Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote: I'd hate to see a remake, or any version not involving Lynch/Frost. But with them behind it, there's no reason for me to think they couldn't pull it off.
The good thing is, Frost and Lynch own the rights to the Twin Peaks franchise, don't they? So it's not as if some studio could just decide to do a new Twin Peaks without at least them signing off on it.

I agree though... were they ever to team up on Twin Peaks again, it means they have an outstanding idea and they'll pull it off. I just think, were they ever to collaborate on a Twin Peaks story again, it's so much more likely it would be a Lynch-directed feature film and not another series pilot.
SamStanley

Post by SamStanley »

I've often longed for '25 Years Later', and until this news, I craved it.

But now I'm not so sure.

I haven't completely bought into the suggestion Lynch that is revisiting Twin Peaks, but then - I don't buy the "denials "either.

Frost has supposedly denied it, but he doesn't explicitly deny - he says "truth is harder to come by"

Even if this is a denial, the source of the rumour says studio execs were wary of Lynch working alone.

Could Lynch have snubbed Frost as he pretty much did with FWWM?

Lynch has always spoken fondly of Twin Peaks, and given the impression he feels that it still lives out there somewhere.

Twin Peaks is my religion. I have been to North Bend, and seen those trees. I've felt more profound emotions watching this show, than I have at any other time in my life.

To bring Twin Peaks back, they would have to pull off a miracle.

I think you can split Lynch's filmography in half at the final episode.

Something changed, and FWWM bears more similarities with everything that came after than what came before. Twin Peaks had the feel of Blue Velvet & Wild At Heart. FWWM has more in common with Lost Highway.

Which isn't to say I don't love FWWM, but I think that's the end. FWWM addresses the reality of the show: Laura Palmer's abuse and murder by her father.

No matter how well they managed to recapture the magic, the heart of the show has gone.

It was, and always will be about Laura.

I'd be open to a one-off, a complete reunion of cast and crew (as much as mortality would allow), something akin to the final episode, but a series is beyond even Lynch's considerable, otherworldly talents.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

To me, it was never about Laura.

It was about the people in the town filtered through their different perceptions of Laura.

Laura didn't exist so much as she was the combination of various people's different accounts and memories of her.

That's why it initially worked -because she was the eternal phantom that we would never fully know or solve.

(hmmm, so yeah -I guess it was about Laura)
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Why do people keep saying there were no cell phones in Twin Peaks? Hank and Ernie both use ones on the show.

If the show is brought back, I'm almost certain that there would be way more scenes in the Red Room.

I really love the idea of a 'Bad' Cooper out there.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Why do people keep saying there were no cell phones in Twin Peaks? Hank and Ernie both use ones on the show.
Plus if they were to return, I'm sure they would downplay anything that would tie the visuals to a specific time and feel, just as they did before.

Audrey Horne wrote:To me, it was never about Laura.

It was about the people in the town filtered through their different perceptions of Laura.
Very well said, Audrey!

Anyway, I don't think anyone has flat out said they will never return to TP. At least not lately. I know Lynch has said in the past that TP is "dead". But he has said more recently that there are stories left to tell, so you never know. Maybe Jupiter and Saturn will meet again someday.
Last edited by Ross on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Audrey Horne wrote: (hmmm, so yeah -I guess it was about Laura)
:lol: That made me laugh.

As tempted as I am to let my imagination run wild with what Lynch and Frost could do... I have to stop myself and admit that I don't really want a Twin Peaks reboot. It's just that fear of it being a let-down and ruining the original series.

But then we're talking about David Lynch. So. Yeah... Um... I mean... frankly, one should never second-guess Lynch. Ever. It's just stupid.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I'm all for more Twin Peaks. The town itself and the characters leave it wide open to tell more stories about the characters. As ever, it's down to whoever collaborates with David Lynch on it. But I would rather it be a cable series where it can include the quirky, lighter fun of the TV show, but be able to wade into the darker waters of the film if necessary.

