Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Metamorphia wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:57 am
Jonah wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:28 am I expect that, if we get another season, the show will become increasingly more distant from the original series in terms of tone and style (and possibly also increasingly fragmented), but wouldn't it be interesting if it did a 360 (or even 180) and returned to the feeling of the original series, with The Return being viewed as a departure that mirrored Dale's own departure from himself? I don't expect this to happen - I think if we get more episodes they would continue in a similar vein to The Return, or become even more like Inland Empire (especially if Frost is no longer onboard) - but I think I saw a comment on here before where someone else said it might go back to the feel of the original series, and I'm fascinated by that possibility, even if I think it's unlikely.
That's so unlikely imo. Lynch just keeps moving forward and his style changes with it - I see no reason to expect anything but further evolution on from The Return.
Stavrogyn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:28 am I think there is no way Lynch would return to the style of the original series, because he is not simply a director who views Twin Peaks as a franchise and is making a new installment, but an artist whose work, as was already pointed out, keeps developing.

Imagine, however, if the show did return to its original style, with Cooper once again moving into the Great Northern, and once again meeting the characters he already knew, but who don't know him now. I would love to see his moral dilemma when trying to bring everything back to "normal", which would also mean reversing some potential good things from the new timeline, like Annie and Audrey being unhurt, and maybe even Harry S. Truman being healthy and still the active sheriff.
Agent Earle wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:35 am
Stavrogyn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:28 am I think there is no way Lynch would return to the style of the original series, because he is not simply a director who views Twin Peaks as a franchise and is making a new installment, but an artist whose work, as was already pointed out, keeps developing.

Imagine, however, if the show did return to its original style, with Cooper once again moving into the Great Northern, and once again meeting the characters he already knew, but who don't know him now. I would love to see his moral dilemma when trying to bring everything back to "normal", which would also mean reversing some potential good things from the new timeline, like Annie and Audrey being unhurt, and maybe even Harry S. Truman being healthy and still the active sheriff.
I think this scenario - however fascinating it is, and I for one would just love to see it - is simply too big an undertaking for Lynch at this point, what with needing to get the old gang back together, find appropriate replacements for those who can't attend, singlehandedly (ie. without Frost, Engels, Peyton and other crucial collaborators) conjuring that magic TP spirit of old etc. I'm not even sure he remembers the "old" TP as the rest of us do, or if he remembers it at all. No, this - whatever it is, if it is - will be just as experimental and avant-garde and off-the-fly as The Return was. More, in all probability.
Stavrogyn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:47 am
Agent Earle wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:35 amNo, this - whatever it is, if it is - will be just as experimental and avant-garde and off-the-fly as The Return was. More, in all probability.
I can't say I would mind this :)

And, yes, I 100 % expect him going fully experimental, especially if this is Twin Peaks, because there already is an established world with which he can play... Or is there?
Not even so much that Lynch might return to the style of the original series, but I could see another installment going initially deeper into darkness and netherworlds, then returning to very light whimsy once the darkness has been vanquished, perhaps even lighter than the original series (which wasn't all that light to begin with - some scenes in the original series are much scarier and effective than anything in The Return, all the moreso because they're surrounded by lighter scenes). Lynch is known to give happy endings so it wouldn't surprise me if it turned light again, though I think it would be darker initially given the ending of Season 3, if it picked up from there.

FWWM pretty much had a happy ending, arguably. Maybe moreso than The Return, depending on how you interpret it, unless you think Laura woke up at the end and became a happy teenager that survived, in which case you could argue that The Return might have had the happier ending, although again not necessarily, as an angel and ascension to a heavenly afterlife would be the ultimate happy ending, more than even being happy and healthy in this life - so it's difficult to gauge. And while it seems The Return came after that point so Laura didn't ascend, only saw the angel, it's hard to tell for sure - the FWWM ending might still have come after that again, even if they looked younger. Anyway, if Lynch decides to do more TP and lead it on a definitive ending, whatever new ending is chosen may not be ambiguous and may not be dark, but rather light and happy or at least cathartic and bright.
Last edited by Jonah on Sun May 02, 2021 8:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Blue Velvet had an happy ending.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

krishnanspace wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:59 am Blue Velvet had an happy ending.
That's what I was thinking about! :D
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mordeen wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 am
Soolsma wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:55 pm VJG EQY LWORGF QXGT VJG OQQP

Image > Image
I see you found the key of C.

- Mordeen
GR BRX KDYH PRUH FOXHV IRU XV?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Soolsma wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:21 am
''imilii, lis

Being in the key of C.''

