The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by LateReg »

That beard really tied the face together.
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

:lol:
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Might be the strangest place I've run into a TP actor:

Nae Yuuki (Naido in S3, Street Person #2 in Inland Empire) in BS Super Mario Collection, an obscure Mario game on an obscure satellite peripheral for the NES, in which she voice-acted the game's narration and appeared in sprite form as herself. Toad Houses in the game are instead called "Nae's House."

Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

AXX°N N. wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:27 pm Might be the strangest place I've run into a TP actor:

Nae Yuuki (Naido in S3, Street Person #2 in Inland Empire) in BS Super Mario Collection, an obscure Mario game on an obscure satellite peripheral for the NES, in which she voice-acted the game's narration and appeared in sprite form as herself. Toad Houses in the game are instead called "Nae's House."

That's so great, thanks for sharing AXXoN N!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

https://web.archive.org/web/20141019205 ... nch-story/

Buchanan discussed the timeless quality of Twin Peaks, “Although it was the early 90’s, it could be the 50’s, it could be any time really. I would say part of the premise is that it was a sweeter time in America, a sweeter time where still very bad things happened. It’s got that wonderful kind of Leave It To Beaver thing, everyone living in these sweet little houses. What’s presented in the front is Americana, and that is very timeless. It holds up phenomenally well.”

He also discussed working with two of Hollywood’s most acclaimed directors, “I like David Fincher a lot, it’s great fun, it’s nice because he’s in charge, and I like that. I love when one person is in charge, sometimes I go to work and I don’t know who is in charge (laughs).” He added, “That’s the great thing about Lynch, Fincher, and any great director, on a great movie set. When they say action, the rest of the world stands still, and I just love that.”

Buchanan said that David Lynch would refer to actors by their character’s names on set, and recalled having to hang upside down for 2 days on the set of On The Air, which led to a hilarious back and forth with Lynch. “By the time they got me down on the ground, I was such a total mess. I was very nauseous like, ‘Oh my god, you’ve got to get me out of there. David came over, and I was upside down, and my eyes were on the floor looking at his feet. He lent down, he said, which I didn’t hear him say, ‘Copacetic, Lester.’ I thought he said, ‘You’re so pathetic.’ (Laughs) I was like, ‘What!? How could you say that, after all this?’ He was like, ‘What’s the matter? What’s the matter?’ I said, ‘You call me pathetic! I’m not pathetic! How could you say that?’ He was like, ‘Copacetic, copacetic Lester.'”

When it comes to returning for Twin Peaks’ Showtime revival, Buchanan said he “would be thrilled, honored, and delighted” to return. He revealed where he thinks Dick Tremayne is today, “I don’t know, I think he’s be singing in a lounge some place. He either has gone off to other places, bigger and greater, or if he’s still in that town, I think he might be a cheesy lounge singer in some bar. He could be anything quite honestly, he could be running the whole Horne’s department store.”
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Another one.

https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/08/14 ... -buchanan/

How he landed the role on Twin Peaks: The first thing I did with David Lynch was a Calvin Klein Obsession ad with Lara Flynn Boyle and that’s how I first met David. We shot it over the weekend and then on Tuesday, my agent got a call from Johanna Ray to go in and meet with them for the role of Dick Tremayne. David had kind of mentioned it while we were working. “Oh, I think I have something for you on the show that I’m doing” – which I had not seen, the show. The show had just started airing. They always say that when you’re on television you very seldom watch television and I wasn’t paying much attention. I was busy doing other stuff at the time.

How the role of Dick was originally described to him: Pretty much exactly as he appeared. The manager of Horne’s department store, which he considered to be high fashion – which was not. A bit delusional, someone who saw himself as flamboyant and a bon vivant, who probably barely made it across the border from Canada. That was the description. It was pretty much written that way also. By the time I had my first wardrobe fitting, I knew it would be exactly how they described it. It was absolutely perfect. There’s nothing else to do except swell around in the plethora of plaid. There was a lot of plaid. It’s funny because I grew up in Scotland and I have to be honest – I saw more plaid in this country than I ever saw growing up. Here it really is a plethora of plaid. It’s unbelievable. You go to buy wrapping paper, and you have a choice of one hundred plaid wrapping papers or plaid shopping bags. Plaid is definitely a big part of American life.

