Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

David Lich wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:21 pm
Mordeen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:09 pm urn_50_tr.jpg

Like it sounds.

- Mordeen
REA; "Little girl by radio"

Additional Information About this Item
National Archives Identifier: 195876
Creator(s): Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 (Most Recent)
From: Series: Franklin D. Roosevelt Library Public Domain Photographs, 1882 - 1962
Collection: Franklin D. Roosevelt Library Public Domain Photographs, 1882 - 1962

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/195876

And from Wikipedia: Photograph of a young girl listening to a radio during the Great Depression. From 1920 through the end of World War 2, a period called the Golden age of radio, radio was the only broadcast entertainment medium, and families gathered to listen to the home radio receiver in the evening. The radio shown is a cathedral-style vacuum tube radio.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

David Lich wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:21 pm
Mordeen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:09 pm urn_50_tr.jpg

Like it sounds.

- Mordeen
Good catch. I can't have pics from something that has yet to be filmed. But wouldn't that just fit?

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Mordeen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:31 pmGood catch. I can't have pics from something that has yet to be filmed. But wouldn't that just fit?

- Mordeen

ahahha, sure thing!.... so, any hints at how long till an official announcement?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Couple of quick questions about the latest Blu-Ray set. I had it pre-ordered back when it was about to come out but later cancelled it.

I have the Entire Mystery Blu-Ray set. Is it much better/worth getting?

Is the Complete Television Set worth getting? What are the differences between it and the Entire Mystery and between it and the Z-A set and between that and the Entire Mystery?

The Blu-Ray player I use is currently on the blink so I mostly just watch things online (I'm signed up to a handful of streaming services, Twin Peaks is on Now TV which they say is 720p but looks higher to me, though I notice the boom mics that were edited out of the Blu-Ray release are present so does that mean they've taken it from the DVD, not the Blu-Ray?), I'd probably have to get a new one if I got the new set and I'm not even sure if the new set is available still? (Edit - I see one on Amazon.co.uk for 150 GDP, whoa that's very expensive!, and I see it's between $250-300 on US Amazon!, so I probably won't get it at the moment as that's way out of my price range, but still curious about the answers to these questions.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:55 pm Couple of quick questions about the latest Blu-Ray set. I had it pre-ordered back when it was about to come out but later cancelled it.

I have the Entire Mystery Blu-Ray set. Is it much better/worth getting?

Is the Complete Television Set worth getting? What are the differences between it and the Entire Mystery and between it and the Z-A set and between that and the Entire Mystery?

The Blu-Ray player I use is currently on the blink so I mostly just watch things online (I'm signed up to a handful of streaming services, Twin Peaks is on Now TV which they say is 720p but looks higher to me, though I notice the boom mics that were edited out of the Blu-Ray release are present so does that mean they've taken it from the DVD, not the Blu-Ray?), I'd probably have to get a new one if I got the new set and I'm not even sure if the new set is available still? (Edit - I see one on Amazon.co.uk for 150 GDP, whoa that's very expensive!, and I see it's between $250-300 on US Amazon!, so I probably won't get it at the moment as that's way out of my price range, but still curious about the answers to these questions.)
The Z-A set is essentially The Entire Mystery set combined with the previous ‘Limited Event Series’ release of TR/S3. It also has two additional discs not available anywhere else with another nine or so hours of behind the scenes footage of TR (this is in addition to the six hours previously released on the ‘Limited Event’ set). This stuff isn’t for everyone, but it really is revelatory and intimate seeing raw footage of Lynch working on set with the actors etc., with no filter and very little editing. If you have no interest in that, there’s also a 90-minute interview with Kyle and Sheryl, but nothing else “new.” It was limited to 25,000 numbered copies, that’s probably why it’s getting a little up there in price. There’s nothing new as to the old series, if that’s what you’re primarily looking for.

