The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:45 pm I don't think Bravo had any original programming in those days (?), it was mostly licensing of art films, tv shows. the expense of the Log Lady intros were probably quite considerable, Lynch's directing fee, the DP, Coulson, a few crew, lab costs to process and transfer the film. I wonder how those came about, if Lynch pitched that to Bravo or Bravo asked him to make those ? I'm sure there had to have been a conversation about making new episodes at the time.

my guess is that any cable channel then couldn't come anywhere near the ABC budget, and was probably the deal breaker.

HBO was really tepid about doing a one hour drama then, and was making mostly half hour shows - The Hitchhiker, Tales from the Crypt, Dream On, Larry Sanders. Possible HBO talked to Lynch about it, and that's how Hotel Room came to be, cheaper to make half hours on one set.
I always say I fantasize about a Season 3 on ABC back in the day, but if Bravo or HBO or somewhere had picked up the show it would have been possibly even better again. All the original cast (hopefully), the 90's, and a cable company giving them more freedom to create (maybe not quite what they got with Showtime 25 years later, given the time period, but much more freedom still than on ABC) - wow, that would have been truly amazing!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Saw this on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... t_but_the/) and thought I'd share it here too.

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Back to Dallas. Wasn't sure where to post this - didn't seem enough for its own thread but today I looked up Dallas and realised that it and Twin Peaks both ended in 1991 - I don't think I ever made the connection before!

I think Dallas had been treading water for years since the famous Dream Season (8) so by the time it ended (after 14 seasons!) it had probably overstayed its welcome (though two reunion movies would follow only five and seven years later, not to mention like Twin Peaks it also got its own revival that lasted three seasons).
Funny how Dallas got like 357 episodes, 2 or 3 TV movies, and a 3-season revival compared to Twin Peaks with only a fraction of that - 30 original episodes, 1 movie, a 1-season 18 episode revival. (The X-Files and other shows also got many more episodes than Twin Peaks.) Whereas Twin Peaks, despite the major backlash, was still relatively the new kid on the block and I feel could have been turned around for a years (though many disagree with me on that) if the network had renewed it or a cable company had picked it up.

I always saw Peaks as a kind of soap opera parody, made possible in part because of big nighttime soap operas like Dallas. Lynch disagrees that it was a parody (as I've discussed in another thread) but there's no denying the popularity of nighttime soaps like Dallas probably paved the way for Twin Peaks (and they directly payed homage to it in the Who Shoot Cooper? cliffhanger of Season 1). That and murder mystery/detective shows as well.

While I'm sure it's only a coincidence that Dallas and Twin Peaks both ended in 1991, do you think there was any correlation? Is it possible ABC knew Dallas was ending and, in addition to failing ratings and the backlash, it made them decide to cancel Peaks perhaps feeling the era of glossy nighttime soaps was ending? (Though I'm sure others probably continued the very next season.)

Did you see any other parallels between the two shows? Invitation to Love felt more like a direct play on more daytime soaps like Santa Barbara than the nighttime ones like Dallas.

Any major Dallas fans here? I find it an interesting bit of television history, notably its Who Shot JR? episode, cliffhangers, and Dream Season - but can't say I'm big fan or have rewatched it significantly since I was a child. I did buy the first couple of seasons on DVD back in the day, not sure how many I watched, maybe a handful.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Dallas was probably the first series I ever watched on TV... as far I remember, being a boy, I developed a sort of crush for Pamela ;-) That's about all I remember... so no, I wasn't a fan and I don't see any parallels :-)

But I do see that Lynch really liked the Keaton episode and that you are trying to make it seem like it was just PR but you're not doing particularly well :P
Face it, Ep.22 is great! :D
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ha. No, I do think he really liked it, just acknowledging the PR thing as it's possible he was being diplomatic or others will say that's all he was being, but I do believe he honestly liked it too.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I was a kid in the 80's. Dallas tended to go over my head a bit whenever I tried to watch it at like age 9 or 10, I remember it blowing my mind JR and the guy from I dream of Jeannie were the same actor. I did watch the last episode, and I did see the TV movie in the 90's that explained it away as a dream, which I think they did on the TV show too when they wanted to write themselves out of a corner. It definitely cast a big shadow on TV.

I think MF and DL acknowledged Peyton Place in some press (which itself was an americanized version of Coronation Street) but I don't think they ever acknowledged Dallas.

the Dallas/Dynasty/ Knots Landing shows did seem like old hat by 1991, women with big hair and spiraling staircases and cocktail parties became out of vogue. seems like hipper shows like 90210, Party of Five, and Melrose Place became the big primetime soap hits in the 90's I think, which were all Fox, and had less older characters, but I guess Heather Locklear was like the JR of Melrose. CBS tried with CPW which only lasted a season.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
cxdj89h1qzd71.jpg
cxdj89h1qzd71.jpg (109.56 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:43 pm...
Is that actually THE log together with THE, uh, trunk?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Yep!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

There were shots in the original series (establishing shots and cutaways of the police station entrance or hospital hallway) that were clearly stills because even the film grain was static/frozen instead of noisy. No idea if this was something to do with later restorations or were there at the time.

In The Return, there were very similar shots with unmoving "grain", which is odd considering it's not film and I'd assume the constraints of 1989 weren't present in 2015.

Also, what's with Truman and Bobby being translucent when playing with Briggs's wotsit capsule in The Return? You can see through their bodies and the backdrop of burned down sawmill (which wasn't located anywhere near the sherif station in 1991, surely!).
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

you can see through their bodies ? as in the parking lot scene ? I'll have to re look at that.

The stock shots of the traffic light and the great northern at night in the Return looked recycled. I never noticed stills rather than moving grain establishments, probably cause I always watched original show in SD.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

20210731_093228.gif
20210731_093228.gif (486.07 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I don't know exactly what I'm seeing there, but it's interesting. I think I had always just assumed it was some shadow ricocheting somehow as I never noted it as being translucent.

As for the mill, I think that's another example of Lynch/Frost pulling the curtain back, so to speak, and layering the real world into the show as one of the layers of narrative/reality commenting on and interacting with the rest. If one knows what they're looking at (I'm sure not all viewers know that it's the mill or that it's not supposed to be there within the series' geography) it's pretty alarming, but also pretty subtle in the way it lends to the feeling of loss and decay.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Sorry, I had to drastically shorten/speed up the gif to get it under the 1MB limit. In the longer (and slower) video it's more clear that it appears to be Bobby's shadow as he walks back.

There's a few other examples of reflections (like when Dougie/Coop is outside outside house as Janey-E and Sonny Jim drive off) that appear as if they're filming with a glass screen between the subject and the camera rig. You can see images (houses, I guess) across the back of Coop's head.
20210323_220506_1_1.gif
20210323_220506_1_1.gif (538.07 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
Also, since it's a randomness thread... Janey evidently stole the E from the back of the kompromat photos.
Attachments
20210323_230149.jpg
20210323_230149.jpg (984.84 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

this video doesn't have a precise date, but David Lynch on CNN just after Cannes FWWM in 1992, the newscaster lady says One Saliva Bubble is his next project at the end of the clip -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEBP_TwcsA