Broadchurch & Top of the Lake

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

Broadchurch & Top of the Lake

Post by TheArm »

Not strictly TP-related, but I HIGHLY recommend both of these foreign TV imports to TP fans. Both series seem to share a lot of TP's DNA and are not only clearly influenced by the show, but unlike many lame copycats (I'm looking at you, Happy Town), these 2 shows are really top-notch. Broadchurch is airing now on BBC America and Top of the Lake is streaming on NetFlix. You will not be disappointed (and they are much better than The Killing, btw).

Anybody else a fan?
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Mastershake
Roadhouse Member

Re: Broadchurch & Top of the Lake

Post by Mastershake »

Oh yes, loved Broadchurch, great show. But I didn't like TOTL so much, wasn't bad, just not so great for me.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

I couldn't get into Top of the Lake, but I loved Broadchurch. LOVED it. It reminded me of Twin Peaks so much in the way that it actually took some time to explore the grief of the victim's family.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Based on this thread I think I should at least check out Broadchurch.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I watched Broadchurch back in September after this thread, and I enjoyed it a lot. Very good.

Some Twin Peaks parallels (especially the way it begins), but it is absolutely not Twin Peaks. At one point the young black-haired detective is offered coffee, and he says he doesn't drink coffee, to which the dejected coffee-bearer responds "Of course you don't". I like to pretend that's a "this is not Twin Peaks" joke, but I don't really know if it is.

Apparently it was meant as a one-off, but they're now planning on a second season, or a second series, as Brits say.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I really need to check out Top of the Lake... and for the record, I am really excited to see the final six episodes of The Killing. Hoo-rah Netflix. Just finished up S1 of Orange is the New Black (completely not TP related) but I thought it was brilliant.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Brad D wrote:I really need to check out Top of the Lake...
Waste of time IMO. I watched 4 episodes and the last three on rewind. Boring, pointless and disappointing.
Brad D wrote:and for the record, I am really excited to see the final six episodes of The Killing.
This season was really good. Can wait for the final one.