Open Matte Version of FWWM?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

YANA

Open Matte Version of FWWM?

Post by YANA »

Was just wondering, as I've seen mentions in the past of a VHS version of 'Fire Walk With Me' having more within the tops and bottoms of the frame due to being in open matte format (top ceiling of Red Room, accidental boom mic etc.), if anyone has any clips of this version?
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Open Matte Version of FWWM?

Post by Ross »

I've never owned the VHS, but remember renting it a few times back in the day- it was definitely open matte. I distinctly remember you could see the yellow "Home of Twin Peaks pies" sign on the diner in the shot where Laura walks towards the Temonds. Its cropped out in the properly formatted aspect ratio. And yes, there were also a few shots where you could see the tops of the curtains in the Red Room.

I've searched online for video clips or even pics from the VHS, but haven't found any.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Is this just the regular vhs release? I'm sure it's still at my parents house. Pretty sure I paid like $100 for it. (Kids, in the olden days, you couldn't just buy a movie the day it came out on home video without paying an insane premium. This was so video rental stores could have a quasi-exclusive on them. I'll explain video rental stores at another time).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Ross wrote:And yes, there were also a few shots where you could see the tops of the curtains in the Red Room.
:shock:

Gotta imagine Lynch had zero say in this video release! I can just see him wincing and holding his forehead in his hands when confronted with a copy of this in a video store, muttering to himself "It's a great sadness..."
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Is it my imagination but does this kind of thing seem to happen more often in the Lynchverse?

I mean Nolan had audio issues with the IMAX of interstellar so maybe it's more common than I think but there's the MD pilot floating around, an open matte version of fire walk with me.

I've never seen either by the way, only a screenshot of robert Forster at his precinct desk...

But I mean how does an open matte version make its way in to video stores anyways... Crazy.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ross wrote:I've never owned the VHS, but remember renting it a few times back in the day- it was definitely open matte. I distinctly remember you could see the yellow "Home of Twin Peaks pies" sign on the diner in the shot where Laura walks towards the Temonds. Its cropped out in the properly formatted aspect ratio. And yes, there were also a few shots where you could see the tops of the curtains in the Red Room.

I've searched online for video clips or even pics from the VHS, but haven't found any.
I recall the first German R2 DVD release used a Full Frame transfer. I used to own it but haven't seen it in years.
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

This thread has some pictures/information http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2541
nemo wrote:Here are some screen shots. Looks familiar :?:
Attachments
1.png
1.png (315.02 KiB) Viewed 13386 times
2.png
2.png (365.78 KiB) Viewed 13386 times
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Kmkmiller wrote:Is it my imagination but does this kind of thing seem to happen more often in the Lynchverse?

I mean Nolan had audio issues with the IMAX of interstellar so maybe it's more common than I think but there's the MD pilot floating around, an open matte version of fire walk with me.

I've never seen either by the way, only a screenshot of robert Forster at his precinct desk...

But I mean how does an open matte version make its way in to video stores anyways... Crazy.
Actually, back in the VHS days, and before widescreen TVs, many movies were released open matte to fill the TV screen. Resulting in things showing that weren't meant to be.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

well i'll be. never knew that.

and i'm ancient. had a vhs player. just never noticed i guess.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Kmkmiller wrote:well i'll be. never knew that.

and i'm ancient. had a vhs player. just never noticed i guess.
Yeah, one famous example was Pee-Wee's Big Adventure which revealed many many things that shouldn't have been seen.
YANA

Post by YANA »

Yeah, thanks for those pics, those are what I'd stumbled across before, really interesting (well, to me anyway haha!). If it's not out of the way for anybody reading, a chance at seeing some clips or more pics if they have any would be great!
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

excellent