Actually, I'd be perfectly happy with starting off with a miniseries edit of FWWM that includes the deleted scenes. There's a lot in the FWWM screenplay that could help set up a 25-years-later continuation...
Twinpeaksgame

Post by Twinpeaksgame »

My personal opinion about a remake/reboot/sequel whatever:

Twin Peaks was, is and will be a Lynch creation. Anything new not involving him on it will be a total crap. Most genial things that came out from the show were because of David Lynch creation process. Think about Bob (the scenes with him after "Just you" is simply genius), weird things, dialogues.

So, who seriously think to give the series a new life must have a very close relation with the Lynch mind process, which in fact is almost impossible...

And the show was magic also because of the cast members, so bizarre and versatile actors. It will be impossible to bring back to life most of them (see FWWM for Dana, I simply didn't like her, imagine now after 23 years).

Plus many shows and movie remakes nowadays are just horrible to watch. Anyway if something is going out, Lynch has to direct for me, noone else. They can't ruin the most incredible television work ever created.

The idea of a "Bad" Cooper is necessary of course (I've follow this line for my game scripting) but here comes a big ?
Who will play the role of Bob in a future sequel or movie, that man was simply unique, so scary. I still looks to some mirrors in the dark with a bad feeling sometimes...
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:The idea of a contemporary story in Twin Peaks with cell phones, and the internet, and the kinds of young actors and actresses who work in TV today (ugh... they don't make 'em like they did in 1990! ha)
Well, just like they made the early 90s feel timeless, I'm sure they would do the same thing now.

I'd hate to see a remake, or any version not involving Lynch/Frost. But with them behind it, there's no reason for me to think they couldn't pull it off.
I always said no to new episodes of Twin Peaks. But now when almost 25 years passed, I say yes if Lynch/Frost will be involved. I agree with Ross - there's no need to worry (if they'll control the whole thing). It's now or never. There will be no better time to bring it back.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Interesting thoughts from everyone. Like I said in an earlier post, I think there are still dramatic ways that a new series could be framed around Laura Palmer. Perhaps the most exciting thing would be to see the show subvert the genre that it created originally - shows like The X-Files, LOST, Fringe have taken the formula and run with it. Like how Twin Peaks originally took the rulebook of shows such as Dallas and ripped it to shreds - imagine it doing the same to the serial mystery genre. That's exciting to me.

Also, lets face it, a new series of the show would never be what we would expect it to be. For instance we presume that Evil Cooper and the Black Lodge would feature, but I think they would want to create a new mythology that builds upon the old, rather than continuing on from where the final episode plotted.

The 'Evil in the Woods' doesn't have to just refer to the Lodge - that could just be the tip of the iceberg (and I prefer to think it is). I see the Lodge's as being almost sacred ground - I'm not sure a new series should reveal too much of it's origins etc.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Thinking of it a little bit, I think one way to deal with the Lodges without ruining the mystery, would be to have Windom Earle return, still stuck in the Black Lodge, but he has somehow (not sure what the backstory would be here) have gained some power there and he begins to 'infect' Twin Peaks with the Black Lodge. Think of the artwork of the Goldbox Edition DVD set... the black and white zig-zagged road... things like that could start to occur as the lines blur between the two worlds. The dopelgangers begin to switch places with there 'real world' counterparts etc.

I'd like to see some of the otherwordly, 'God-like' powers that the Lodge's can give a person. There's some great opportunities for genuine horror, strange visuals and great drama with that line of thinking.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

loving those ideas coffee.

in the meantime, i am watching the dear meadow part of fwwm. once it hits the twin peaks sign and theme i am going to put in the european version of the pilot. all this talk of more twin peaks has got me wanting more....
-23-
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Here is what Jen Lynch posted on her Facebook page:
A_zxD0yCEAADVvk.jpg-large.jpg
A_zxD0yCEAADVvk.jpg-large.jpg (21.65 KiB) Viewed 13767 times
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

dugpa wrote:Here is what Jen Lynch posted on her Facebook page:
A_zxD0yCEAADVvk.jpg-large.jpg
Sucks. What sucks even more is that I would have loved for Jen Lynch to have a more active role in any future incarnations of Twin Peaks.
Twinpeaksgame

Post by Twinpeaksgame »

At this point the only guy we need is Carel Struycken: IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN! :)