Twin Peaks Themed Psych Episode

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Themed Psych Episode

Post by Audrey Horne »

great list. i'll rewatch this weekend.

other things off the top of my head.

Maudette likes "to dance all night long."
She has a long tracking shot on her legs walking focusing on her shoes. Lead guy comments, "Nice shoes."
Has a cherry stem tattoo.
Long shot -but is having an affair with a teenager.
Spots the Audrey do (which Sherilyn had cut for the August fest)

Bobby in the tag scene wears Bobby's pilot outfit -white thermal under a red t-shirt.
Sheriff is Andrew Jackson versus Harry Truman.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Obvious one - "Shelly" is sometimes a nickname for women named Michelle.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

You can now purchase 'Dual Spires' on iTunes in HD.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

dugpa wrote:Obvious one - "Shelly" is sometimes a nickname for women named Michelle.
Ha - not obvious enough to thick people like me who didn't pick up on that. Duh! And Roday did say he wanted Amick for that role, and Ontkean for the sheriff, but couldn't get either. Kinda cool to see von Dohlen & Lively though, I have to admit (since Amick's still pretty visible on TV). Michael Ontkean seems to have fallen off the face of the earth (or is just very happy keeping to himself in Hawaii, Jacoby-style).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Exy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Exy »

my socks are on fire wrote:Sorry, not me. That extra eight minutes of footage is already deleted from my DVR with the rest of it. I feel used.

It wasn't even funny, maybe barely in a nudge, nudge sorta way with the TP in-jokes/references. Couldn't they have fun with Sheryl Lee a bit - maybe mix in Dr. Jacoby with her character since she was the shrink too? She was so stiff. At least Sherilyn had some spunk going on. Harold as the sheriff - whatever.

Let get the references out of the way and forget this ever happened. I admire your enthusiasm and love of all things TP Mr. Roday, but today you're my little Nicky.
I tend to agree...

I had not seen an episode of "Psych" before but I knew Dule Hill from "The West Wing" and had held the opinion that he would only be associated with a series of quality and when I learnt that there was going to be a 20th Anniversary 'Twin Peaks' inspired episode I was even more convinced that I was going to love this show - how wrong could I be?!

I found the James Roday character Shawn to be very one dimensional and given that this was the only episode I've seen I soon gathered his character was not really psychic but just had a heightened sense of observation. How that has been spun out for 5 series I can't fathom, and Hill's character fared little better although as an actor I think he is comparatively more gifted than the wooden Roday.

So, as a series I don't think I could watch it regularly and as a 'Twin Peaks' homage it ticked all the right boxes and Sherilyn Fenn is particularly entertaining in her role, that said though the plot and outcome were disappointing in fact all I kept thinking was 'Twin Peaks' was better than this, it was infinitely better than this and was it really 20 years ago? Have things deteriorated so much in 20 years - well no, cos "The West Wing" was superb and Dule Hill was great in it and now he's in this but this is just not very good.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I finally managed to catch this online, and I had a great time watching. I have never seen Psych before and aside from a couple of witty lines, it has nothing to draw me in for another episode. However, as a fun celebration of Twin Peaks for the fans, by the fans.. it was great and I dorked out!

Shame Ontkean and Amick were unavailable, I would have liked to have seen them in the role of Sheriff and Michelle. von Doehlen and Lively were great (especially the former) but the best parts of this episode were those in which we see the old TP actors interacting with their former 'partners' or 'friends'. Come to think of it, I'm not sure we had enough of that! We definitely didn't see enough Catherine Coulson!

Sherilyn Fenn stole the show. You know, I have read her blog.. and I follow her on twitter (and have been lucky enough to tweet with her a couple of times) and she always comes across as lacking in self-confidence. I really have no idea why. She absolutely stood out in that episode and made me wish that Lynch would use her in one of his films. She's as good as she ever was and Lynch insinuated that Audrey had a post-TP story.

Overall, it was fun, witty and a nice little tribute. It actually showed the value of Lynch's direction and writing. Despite all the references, the environment and the original actors... that 'atmosphere' was most certainly absent.