Oh, it also has 4K versions of the Pilot and Part 8, but it doesn’t sound like that will help you given your current Blu Ray situation. ;)

The Complete Television Collection seems pretty useless. It’s The Entire Mystery set minus FWWM (i.e., discs 1-8 only), with the discs from the ‘Limited Event Series’ set added in. But without the two additional Z-A bonus discs. I guess it’s for people who want to own all the ABC and Showtime episodes, but not FWWM for some reason?
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed May 26, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks for the very detailed answer!
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:42 pm This stuff isn’t for everyone, but it really is revelatory and intimate seeing raw footage of Lynch working on set with the actors etc., with no filter and very little editing.
Isn't some or all of this on the Limited Event Series Blu-Ray as well? Forgot to mention I have that.

How much was the Z-A set when it first came out? I remember having it on pre-order and it seeming a bit expensive but not nearly as much as it is now (maybe 100 US dollars or so).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Yeah, there’s about six hours of behind the scenes footage on the Limited Event Series set. That stuff is all on the Z to A set, but there is also an additional 8-9 hours (guesstimating) divided up by Parts 1-18. There is a teeny bit of overlap (it repeats the previously released material in a handful of places), but really very little. It’s basically all unique, new footage.

I don’t remember what it cost, but $100 sounds about right.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh, I vaguely recall some of this now. Is it about 6 hours on the Limited Event Blu-Ray and about three more (9) on the Z-A set? Are both Beymer featurettes on both sets?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:01 pm Oh, I vaguely recall some of this now. Is it about 6 hours on the Limited Event Blu-Ray and about three more (9) on the Z-A set? Are both Beymer featurettes on both sets?
No, the breakdown is:
— about 6 hours on the original set (two Beymer docs, the De Lauzirika doc of the Washington shoot, and ten Jason S. docs)
— the new set features all of the above mentioned stuff, but also 18 brand new additional docs, sorted by each episode/part of the series (Parts 1-18)...each of those 18 averages between 25-30 minutes in length IIRC. This is mostly brand new Jason S. footage not previously seen before (with a teeny bit of new De Lauzirika Washington footage). There’s a little overlap with the prior docs but not much.

The initial press release actually underestimated how much new footage was included on ‘Z to A.’ It made it sound like way less than it actually is. It’s almost all original footage that hasn’t been released elsewhere.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Beymer featurettes are on both sets. Z - A has everything the other sets have plus the additionals that Reindeer already mentioned. The initial price was around 135 on sale on Amazon. It dropped as low as 89 a couple times on various sites and now it is sold out across the world.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

In the unlikely event the price drops that low again or close to it, I might consider picking it up, but not spending what they're looking for it now (although I know it will probably just go up as it becomes increasingly rarer). I'm not sure why I cancelled the pre-order I had in, maybe I was sick of buying physical media (and TP sets every couple of years) or there was a problem with the stock or payment being delayed or something - I vaguely recall an email - and I just said oh well and cancelled it, can't remember now, probably a combination of both.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I remember in the BTS for part 8, they mention that they actually built a huge set for the radio station and it could be used for something else. Also in FWWM, at haps diner someone mentions that 2 FBI agents had visited Haps in the 50s
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mordeen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:19 pm You can read in to what I wrote, or not. But that precise premise of a prequel set in the Part 8 era was a conversation recently.

- Mordeen
Well, there's something to think about! I'd be very excited about that possibility.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Very excited about a 50's scenario kind of prequel. BUT, I hope he's not going for a full black&white thing. It worked on Eraserhead/Elephant Man, it will not work on a full Peaks season (although I loved it as a gimmick for part 8 ).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

krishnanspace wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:41 pm I remember in the BTS for part 8, they mention that they actually built a huge set for the radio station and it could be used for something else. Also in FWWM, at haps diner someone mentions that 2 FBI agents had visited Haps in the 50s
Chet and Coop under the sycamore tree, B-L-U-E R-O-S-E

Nah, it won't fit the rhyme...