''batsg wkwow'' (I've even tried bruteforcing these, no luck.)
Yes, context for these is very important. I'm surprised they've proved so difficult. You'll facepalm when you figure it out.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

According to @fatecolossal, David Lynch is continuing with the weather reports and asking fans for a list of songs he's played.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Lynch’s “happy” endings always intrigued me. For many, the main character seemingly finds peace in some sort of afterlife only after choosing death/suicide (Eraserhead, Elephant Man, FWWM, INLAND EMPIRE). I don’t think most people would typically consider that a traditionally happy ending conceptually, but it’s a theme Lynch keeps coming back to. Mulholland is bleaker, with Diane finding nothing but silence after death (although even this is arguably presented as “happy,” as she is finally free from her demons and her hellish existence). Lost Highway is sort of its own thing, but I don’t think it’s really happy.

Lynch went through a period of doing more traditional happy endings in Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. He even talked in the Rodley book about how the Blue Velvet ending was uncharacteristic for him and how conventional happy endings feel somewhat artificial (since in reality Jeffrey would go on to live his life, would have further problems, challenges, etc.).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I could see him going the happy ending direction again tbh or something along the lines of FWWM, which ends in a sort of cathartic yet unmistakably and surprisingly happy way (especially considering what a dark movie it was).
Last edited by Jonah on Sun May 02, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I'm not sure what fatecolossal's intended takeaway from that is but I've seen other folks in various places trying to glean any clues about production, etc. from the continued existence of the weather reports, some insinuating that if he's still doing them from home production on anything probably isn't happening, but I'm personally not all that convinced it makes a difference one way or the other. Even if production started tomorrow, it's not like Lynch is going to live on set 24 hours a day. While there might be early call times on set for some days, for night shoots (which I have a feeling there will probably be a lot of...being titled Unrecorded Night, and all) call times aren't that early. It's also not like doing the weather report is a heavy lift, he records them in one sitting and there's no editing involved. He can probably bang them out when he's having his morning coffee before somebody drives him to set. I don't think the continued existence of them means one thing or another and actually his original "announcement" of saying he was going stop them might've been him trying to take one thing off his plate going into production but the supportive comments might've changed his mind and he said "fuck it, I can keep doing these too."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

He also wouldn't necessarily announce if he planned to stop them. He may not even know whether or not he wants to stop them if production starts. I think he'd just stop doing them abruptly if production got in the way without an announcement. I say this despite his previous (non-announcement) announcement saying he will be continuing with them. Didn't he do them before and - I assume - just stop them without an announcement?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think DL was shooting Inland Empire in 2005 concurrent with weather reports on his site at the time (?) Granted though Inland Empire was loosey goosey and I don't know if it had formal call sheets/ early call times. but at one point Canal was putting in 4mill and there were studio bookings.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think Lynch could just stop doing the weather reports at any time regardless, without an announcement, but I don't/didn't follow them so not sure about his process but feel it's something he wouldn't make a big deal out of if he stopped doing them.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ickles wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:46 am I'm not sure what fatecolossal's intended takeaway from that is but I've seen other folks in various places trying to glean any clues about production, etc. from the continued existence of the weather reports, some insinuating that if he's still doing them from home production on anything probably isn't happening, but I'm personally not all that convinced it makes a difference one way or the other. Even if production started tomorrow, it's not like Lynch is going to live on set 24 hours a day. While there might be early call times on set for some days, for night shoots (which I have a feeling there will probably be a lot of...being titled Unrecorded Night, and all) call times aren't that early. It's also not like doing the weather report is a heavy lift, he records them in one sitting and there's no editing involved. He can probably bang them out when he's having his morning coffee before somebody drives him to set. I don't think the continued existence of them means one thing or another and actually his original "announcement" of saying he was going stop them might've been him trying to take one thing off his plate going into production but the supportive comments might've changed his mind and he said "fuck it, I can keep doing these too."
Didn't he call having to do the reports "a torture" or something to that effect though, lol? If he has the stress of directing a large scale production (and as evidenced by Jason S' BTS, he doesn't always handle it so well) I don't think he's gonna be doing the videos before going to work.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think when he was doing the weather reports back in the aughts, they were shot on mini DV tape and he'd have to have an assistant digitize it into final cut pro and export and then upload to his site, and got to be more trouble than it's worth.

if i were directing a 13 episode TV show for Netflix, I think i still wouldn't want the hassle, even if it's two minutes and easy to upload to you tube. just seems like a chore/burden to me, plus those lottery numbers, there's a bit of editing with the title card, etc. thats like twenty min of your morning spent messing around with stuff that you could dispense with if you gotta get a lot of actual shooting accomplished. but what do I know.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I imagine they'd get a bit repetitive and draining after awhile - they're essentially the same thing day after day, right? I think they're a quirky and fun idea, but I wonder if he gets bored filming the same weather reports (with minor differences) and number pulls (again, with minor differences). Unless it's a comforting routine for him, I don't know. Creatively, I imagine it would become quite unfulfilling. He must like the routine of it, though.