Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

Post by TheArm »

I still would rather just leave Twin Peaks as it is. It was like lightning in a bottle, for a hot pop culture minute, so very long ago now, and I just think it would be so, so hard to recapture that. Of course I'd be thrilled and would watch with baited breath, but I just can't imagine what would possibly fulfill my expectations at this point after all this time. I'm already excited and sort of apprehensive about the return of the nearly-as-genius Arrested Development, for that same reason. That show, like TP, was just so distinct and unique and wholly original when it was first on, can they really conjure up that magic all over again?

Plus, I really think a big reason Twin Peaks has stuck around for as long as it has is in fact because it ended on such a sudden, abstract, maddening note. It gave us, as Lynch would say, "room to dream." Just like how, when The Sopranos comes up in conversation, more often than not people still want to talk about that abrupt cut-to-black ending (and as we know, David Chase is a big TP fan). What I love about both shows' endings is that they give the impression that their respective worlds are still out there living on, just without a camera pointed at them. And as such, it has kept them alive long after the final credits rolled. I kinda love that about TP and I'm scared that a continuation might tarnish this and spoil its "legend," as it were (2008's long-awaited and dreadful X-Files sequel "I Want to Believe" comes to mind).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
SiderealPassing

Post by SiderealPassing »

The Sopranos didn't leave as many unanswered questions as Twin Peaks. That's my only issue.

The last couple of seasons of the X-Files weren't that great anyway from what I remember so it's not surprising that the film sequel bombed so hard (but I actually haven't seen it).
Mastershake
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mastershake »

David Lynch met with the cast and crew from Twin Peaks at some Orange County museum and said to Ray Wise that the town still exists, and they can still come back. Ray is dead but they'll figure something out.

WTF?
cart

Post by cart »

Yeah here we go again with the false hope that David Lynch will/may revisit TP according to Ray Wise's interview here.

Code: Select all

http://www.ronpurtee.com/2013/05/episode-76-ray-wise.html
Cherry Pie

Post by Cherry Pie »

Hello, I’m new to World of Blue (kudos on the page, it is great!)

A couple of weeks ago I decided to watch Twin Peaks again (last time I watched it I was in High School). I must say it has me spellbound all over again. I got the Golden Box Set, and I found out there were only two seasons—the way they broke it down in Spain, where I’m from, I was convinced there were three (this last one kind of a disappointment to me back then). Well, my perception on the second half of the second season (as I recognize it now) hasn't changed.

Given the way the show went downhill after the Big Question was answered, I would've rather just have the show ended after Truman says something along the lines: “If BOB is an evil entity, and he got away, where is BOB now?” (Cut to the owl flying out of the shining light in the woods). It would have been a much more dignified ending for this wonderful show.

Having said that, I hate, hate, hhhhhhate, the cliffhanger on which the show ended. I have nothing against open endings, in fact the one suggested above would have been a perfect one. This is why I wouldn't be opposed to a “reboot” of the show.

I know the 3rd season rumor has been debunked (read about it here, thanks for the heartache ;P). But a “25 years later” re-birth can be done in many ways. It could be a movie, a mini-series, a short Netflix project (however that works), a spin-off under a different name (but with the same feel)… Heck! Take it to the stage and perform it in a theater!

I just think I’m not alone in that need to get proper closure to this captivating story. And, quite honestly, after thinking about it for a while, I believe the most satisfying, oddly enough, would be in novel form--yes, the amazing music and copper tones would be missing, but...

I believe Mark Frost has written some books, no?? ;-)
~ "This must be where pies go when they die..." - Special Agent D. Cooper ~
Rushing

Post by Rushing »

Hello. Have been waiting a while to be able to have my account validated and be able to talk a bit about Twin Peaks and the possibility of the series returning. I've read through the pages of ideas and rumors and there is a lot to take in and wonder about. I would have to agree with a lot of the ideas on this forum, but knowing how Lynch is about letting people work with him and sharing ideas; may not real flow with him. David Lynch is really an odd and brilliant individual who likes to do things his way. Although, I wonder what Frost and Lynch would do now, knowing that some of the cast members are no more. If they do bring the show back I can only assume they will present new characters and possibly the latest actors/ actresses. A part of me hopes that they do and do not bring big celebrities into the show. That is, if they ever actually decide to bring it back. I will agree that the possibility that Lynch will not continue the series is a high probability. It would be really difficult to obtain that same majestic nature that was there decades ago.

Now, I recently watched this television show and the movie this year and I am still thinking about it often. I was born when it started, but to come to an understanding that there's been a 20/ 21 year wait for something to possibly happening is sort of maddening. I'm not even a long time fan and I was obsessively frustrated. But that last major and important scene, in the Black Lodge, was just really complex and fascinating. It left me with a lot of questions with no answers or a hypothesis as to where things go and what some of it meant. I'm still reading through some of the other threads on this forum and will probably find some answers. But, like I have mentioned before, there is so much to take in.

I am very glad that I was able to find this forum in hopes to find some closure or to know that there are others who understand and feel the same way about Twin Peaks. Granted, I'm still pretty new to things, but I'm sure to be caught up to speed with things. Thank you for reading this and allowing me to write it out in something that matters. Hopefully the whole "25 years" scenario happens and things will make sense, again.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Deleted

Post by Kmkmiller »

Deleted
Last edited by Kmkmiller on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

KMK hit it right on the head. The people who inflate these rumors will at least enjoy more hits and likes on their sites. IMO it is cheap and silly to spread false headlines and unfounded hearsay as fact. The problem with the internet is anyone can say whatever they want with no basis or repercussions.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It was kind of fun at first. But as soon as that guy admitted to making up the initial rumor, I just thought, does he think he's going to get the series on the air by starting a bunch of rumors?

The internet is sometimes like a child that ate way too much sugar.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

It would be kind of hilarious if Ray Wise was intentionally spreading misinformation about TP coming back just to be a shit. :lol:
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

Post by Coffee »

Firstly ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE.

I originally created this topic back in 2013. Crazy how far we've come since then. Just look at the smorgasbord of opinions, ideas & excitement within the messages here. I wonder how close to the mark we were back then? Now we stand on the edge of the cliff as the next chapter hurtles towards us. What exciting times -- how far we've come and how much our little community has grown (and will continue to grow).

We've done it folks. Two thumbs up to us all and everyone involved in The Return.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Wondering about that NBC rumor...
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Jerry Horne wrote:It was kind of fun at first. But as soon as that guy admitted to making up the initial rumor, I just thought, does he think he's going to get the series on the air by starting a bunch of rumors?

The internet is sometimes like a child that ate way too much sugar.
Look closer at that child, it sometimes turns out to be Satan himself dancing under a strobe to a peculiar tune and he knows very well what he's doing and what happens in our lives is just an aberration of his slightest move.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

January 2013:
Jerry Horne wrote:I remember last year, Mark and David gave away some double signed copies of Laura Palmer's Secret Diary.

I always wondered what brought them together for that? Talking about ideas?
I'M BRILLIANT!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

When it comes to Twin Peaks, paying attention to every little detail certainly pays off :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."