I only know that he thought it was the wrong direction to go and would have preferred a sequel, but not what he actually thought/thinks of it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:24 am
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:15 am
Do you know what his first impressions were of it - and what he thinks of it overall then and now? I only know that he thought it was the wrong direction to go and would have preferred a sequel, but not what he actually thought/thinks of it.
I don’t have the book in front of me. From what I recall, he didn’t really say anything positive or negative about the film itself, but he still seemed to believe a sequel would have been the smarter way to go at the time...although he also comes across as very happy with TR and the way things ultimately turned out. He also takes credit for incorporating some mythology elements from the film into TR, saying that he thought the ring was interesting, etc., and that since that stuff existed it should be brought back. I believe he also said he mentioned bringing back Chet Desmond for TR, but Lynch didn’t seem interested.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

GO FROGMOTHS!!! :D
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:15 am But yeah, all that being said. it is a bit of a mystery that he’d walk away at this point, if that is indeed what happened (a big if, still, at this point). He still tweets/retweets about TP a fair amount, it seems.
Going in circles here as I've said most of what I'm about to say before but could just be then that it's a brand new original Lynch show and he (Frost) is just not involved. This is one of the reasons why I speculated that, if it is TP-related, it might just feature some TP characters at most, maybe continuing on two or three characters (Richard/Coop, Carrie/Laura, and Audrey). Lynch seemed to care more about Laura (continuing her story in FWWM, talking about Carrie Page calling to him, etc.) and Audrey (rewriting her role for her in The Return, whereas Frost seemed content to have her as a hairdresser and a bit miffed about Sherilyn Fenn? vague memories of 2016) than Frost. I know Frost was more interested in the Cooper character perhaps.

Don't get me wrong, I still hope it's more Twin Peaks - but so far most of the stuff we're going on really only indicates a new show called Wisteria/Unrecorded Night. I think the only indication it might be TP-related or adjacent is Frost transferring management of TP Productions to Lynch in a filing. I'm not sure anything else indicates it's anything other than a new Lynch show? Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Last edited by Jonah on Thu May 27, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.