18 hours- will it turn out to be too long? (NO SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: 18 hours- will it turn out to be too long?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Given DKL's M.O. for overshooting, imagine if there's another 6 hours of deleted footage on the Blu Ray release!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Given DKL's M.O. for overshooting, imagine if there's another 6 hours of deleted footage on the Blu Ray release!
This was my thought! I had your same pause, for the same reasons, until I realized 18 hours might be what was left behind after excision! I don't think Lynch is a whole kitchen sink kinda guy, and he knows how to sense when something works as a whole. There are people who say Inland Empire is overlong, but every part of it works for me -- and then I see the additional footage and think, geez, there was no fitting that in there. He's so, so much more 'conservative' with the integral, functioning aspects of his work than people want to believe.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

The one scene from "more things that happened" that I think could have worked in the main film was the scene where Sue is talking to Billy, and she's in some freaky hotel room, and there's an older Polish gentleman (a spirit?) interrupting the phone call.

By comparison, I find "The Missing Pieces" is phenomenal as its own piece, and is far more interesting than any compilation of deleted scenes has any right to be! I love how the sequence that dissolves between the convenience store, lodge, forest, and Laura Palmer's face neatly sums up the mythology in a concise montage. It's stunning.

I wonder how many unscripted scenes they shot? As in, stuff that wasn't written by Mark & David as part of the original script, but that Lynch came up with in the moment?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Snailhead wrote:The one scene from "more things that happened" that I think could have worked in the main film was the scene where Sue is talking to Billy, and she's in some freaky hotel room, and there's an older Polish gentleman (a spirit?) interrupting the phone call.
That's the Phantom on the phone! "It glows within me. Like gold." It would have been interesting to cut back to Nikki's world in the middle of the Sue sequence, but the insertion of that one scene would have made IE a very different film. I think the fact that it was kept out is a testament to what Axxon N. is saying about DKL's control. It's definitely a wonderful scene, though.
Snailhead wrote:I wonder how many unscripted scenes they shot? As in, stuff that wasn't written by Mark & David as part of the original script, but that Lynch came up with in the moment?
I hope the script is released at some point after airing, whether officially or as a leak. I love comparing the scripts of the original show to the finished product.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I'm a DKL true believer, and I have near-complete faith in him based on my prior relationship with his work. But this is the one thing that gives me a slight tinge of pause. DKL typically overshoots more than almost any other director (see FWWM, BV, W@H), then trims the fat in editing. The deleted material is frequently terrific, and arguably one or two scenes from TMP should have made it in to FWWM. But by and large -- while I love having that "bonus" material -- BV and FWWM are almost unarguably stronger, tighter films without the excess. He has spoken about how he believes enforced runtimes are a good thing because they force him to take a step back and see what the narrative is truly about. I really hope he kept that in mind on this project.

That being said, I'm way more excited than nervous at the prospect of seeing what DKL does in such a huge sandbox. It's almost impossible to envision what this damn thing is going to be. It's gonna be a hell of a ride.
but all the stuff he shot, cut and later released for FWWM, Dune and BV (haven't watched WAH scenes more than once and it's hard to say with the quality) would have worked great if it those projects were mini series imo.. especially FWWM + Missing Pieces.. had the Pilot been a feature there probably would have been wise to cut out some stuff too.

i'm not concerned, i have faith that 18 hours of new David Lynch material will be amazing.. it will probably be somewhat slow paced at times, any DKL work is although i'm almost on the edge of my seat throughout. The Pilot is very slow paced for example and ABC canned MD because of it's pacing
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Ashok wrote:Idk, call me old fashioned but I really prefer the pacing of older TV shows like Twin Peaks, Babylon 5, The X-Files, Farscape, etc versus these newer flashy "prestige" cable/On Demand shows. They may have a bit less "filler" but I feel like you really lose a lot of characterization and world building when you restrict yourself to an 8-13 episode cable season. I think 24 episodes would be a huge mistake but 18 feels about right to me. I think 18 gives Lynch plenty of time to flesh out the characters and mythology and keep things clipping along without the show feeling like a runaway freight train.
completely agree with this.. peoples concentration spans are generally low due to the fact that we live in a society were we are constantly bombared with information. Lynch usually has perfect pacing in my opinion.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: I hope the script is released at some point after airing, whether officially or as a leak. I love comparing the scripts of the original show to the finished product.
i really hope so too but considering the extreme amount of secrecy that all the actors have testified to on set it seems unlikely.. the shooting and passing around of scripts seems to have been just as secretive (if not even more) than the Leland/Bob reveal script, the part which has never been leaked (or maybe it was never scripted at all?)

if it is one thing that slightly worries me it is how this secrecy will affect the actors performance within the context of the story.. many have said that they would only receive a few pages hours or at tops a day before shooting, with other actors lines crossed out with black marker. it must be hard to really engage with a character that way, when you barely know who the hell it is you are supposed to portray.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Remember what Harry Goaz said in the 3rd Phenomenon video; «Trees are more vivid this time».
We're gonna see a lot of trees, which can only be a good thing (we might have half an hour of shots right there).
krzhuva

Post by krzhuva »

bob_wooler wrote:Remember what Harry Goaz said in the 3rd Phenomenon video; «Trees are more vivid this time».
We're gonna see a lot of trees, which can only be a good thing (we might have half an hour of shots right there).
He said "dreams", though. :)
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

"too long" is a joke, right?

It's ok to have seasons of 10 episodes for a lot of stuff nowadays (Better Call Saul and Fargo for instancee, both shows that I watch on a weekly basis right now), but why not make it 18 "parts"?

I don't see anything wrong there.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

krzhuva wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:Remember what Harry Goaz said in the 3rd Phenomenon video; «Trees are more vivid this time».
Both, both is good
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

krzhuva wrote:
LOL, my bad. The moment he says "dreams", we see a shot of trees, and it tricked me :lol:
Still, I'm pretty sure trees will get their fair share in this, probably more so than in the first run.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

The more trees, the better! :P
"Your log and I are on the same page."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

MoondogJR wrote:The more trees, the better! :P
Definitely so!

Maybe there's a problem with people's attention span due to smartphones nowadays...?
Mine will be on silent and in the other room when I watch S3 episodes, that's for sure.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

dronerstone wrote:"too long" is a joke, right?

It's ok to have seasons of 10 episodes for a lot of stuff nowadays (Better Call Saul and Fargo for instancee, both shows that I watch on a weekly basis right now), but why not make it 18 "parts"?

I don't see anything wrong there.
Exactly. I think 10 *is* a good number for very specific types of shows. Like Better Call Saul. It's a pretty straight forward, fun little crime drama and its shorter episode order seems to work well enough. But Twin Peaks isn't BCS. It's a very multi-layered show with extremely dense mythology. Lynch needs to introduce a new cast and along with a new 25 Years Later arc to the show that can stand on its own with its own identity AND he needs to re-examine this same universe and show how this world and its original characters have evolved over the past 25 years. This Revival needs to both introduce a NEW endgame to the series beyond saving Dale from the Red Room and it needs to also retroactively strengthen the past 30 episodes that preceded Season 3. I just don't see how this is even remotely possibly with a more classic network style episode order of 18.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday