Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

Post by Coffee »

It only makes sense that a story about Twin Peaks would be cloaked in SECRETS and RUMORS, which begin with the same letters as “Special Agent” and “Red Room” (SPOOKY), but here goes: for years, creators David Lynch and Mark Frost have discussed the possibility of Twin Peaks, which aired on ABC from 1990-1991, returning to TV, most recently in SciFi Now, where Frost said bringing the show back is “something we talk about from time to time…If we ever do decide to move forward, I know we have a rich trove to draw from.”
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/01/twin-p ... z2GqZ50vbh
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Re: Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

Post by marchug »

-23-
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Part of me feels that Twin Peaks is so perfect as it is already, that I wouldn't like to see THAT ending get diminished by a reboot.

However, the appeal of more Twin Peaks on television - to subvert 25 years worth of television, is almost irresistible.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It's interesting isn't it? I mean these rumors pop up every few years. Wasn't it around 2009 that it last flared up? Is it different this time though? Feels a little different, but maybe that's due to the '25 Years Later' thing coming up and the usual coyness coming from Mark Frost.

So if it does come back on NBC, it would be a show that originally aired on ABC, partially owned by CBS and now on NBC. Hmmm.

I want to believe.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Interesting... Probably no more than rumors. But, I have complete faith that if Lynch AND Frost got together they could make a glorious return. Cable seems the better choice than network though. But Lynch still might have old-school feelings about that.

The tricky part would be how to go back into the story that could work as something new, yet a continuation at the same time. The original focused a lot on its young cast. Would you bring in a bunch of new young people? Perhaps kids of some of the original characters? It would be hard to find a new "Sherilyn Fenn"! And of course the hardest part would be getting around the cliffhanger. The biggest charm of the original was Cooper's character. Is there a way to get that same optimistic, and 100% original character back?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Yeah, I've been studying Mark Frost's Twitter feed for the last hour or so. I wish these people wouldn't be so coy!!

Basically, I kinda feel like this is it - it's now or never for a reboot. Lynch may be interested to return to television, especially if Networks are promising to stay out of his way this time, plus enough water has passed under the bridge for him to give the medium another try out.

Frost is a writer through and through, and whilst he has projects on the go, he's never struck me as giving a "no way" with regard to returning to Peaks. If anything he's probably interested in what can be done, after so many imitation shows have tried to capture TP.

Lets not forget that the cast isn't getting any younger, we've already lost some of the shows names - in a few years Kyle will look to old as will the others. Right now it all makes sense and clicks together thanks to the "25 years later" line.

Plus TP spoofed Dallas back in the day, and with Dallas successfully back on the airwaves, it makes sense for TP to return.

The questions are - can it all come together over the next twelve months and if so, can they recapture the magic again?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I think they will flash forward 25 years. This makes the most sense. What's really interesting to me is that they could use the footage filmed for FWWM (Coop in his room & Annie in the hospital) and then do the jump. It's already in 16x9 and could be near seamless.

I like the idea of network television if only because, much like on ABC, it will force them to be subversive.

So, BOB is in Cooper. Pete and Andrew died in the explosion. Major Briggs is... missing?
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

If the show did return they wouldn't want to alienate regular viewers, who may have never seen a single TP episode before. Starting off with Coop in the Black Lodge would require too much exposition for the first episode.

I like the angle I read about the female reporter, perhaps she comes to Twin Peaks on the anniversary of Laura Palmer's death to write an article on the tragedy and how it affected the town only to begin to 'unravel' the mystery of TP.

Lets not forget that the series may investigate many other 'mysteries' of the town - the BL may exist as only the tip of the iceberg.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great point about the reporter. That would be a great way to bring newbies up to speed. I'm really trying not to get too excited. We've been through this before.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

This is all BS folks. Not happening.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

I feel that way too, however I never would've believed that we'd get another Star Wars trilogy and yet here we are.

Like I said, it's now or never for me -- if 2015 passes then I hope we never get a reboot.

Can anyone pin point the original article that mentioned the new series? Was it just that guy that posted about being in a meeting with Lynch and NBC? Because that's pretty thin...

Has Frost hinted at anything these past couple of months? Couldn't see anything on his Twitter feed, but I was skimming. Might be worth the Twin Peaks Archive asking him directly about it, i.e. confirm or deny? As he seems to respect your site a lot... :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I could ask him, but If it is happening (doubtful) he'll just say something like 'We'll see'. That's how he operates and that's cool.

I think the rumor started with that anon post plus Frost talking so positively about Peaks:

"Last week we ran a piece in which co-creator Mark Frost suggests, rather excitedly, that the prematurely axed ’90s sensation may get its third season after all these years (the “25 years later” thing working in its favour, too). Frost’s quotes, hinting that both the creative’s and network brass may be talking, aren’t the first indication that there’s still life left in the sleepy supernatural-stricken town though. Apparently quite a few cast members, including Catherine E.Coulson (“The Log Lady”), have been contacted about possibly reprising their roles from the spooky soap, should a revisit happen.

Robert Engels, the show’s EP and writer of Fire Walk With Me, told Moviehole that he’s taken a couple of calls in recent years from networks interested in possibly reigniting the Fire Walking-flame, bringing the show back in some shape or fashion."

I mean, yes, people are scraping anything together to make it stick. But yes coffee, I think you're right. It's basically now or never.

The thought of Badalamenti scoring new music for Peaks is almost too much for me too handle.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Brad D wrote:This is all BS folks. Not happening.
I'm sure you're right, Brad. But Frost HAS mentioned the possibility of it happening, however unlikely. And Lynch has even said there are stories to tell. The NBC talks are probably BS though.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:I think they will flash forward 25 years. This makes the most sense. What's really interesting to me is that they could use the footage filmed for FWWM (Coop in his room & Annie in the hospital) and then do the jump. It's already in 16x9 and could be near seamless.
I was actually thinking that same exact thing Jerry!

And of course for us soundtrack fans, imagine new TP music...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I remember last year, Mark and David gave away some double signed copies of Laura Palmer's Secret Diary.

I always wondered what brought them together for that? Talking about ideas?