Memories of working with David Lynch and Mark Frost: I had more of a working relationship with David on “On the Air” which followed Twin Peaks. By the time I joined Twin Peaks, Mark was around, but David wasn’t around as much as he had been in the first season. Most of my memories are of the people I worked with, Harry Goaz, Kimmy Robertson, Peggy Lipton, Sherilyn Fenn. Billy Zane I knew from previous stuff and of course the wonderful Miguel Ferrer. We had a lot of fun. For the most part, we were just in our own little three-way storyline. I think they had other stuff as well but for the most part, I just worked with them and then Little Nicky. My memories are really of working with them and also the great guest directors, of course. Leslie Linka Glatter was just phenomenal. Caleb Deschanel’s daughter Zoey I went on to work with when she was very young. She was around the set when she was a kid. Her mother was on the show also (Eileen Hayward). We had a very solid crew which helped a director come in and give it their own flavor. It was set up to be fairly consistent although it changed I think. I recently watched the whole series and I do think you can see the styles of the different people who directed episodes.

Funny stories from the set: In one of the final episodes, when Heather Graham won Miss Twin Peaks, that was all hysterically funny. There were things just thrown in that we didn’t expect. I remember watching one of the people who were dressing the halls while we were rolling on a scene during the Miss Twin Peaks competition carried in a prop goat or sheep and started humping it right across from me, Peggy and the man who played the Mayor. I remember thinking “What is going on? Did I miss this in rehearsal?” Moments like that I remember. Of course there were all sorts of great instances where things went wrong and David kind of liked that. Lights would crackle, or something and David would keep it. I always had a great time there. I was so used to soap operas with the pressure of 25 to 35 pages and on Twin Peaks I would have maybe five pages. I would have none of that pressure, so it became this wondrous experience. Funny things, quirky things happening in a Lynchian world.

On the mood onset of Twin Peaks Season 2: I would say it was probably more quirky from what people said. I think they had introduced some more slightly more quirky characters. I wasn’t paying too much attention to all of that (issues with the network, time slot changes and the ratings) because towards the end of the second season I was already involved with “On the Air”. I wasn’t paying too much attention to the politics of what was going on. I knew the night had changed and by then I knew it was an extraordinary show to be on but these things happen. I’ve seen it happen before and since then where people have control, and they don’t want to give it up, so they have to fight.

Twin Peaks The Return: I’ve only watched a little bit of it. I was gone while they were shooting it and I kind of was part of the conversation, and it would have been very nice to do. I had talked to Joanna about it and I believe at one point it was under serious discussion. Then things changed at some point. If there’s more, I would love to do it. How do you revisit something 25 years later? How do you go back to something that was about 3 or 4 of the most beautiful girls in the world and revisit it? You do what they’re doing now, which is what’s so brilliant. I’ve only watched a little bit though. As they were going through the promotional stuff with the original show, I went to festivals and such and the most fascinating thing is that the core audience has been so loyal for 25 years and keeping it alive and now there’s a new audience too. It’s pretty spectacular. I was on set today (working on The Bold and The Beautiful), and there’s an actress with her sons who were maybe 11 and 14 who were just completely obsessed with the whole thing—the old and the new. They were asking me questions and I didn’t know. I never really got involved with trying to figure out the puzzles of it all, but these kids were so into it. It was really fascinating.

Wally Brando and the idea that Dick was his father: Someone mentioned that to me. He was playing Brando, from “The Wild One”, right? I think that’s genius; I love that. Perhaps that’s what I was being discussed for! [Laughs] I haven’t seen Joanna (Ray) in a while. Next time I see her, I’ll have to ask her about that.

On the Air: I loved it. I had more fun on it than I ever had before. I’ve gone on to have a lot of fun since too. I definitely loved it. I see Nancy Ferguson all the time and even the last time I saw Miguel, we talked about how we should not have been so happy doing something. You can’t be that happy, it can’t last and we learned that lesson the hard way. We were so happy; we were like kids in the sandbox every single one of us. We just couldn’t wait to get there and it was so much fun, so outrageously funny for us. I just thought it was great. It was brilliant. I had a wonderful, wonderful time.

Again, I don’t really know what happened with it. I think it may have been before its time and I think it may have its time again—25 years later! [Laughs] It would be an interesting world 25 years later. Someone told me we did seven episodes and someone else said nine. Maybe we had two missing episodes that weren’t aired. I can’t remember. I think we did nine. We did the pilot and then it got picked up maybe six to nine months later, and then we did maybe eight more episodes. I’m not sure. I promoted it in Japan, where it did very well. I think they had nine episodes on a laserdisc release years ago. Over the past year, we’ve lost a lot of the cast: Kim, Miguel and more. They’ve all passed on over the past several months. We had such a great roster of guest directors, guest artists and guest stars. Angelo Badalamenti made the music which was so great and whimsical. It was fun to sit around with him while he composed, in between composing the opening for the Barcelona Olympics.

