Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

Little Nicky
15%
James/Evelyn Marsh Storyline
34%
Ben Horne Civil War
15%
Audrey and John Wheeler
9%
Nadine in High School
9%
Packard/Eckhardt Battle
3%
Josie as a maid
1%
Leo as a vegetable
No votes
Donna and her true father
1%
Donna and James season two
3%
Milford/Lana
7%
Other (Please specify in comments)
4%

Total votes: 151
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Least Favorite Storyline in Twin Peaks

Post by Agent Earle »

claaa7 wrote: the only thing is that James voice clearly sounds heavily studio manipulated which makes it a little weird, but so what...
When I was a wee lad, I always thought James' voice distortion has to do something with his microphone (I pictured the latter as a gadget that you could "program" and get it to transform your voice into whatever color, intonation, melody, etc. you'd want). Oh, the naivety of childhood :)
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

Wow, no one chose Josie as the Maid (that was in my top 3 for sure).
The James/Donna plot had its share of weak moments, but when I think of them I always recall their beautiful scene together at the Roadhouse in episode 14.
Has anyone ever heard the theory/rumor that the turning point between early and late Lynch was Mary Sweeny talking to him about this scene in the editing bay? That this was the point where his interest in women as objects turned into an obsession with feminine subjectivity? I've always kind of liked this idea, supportable or not.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Agent Earle wrote:
claaa7 wrote: the only thing is that James voice clearly sounds heavily studio manipulated which makes it a little weird, but so what...
When I was a wee lad, I always thought James' voice distortion has to do something with his microphone (I pictured the latter as a gadget that you could "program" and get it to transform your voice into whatever color, intonation, melody, etc. you'd want). Oh, the naivety of childhood :)
The funniest thing to me is that it sounds quite a bit like Lynch's vocals in the music he's released.
I'll see you in the trees
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Rainwater wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
The funniest thing to me is that it sounds quite a bit like Lynch's vocals in the music he's released.
YES! it definitely does, the "Strange What Love Does..." and that stuff. not too big on Lynch's music on its own tbh, but when coupled with his other art it can create tremenedous experiences.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

The Windom Earle storyline used as the main plot once Laura's murder was resolved.

I tend to be mainly interested in plots and storylines over characters in TV shows. I think most plot driven shows work on a sensible balance between the main plot and the various peripheral B plots who's main purpose tends to be to dilute the main plot. For me as long as the main plot is interesting I have little issue with the other storylines since I have that to look forward to.
As long as Laura's murder mystery was the main plot Twin Peaks had a great balance between the main plot and the rest. The minor storylines just like Laura's murder were for the most part secrets of the town so Twin Peaks was always front and center in the narrative.
With Earle, Twin Peaks and it's inhabitants became the backdrop for on old feud of Coop's. So the balance was thrown off. To make it worse the plot seemed to be barely thought out which made it relatively uninteresting all considered.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

The Civil War stuff really is the nadir.

I actually think the James sub-plot in S2 is somewhat underrated. It's fine (and also a nice precursor for the better applied Lost Highway).
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i never thought the James Hurley storyline was that awful either... it was a bit cheesy, but it did manage to capture some noir feeling from time to time which at least was a welcome change from all the ultra silly stories about Nadine behaving like an 11 year old with superhuman strength, the Lucy, Andy and Dick Show (although I do love Ian McChannan - what a star, he was obviously so good that Lynch and Frost wanted him as the main guy on "On The Air" which worked like a charm).

the James / Evelyn storyline, while feeling like it belonged on a different series at times, at least had some nice images and some really nice musical themes that i don't think had been introduced before. on my latest rewatch the ones i really felt like fast forwarding through was The Civil War stuff and Nadine as an 11 year old trapped in a grown woman's body thinking she's 18. and then you got Windom Earle, my god what a goofy character. there's a scene where Annie and Cooper is out on the pond and at the gazebo having a picnic and then the director zooms out to reveal that Windom Earle is disguised as a fisher with big binoculars looking right at them and laughing this big archetypical Joker type of villain laugh.... horrendous!
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

