NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

adl345
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by adl345 »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Speaking of near-baseless speculation (I can hear the sighing already), I listened to the first episode of the now peaking podcast and they mentioned "a rumoured $200 million" budget. This has to be BS right? I haven't seen that figure cited anywhere else.
That would tie it (with "The Pacific") as the most expensive season of television ever. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing you can do without anybody noticing. So yeah, you can almost certainly dismiss that number.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

200 million? I know Lynch and Frost really got a lot out of Showtime for this, and having made 18 episodes definitely suggests a sizeable budget no matter how you slice it, but 200 million is an absurd figure to be throwing around. I understand that advertising budgets can be quite big and that with some productions the advertising budget could be fairly hefty - but I don't think it's anywhere high enough to bring the combined budget of 200 million.

I think I've seen the 80 million figure thrown around which I can get behind. If you consider that GoT lately costs about 10 million an ep, and a lot of that has to do with sfx, foreign shooting and increased wages for cast following the initial seasons' success. - 80mil places the show at roughly 4.4 million an ep mark which sounds about right if the show got a hefty budget.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

laughingpinecone wrote:Are we taking this rumour more seriously than Nevins' announcements that the show consists of 18 episodes/parts? I could believe pick-ups and stray additions (<s>...Ontkean please and thank you :oops: </s>) even though it's... really late, after one year from the end of filming and months and months after the reported end of editing. But surely it's nothing major enough to disrupt the way the material's already been divided?
In all honestly, it's Lynch and anything is possible. They seem to have given him complete control, so you never know what's happening behind the scenes.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

indyit wrote:200 million? I know Lynch and Frost really got a lot out of Showtime for this, and having made 18 episodes definitely suggests a sizeable budget no matter how you slice it, but 200 million is an absurd figure to be throwing around. I understand that advertising budgets can be quite big and that with some productions the advertising budget could be fairly hefty - but I don't think it's anywhere high enough to bring the combined budget of 200 million.
Plus, they can't really have spent much on advertising so far!!! A few pop up stores, scattered billboards and a couple teasers... :wink:
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Let's just say I find more filming exceedingly plausible.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:Let's just say I find it exceedingly plausible.
Hmmmmm...woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww. Tantalizing!
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Whether a show is on a broadcast network, cable network or streaming platform, there's rarely out of home advertising that leaves out tune-in information. Showtime decided to go another route with its reboot of the insanely popular Twin Peaks.

The show, which has been off the air since 1991, only had two seasons but still has a massive fan base and culture.

To encourage the show's biggest fans to talk about the return Showtime launched eight billboards in Twin Peaks-specific neighborhoods with zero branding or tune-in. Fans are already going wild. Found Remote chatted with Showtime CMO Donald Buckley about the campaign.

Found Remote: How did you and your team come up with this?

Donald Buckley: We were just fishing around for some ideas and this one seemed fun and had a mysterious kinship with Twin Peaks.

FR: Worried people won't know what it is?

DB: I think the not knowing is as good as the knowing for Twin Peaks. We have already seen people taking pictures of the boards, posting them, and some people are making their own versions and posting them. And they are talking about them. Lots of discussion that seems to be spreading.

FR: How are you tracking the viral buzz around it?

DB: We watch Twitter, Facebook, and use the tools we have for listening and watching.

FR: Who designed it and what's the meaning?

DB: Of course I cannot tell you the meaning. But it is a pie, with a missing piece. And a piece of pie. I'm thinking it is the one that's missing. That could have so many meanings. It was designed by Showtime's really great pie-makers in their creative advertising kitchen.

FR: Leaving out tune in must have been a big decision, how was everyone convinced to do it?

DB:Here's a fun quote from David Lynch about words:

“I’m not always good with words. Some people are poets and have a beautiful way of saying things with words.” –David Lynch Everyone thought it was a good idea.
http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2017/03/ ... -principle
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Based on reports that all all actors except MacLachlan got scale, it seems unlikely. Who's bankrolling this anyway? Just Showtime and Rancho Rosa?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Based on reports that all all actors except MacLachlan got scale, it seems unlikely. Who's bankrolling this anyway? Just Showtime and Rancho Rosa?
There's a California tax break, too, right? So whatever the total amount is, they'll get some back that could lower a massive budget by like 30 mil or so, perhaps? I think that's how I've seen it work with some movies.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

I remember a number of 60 million floating around, but can't recall the source.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

N. Needleman wrote:Let's just say I find more filming exceedingly plausible.
My wildest dream - Lynch, Maclachlan, and a camera make a series of visits to our dear friends Michael Ontkean, Mary Jo Deschanel, Jessica Wallenfells, Moira Kelly, Heather Graham, Piper Laurie, and Joan Chen.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Thread for 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' by Mark Frost:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 056#p72056
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Have all of the 8 billboards been found yet? I can not find a list
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Yeah I asked a few pages ago, would also like a list if anyone knows
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Same here. I've just seen photos of two different ones yet - the incomplete pie as well as the "missing piece" (ha!).