Memories of Miguel Ferrer: Miguel was a very special man. He came from a great family. I had a great time working with him. We traveled together several times on different promotional stuff and we just had a wonderful time. Very special memories of him; he was quite a wonderful human being and unique gentleman.

Differences between day time and nighttime soaps: The pacing (is the big difference). Even the soap operas that are still around now—I’ve been on two of the surviving ones over the past six months. One is a one hour show that does 120 pages a day and the other is a half hour show that does 60 or 70 pages a day. It’s very exciting actually but you just really have to know it and hit the ground running. There’s no time or space for discovery or discussion really. With a nighttime show, there’s generally the time between blocking and lighting. There’s generally time to chat, run dialogue and think about it or talk about it. That’s the only difference is the pacing. Having said that, I can’t imagine doing Game of Thrones and doing one of those episodes in nine or ten days or something. It’s mind-blowing. The content is so incredibly rich and involved that I can’t even conceive of that.

Memories of the Garry Shandling Show: I loved it. I was actually doing General Hospital, and Garry was on the next sound stage, which made it easy because I could do General Hospital in the day and then run over there and do a table read. It was great. I loved working with Garry and learned a lot about comedy. He was an extraordinary fellow.

What is Dick Tremayne doing in 2017?: That’s funny. I do have an answer for that. Someone asked me this recently – I’m not sure if it was printed or not though. I said that he was running the “Dicks and Dolls” modeling agency out of a little satellite office. (Laughs) That’s what I think he’s doing.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Thank you for this, Jonah! If a new season ever happens, Dick Tremayne should definitely come back. I didn't know he was actually considered for The Return.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Lynch was asked if perhaps, compellingly fantastic as it is, "Twin Peaks" might not be too special for mass-audience network TV. Perhaps it would be more at home on some flaky cable channel.

Washington Post. 2/23/91

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 398efa643/
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

a lot of good quotes -

Lynch conceded that the quality of the shows dipped a smidge once the murderer of Laura Palmer -- the big mystery of 1990 -- was revealed: "We were fishing a little bit after Laura. But I think we're doing okay now. The shows are still very, very entertaining, because they're about characters that people want to see."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I stumbled across that article before. The most surprising part of it to me was that Lynch liked the Keaton episode! (Or at least claimed to. As I said before, I understand he might have being positive and diplomatic for the press, but I think he was telling the truth. He really did like it. At least at the time.) Interesting to see it was still being considered for Season 3 or was that Iger just being diplomatic? Probably.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

He mighta convinced himself at the time he liked the Keaton episode, and then later, re thought it, but he was of course in hype PR mode here too. but one could argue there are seeds of the Getty storyline in LH are in all that Evelyn Marsh stuff. Matt Battaglia was in that ep and turned up in S3, though that's more likely just cause he was in Johanna Ray's rolodex.

I do remember people saying TP should be on cable. Silk Stalkings wound up going from CBS to USA Network on cable picking it up.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:45 pm I do remember people saying TP should be on cable. Silk Stalkings wound up going from CBS to USA Network on cable picking it up.
Never heard of it but after Googling - wow, it ran 2 seasons on regular TV, then six more once it switched over to cable. Imagine if that had happened for TP!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think that was the second time (?) USA did that, they also did a season of Airwolf after it got cancelled on CBS or whatever. I imagine there must have been some sort of conversations about moving TP to cable after cancellation. Bravo was able to afford Log Lady intros shot on film at least. Did Deming DP those ?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This is probably a question for the other thread about why ABC treated the show the way it did, where we discussed the cancellation in depth, but I do wonder if Lynch and Frost ever thought of shopping it to other networks or indeed if they even did? I always wondered why Bravo never picked it up when it picked up the rights to re-run the original series, possibly a budget issue. But I have no idea if Lynch/Frost ever shopped it elsewhere. Anyone know?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I don't think Bravo had any original programming in those days (?), it was mostly licensing of art films, tv shows. the expense of the Log Lady intros were probably quite considerable, Lynch's directing fee, the DP, Coulson, a few crew, lab costs to process and transfer the film. I wonder how those came about, if Lynch pitched that to Bravo or Bravo asked him to make those ? I'm sure there had to have been a conversation about making new episodes at the time.

my guess is that any cable channel then couldn't come anywhere near the ABC budget, and was probably the deal breaker.

HBO was really tepid about doing a one hour drama then, and was making mostly half hour shows - The Hitchhiker, Tales from the Crypt, Dream On, Larry Sanders. Possible HBO talked to Lynch about it, and that's how Hotel Room came to be, cheaper to make half hours on one set.