The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by Brad D »

Oy! Graceland. Yeah - I think another event there is non-existent (for lack of a better term) for now. Maybe that was for the best. Whoever was running it seemed to have absolutely zero handle on what the hardcore fest-going fans want.

I think, if covid can start fading away for good, we will get an official event somewhere else the first half of 2022. Seems like a good bet from what I'm told.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Did they ever explain why the refunds weren't automatic? I was gobsmacked to read people were expected to actively request one by phone within 30 days of the announcement.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

No. That was shady as hell. Whoever was the project manager on that hopefully stays clear away from any future Tp event.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Bit of a tinfoil hat theory, the intros to S1 and S2 are obviously just showing the town because it takes place in the town of Twin Peaks. But S3 shows the Red Room and Jack Rabbit’s Palace/The White Lodge Woods in the intro. Was this purposely to show that S3 takes place entirely in the Red Room like other people have theorized.

Edit: Came back to this post and started laughing
"Jade give two rides."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

DougieJones wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:05 pm Bit of a tinfoil hat theory, the intros to S1 and S2 are obviously just showing the town because it takes place in the town of Twin Peaks. But S3 shows the Red Room and Jack Rabbit’s Palace/The White Lodge Woods in the intro. Was this purposely to show that S3 takes place entirely in the Red Room like other people have theorized.

Edit: Came back to this post and started laughing
It's still a good observation. The red drapes and chevron floor zig and zag against one another and consume all the rest and send us into the episode. There's also the emergence of the sounds of nature, though.

In other news, my brother was shopping at Home Depot today and bought an owl statue thing to scare away chipmunks. I'm not sure if he went in for the owl specifically, or if he was inspired by the fact that Home Depot was playing the Twin Peaks Theme over the speakers! This can only mean that an announcement of new Twin Peaks is imminent.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Well, it seems like a stronger indication than Lynch's recent non-announcement announcements, so maybe! 8)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

RE the opening credits. I think it helped set the tone/mood of the Return integrating red curtains/ chevron floor that what you're about to see is in the realm of the phantasmagorical or mythological, and not a small town logging community show anymore. By omitting the log cutting and showing the remnant of the mill up front in ep 1, it communicated that time had passed, and part of the town had died.

In some respects, I wish Piper Laurie had done just a scene or two, to see where Catherine was at with the death of the mill etc
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Speaking of logging, I always laughed whenever there was an establishing shot featured roaring wood trade and trucks with felled trees after the mill was burned down.

I mean there are probably other saw mills around the vicinity but it felt like an oversight.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:32 pm Speaking of logging, I always laughed whenever there was an establishing shot featured roaring wood trade and trucks with felled trees after the mill was burned down.

I mean there are probably other saw mills around the vicinity but it felt like an oversight.
It’s actually left pretty ambiguous whether or not the whole mill was burned down or just one area of it. I started a thread about this awhile ago: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3496
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:08 pm
Histeria wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:32 pm Speaking of logging, I always laughed whenever there was an establishing shot featured roaring wood trade and trucks with felled trees after the mill was burned down.

It’s actually left pretty ambiguous whether or not the whole mill was burned down or just one area of it. I started a thread about this awhile ago: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3496
In the scene with Red and Richard, aren’t there logs still being cut?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I remember a while back during The Return there was discussion about some Twilight Zone episodes and similarities to The Return. - Was watching some episodes this morning for Halloween and highly recommend the episode A World of Difference — about a man who realizes the world he’s living in isn’t real. Hope everyone has a great Halloween!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Hester Prynne wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:59 am I remember a while back during The Return there was discussion about some Twilight Zone episodes and similarities to The Return. - Was watching some episodes this morning for Halloween and highly recommend the episode A World of Difference — about a man who realizes the world he’s living in isn’t real. Hope everyone has a great Halloween!
That was actually a recurring theme of a lot of Twilight Zone episodes. In fact, I think the very first episode was of a military pilot who is experiencing a lot of things, and at the end, we realize it is all a delusion.

The difference with The Return and most of Lynch's work is that it is all up to interpretation. Could be 'real', a dream, a delusion, alternate timelines, alternate universes, etc.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Watching Halloween (1978). What would it have been like if David Lynch had directed it? Blue Velvet meets - what? Eraserhead? Something else?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Twin Peaks Star Sherilyn Fenn Debunks Fake Audrey
https://screenrant.com/twin-peaks-seaso ... -debunked/
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I don't really see how that debunks or confirms anything, really. Also, if the character we saw for the majority of the time, then who was the (seemingly much different) Audrey who was looking in the mirror? Or are they the very same? The disheveled hair and no makes me think: no, not at all. I got some heavy MD vibes there. Could be Odessa Audrey, who knows.
As for this article, I feel it's title is quite contradictory with it's content, and takes Fenn's words very much out of context. I'm with DKL on this one, not really with Fenn, neither with the fan theorists; understanding is overrated.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."