Just another reference:

-Right at the end, as Shawn is walking out of the diner we see the customers doing various TP-like things (as previously mentioned). However, at this point Bob (Dana) has finished doing his 'Bobby Briggs' dance and is clutching at what appears to be a menu. The way in which he holds it out in front of him and sways is a direct copy of Leland holding Laura's prom photo and dancing with it whilst crying. I like to think that Dana might have added this in, right at the end.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I finally got to watch it on dvr and mostly laughed. Everybody was great, and I agree with everyone else that Sherilyn (loved the cherry references and her cute costume and attitude) and Dana were probably the best, as well as Ray Wise. Sheryl Lee seemed a little stiff, but maybe that was how she was supposed to play it. I loved the Julee Cruise songs and the fascination with pie and cider!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
B_M

Post by B_M »

Well, I have mixed feelings about the episode. It was fun to watch, but I think they made a spoof rather than a tribute. I haven't watched 'Psych', but it definitely seems to have a light and comedic feel, so I assume it would be impossible to change the mood drastically. The problem was to create a mix that would please both TP fans and Psych viewers.

The other problem are the characters and do we want them to be as they were in the original show, or do we want something different. In my opinion none of the guest stars' characters was like the original TP character (well some of them couldn't just reprise their roles - like Ray Wise who appeared in 'Psych' earlier). There were just smaller or larger references not necessarily to the specific character that person played in TP - like Fenn's concern about cherry (for Audrey it was just an improvised trick to impress Blackie, as she wanted to migrate rules from highschool to adult world), Ashbrooks' grief resembling Leland's behaviour or Sheryl Lee's multiple specializations. I actually liked it that way.

I think the best thing about the episode was not the episode itself, but the reuniting of several cast members after so many years. Really, I'd love to see the moment of their meeting more than an episode itself.

Some not mentioned, not-so-obvious, might-be references:
- in TP Harold (Lenny von Dohlen) hung himself. Here, he hung someone else ( :,( ).
- I actually find the long shot of Sherilyn Fenn's legs a reference to "Boxing Helena" (there were several shots done in that manner). The comment "Nice shoes" obviously suggests saddle-shoes reference, but oh well.
- Jack character seems to be some sort of conjunction of Pete Martell and James Hurley.
- Randy snuck up behind Jack and took him out, just like the mysterious masked man (Leland) stunned Jacoby.
- the Randy on a couch with a necklace crying scene reminds me of dr Jacoby and his coconut scene.
- Randy's tendency to forget about his girlfriends is just like Bobby's (Paula, Maudette and his trying to make a pass at the "Psych" character = Laura, Shelly and Bobby's efforts to pick up Audrey).
- Paula faked her death just like Catherine Martell (well, she didn't dress up as a japanese businessman - or did she?).
- the shot of Maudette's head between the books is very similar to the one from TP, when Norma sees Hank's head between some diner stuff lying on the shelf.
- "Where can we find the proprietors of this fine establishment" = "Miss Horne, unless I miss my guess, your father is Benjamin Horne, the owner of this fine establishment.".
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

Damn, i have totally missed this, because i live in finland, i have to download this from the net. I'll definitely check this tomorrow, amazing stuff!

I'm reading comments from youtube and there seems to be many Psych watchers who havent seen any Twin Peaks episodes, so this was a nice way to introduce twin peaks for young people who haven't experienced the magnificent Twin Peaks.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Finally watched this episode!

Sherylin Fenn stole the whole episode. I enjoyed, but something wasn't right with this episode. I just didn't feel it as much as I expected.

References:
- Nobody mentioned Randy's jacket. It's in different colors "but doesn't it looks almost exactly like" TP's School Jacket? ;-)
modus operandi

Post by modus operandi »

There was a "Twin Peaks window" (the bright pink ones with nothing in them) in at least one shot.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

And one more: When Sherrif ask "Whoooo.. will it be (a Cinamon King)?" The folks repeat's "Who-who?" like an owl's voice". LOL :lol:
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

Just found this on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0Z2GuWsOI
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Did David Lynch or Mark Frost ever happen to mention this "Psych" tribute in interviews, or on Twitter or anything? I'd love to know what they thought of it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just rewatched this. I saw it back in the day and remember reading about it on here, but for some reason I don't seem to have commented on the thread then. Unless there was another one? Lol at the comment a few pages back that said seeing how they looked in this it wouldn't be possible to do a continuation in 2010 as it wouldn't feel the same, yet one happened even later than that, in 2017.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.