I went for James/Evelyn - and I'm not surprised to discover that it tops the chart.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Been reading through this thread. I almost voted for the Marsh storyline, simply because it goes on so much longer, but went for Lana instead. The Marsh stuff is awful and too long but at least I can tell myself it's just a bad film noir. The Lana stuff was painfully unfunny and Episode 19 is my least favourite episode (followed closely by 17).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:29 am Been reading through this thread. I almost voted for the Marsh storyline, simply because it goes on so much longer, but went for Lana instead. The Marsh stuff is awful and too long but at least I can tell myself it's just a bad film noir. The Lana stuff was painfully unfunny and Episode 19 is my least favourite episode (followed closely by 17).
I still can’t believe the Nadine crap goes on for an ENTIRE SEASON.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

It's Ben's Civil War storyline for me which I find insufferable on so many levels and always have to fast forward through.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:35 am
Jonah wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:29 am Been reading through this thread. I almost voted for the Marsh storyline, simply because it goes on so much longer, but went for Lana instead. The Marsh stuff is awful and too long but at least I can tell myself it's just a bad film noir. The Lana stuff was painfully unfunny and Episode 19 is my least favourite episode (followed closely by 17).
It doesn't bother me that much because some of it is a part of Lynch episodes - the breaking the glass scene (Episode 14?) and then it all leads to a revelation in Episode 29. I think the only truly bad part of the story, apart from how just overall silly, one-note and repetitive it is, is the scene where she throws the guy in Episode 17. Then I remember two sort of funny scenes - her climbing into bed with Big Ed and Norma, and checking into the motel with MIke. There's also a scene of her throwing Hank and one of her flirting with Mike in the diner, and a Jacoby scene. Is that it? Although it goes on for a long time, I don't think it features in many episodes, I seem to remember lots of episodes where it doesn't appear, and whenever it picks back up it's the same one-note story, and in the end I think it only amounts to a few scenes overall - so maybe that and the fact that some of it is used in Lynch episodes is why I find it bearable.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:37 am
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:35 am
It doesn't bother me that much because some of it is a part of Lynch episodes - the breaking the glass scene (Episode 14?) and then it all leads to a revelation in Episode 29. I think the only truly bad part of the story, apart from how just overall silly, one-note and repetitive it is, is the scene where she throws the guy in Episode 17. Then I remember two sort of funny scenes - her climbing into bed with Big Ed and Norma, and checking into the motel with MIke. There's also a scene of her throwing Hank and one of her flirting with Mike in the diner, and a Jacoby scene. Is that it? Although it goes on for a long time, I don't think it features in many episodes, I seem to remember lots of episodes where it doesn't appear, and whenever it picks back up it's the same one-note story, and in the end I think it only amounts to a few scenes overall - so maybe that and the fact that some of it is used in Lynch episodes is why I find it bearable.
It feels like it was in most S2 episodes. IMDb lists Wendy Robie as appearing in 16 out of the 22 episodes, so I think my instinct is correct. Granted, it was maybe just one or two scenes in many of those. It’s just so painfully dumb, it drags on FOREVER, and it wastes two of my favorite characters for an entire season.

Surprised to see Ben’s Civil War doing so poorly. It’s also a waste of a great character for several episodes, but I always had a soft spot for it, especially the way Beymer chews the scenery (“You’re kneeling on General Stuart!”) I thought it was as entertaining as anything else that was going on in the show at that point.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I just don't remember any other Nadine scenes than those I've listed out.

I hate the Lana stuff but even then probably isn't many scenes - offhand, I remember it prominently only in 17, 19, ans 28, by which point I find it more bearable lol.

The Marsh stuff has the most scenes maybe of all the stuff listed here and Little Nicky the least?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

When one sees Ben Horne's Civil War shenanigans and then remembers this is the same man who plotted with Jean Renault to have Cooper eliminated, one feels like he could cry at how low they let this once formidable character sink...