See You In 25 Years

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Re: See You In 25 Years

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Si78 wrote:Just looking at the timing and what we know, it's entirely possible that Jerry Horne (with help from GeekBoy's rumor) caused the revival.

2011. David and Mark having lunch. Mark: Someone on twitter asked if we're bring back TP. It's close to 25 years. David: Hmmm. :lol: Well done!
I forgot I ever mentioned that rumor here, four years ago. I guess I can say it now; the person who told me was a good friend who sat on the board at Disney (or more to the point, was the representative of someone on the board who was important who was too ill to attend meetings) He gave me all the insider information regarding ABC's desire for more Twin Peaks. I never got too much detail from him about it, but he always told me that Peaks would definitely be back sooner rather than later. I kind of scoffed at him, telling him Lynch would never do it, but it turns out he was right in the end. He passed away a year and a half ago, but sometimes I can still hear him in my head saying "told ya."
Ygdrasel
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ygdrasel »

underthefan wrote:Anything he could come up with today, in whatever form, would never be able to live up to the original and it would thus inevitably be a disappointment...
Setting aside the rest of that for now, this part in particular just reads like a nostalgia filter. We should all avoid that. :P
Twin Peaks has layers, man. Twin Peaks is an onion. 8)
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Ygdrasel wrote:wussing up all our bad guys with mostly-terrible 'tragic' backstories that don't even succeed in creating any sympathy (in media - Maleficent, Dracula, etcetera...), I still want BOB or the Lodge to win out at season three's end.
Yeah, I agree. Dracula was a guy whose cruelty is legendary: a man who impaled living people on stakes, who chopped off people's heads and boiled them in kettles.

I think what freaks out some modern audiences with many of Lynch's bad guys is that they're really monsters. There's no case of 'Frank's a psychopathic rapist, but it's not his fault, because his mommy took away his favourite baseball when he was 11! Diddums!'

While Lynch deals with good and evil and the moral ambiguity in between, there isn't quite the moral equivalence you see nowadays; there's an old-school belief that good and evil exist, and that it's the job of good people to to fight bad people and save the people who are falling away from good into evil, giving them some kind of redemption. It's actually quite refreshing.
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

SMILLSOID wrote:Possibly. But I've heard strong rumours of a new Twin Peaks TV series.
This guy, right here folks!
Hang loose, Houlies
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

Showtime! I called it back in 2011!
Chester Desmond wrote:I joined this forum just to chime in on this.

I sincerely hope Twin Peaks is revived, it's a testament to the strength of the characters and indeed their creators that we are still thinking about them 21 years later. Few Television programs have rivaled Twin Peaks, only X-FIles and LOST come to mind, and they certainly weren't better.

I think David Lynch's recent proclivity to self financing and distributing could breathe new life into the franchise. I do not know to what extent CBS Paramount, or ABC "own" the characters or if it's just rights to footage they own. I don't know if it feasible... I hope that it is.

A serialized return to Twin Peaks could be accommodated by premium television service providers like Showtime, HBO, or AMC.

Certainly the actors would be on board, none of them are really involved in anything that would prohibit a reunion. The characters they portrayed were certainly their most memorable, with the exception David Duchovny's Fox Mulder character.

With the mythology of the show being so bizarre and vigorous there's no reason why new characters could not be introduced as well. The only impedance I could see is Frank Silva's death because he was after all the non-corporeal embodiment of BOB. The people who see BOB are the gifted and damned... so many have see him in that form that it would be difficult to change the form. I guess another actor could portray BOB, just as Moria Kelly portrayed Donna in Fire Walk With Me.

Just throwing this out there: there are nearly two hundred thousand "likes" for the Twin Peaks page on Facebook, imagine if every one of those people wrote and mailed a letter to David Lynch asking him to bring back Twin Peaks, I think it would have an impact. Even a web based only series would be something.
Hang loose, Houlies
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

10 years.
5 years.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Ygdrasel wrote: Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 pm
underthefan wrote:Anything he could come up with today, in whatever form, would never be able to live up to the original and it would thus inevitably be a disappointment...
Setting aside the rest of that for now, this part in particular just reads like a nostalgia filter. We should all avoid that. :P
Ha! I don't even remember saying this but I will right now officially eat crow and admit that I was 100% unequivocally and totally wrong on this point. The Return was absolutely amazing and I'm beyond thrilled we got it. I'm open to whatever future holds in store, whether that's a completely new Lynch series or Season 4. :D
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

underthefan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:24 am Ha! I don't even remember saying this but I will right now officially eat crow and admit that I was 100% unequivocally and totally wrong on this point. The Return was absolutely amazing and I'm beyond thrilled we got it. I'm open to whatever future holds in store, whether that's a completely new Lynch series or Season 4. :D
I'm so glad you say this! I was just going through this thread, read your comments, and wondered what you would have said about The Return. Since this thread is 10 years old, I didn't expect to learn about your impressions at all! :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Thank you, Stavrogyn! The truth is I was a pretty active member back in the day, especially during The Return anticipation days, but then when the show finally came out, to be perfectly honest I was kinda taken aback by what seemed to me an overwhelmingly negative reaction on the board (the profoundly disappointed group, etc.) that I decided to take a step back for a bit and then ended up never going back. But now that Lynch's new project is on the horizon, I've been back lurking around and when I saw this old post of mine, I was kinda appalled lol and decided to finally post again! Will post my thoughts on the possibility of S4 in the other thread next. :)