Twin Peaks Themed Psych Episode

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Themed Psych Episode

Post by missoulamt »

I hope they don't do it in a too ironic way...
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I think they are going to be very playful with the tribute. If you haven't watched an episode before, I would suggest that you do so you know going in what to expect. If you go in expecting a serious Twin Peaks tribute, I'm guessing you will be disappointed, but if you go in expecting a tongue in cheek nod to Twin Peaks, I think you will enjoy it.
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

One thing I realise when looking at these stills is that it would be impossible to do a continuation of the show. The way they look now etc. It would just feel wrong. :)

It's just too bad that it seems unlikely that the deleted FWWM scenes will ever see the light of day, as that's the only stuff left in the vaults I guess.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I don't know. I think it is sad that Frost and Lynch have been given several opportunities over the years to pick things up as either a movie or series of movies and have not shown interest. Strangely, when I saw the photo of the girl wrapped in plastic and the her father holding her above, I thought it was Ray Wise at first.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Something I'm also excited about is that PSYCH has a pretty loyal following of its own, so I just think it's great that hopefully the tribute episode will inspire its fans to check out (and fall in love with) the real thing! Really looking forward to this, and just happy to see the show's influence being so "vibrant" right now in pop culture.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Got to get a preview of the Episode tonight. It is silly and fun and Sherilyn steals the show during her scenes. The end was the best part and features the Julee Cruise song Kool Kat Walk. If you are a Psych fan you will probably dig it.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Attention all LA fans:

http://www.paleycenter.org/2010-fall-ps ... -gathering

This year has really been an embarrassment of riches!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great scoop! I hope whomever is going will take some pictures!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Transcript to a press conference with Lee and Roday here:

http://dugpa.com/2010/11/22/sheryl-lee- ... s-tribute/
G42
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42 »

So I was there tonight, and it was AWESOME. Without any spoilers, here's my thoughts/experience tonight!

It was AMAZING. The Psych episode was a real joy to watch. They perfectly captured the mood and ambience of Twin Peaks while gently spoofing it as well...I don't want to give anything away, but trust me when I say that any fan of Twin Peaks will absolutely LOVE this episode.

In attendance tonight was Ray Wise, Sheryl Lee, Catherine Coulson, Lenny Von Dohen, and Robin Lively. Unfortunately Dana Ashbrook wasn't there, as he was sick, but still, it was sort of unbelievable to see so many Twin Peaks actors all at once! Their chemistry and obvious feelings of happiness towards each other and the show's legacy was real sweet to see.
And I got to ask Ray Wise a question! I asked him about how hard it must have been to go back and act out the darkest parts of Leland Palmer in FWWM, as he had initially felt so nervous and appalled at being the killer in the series. He said that it was hard, and a real weird sort of trip to go back there and see how everyone ended up where they were in the series. I also asked him, and them all sort of, if they could really band together to pressure Lynch into releasing the deleted scenes finally! He said he was pretty sure David has them all still, but that, of course, it's all tangled up in the french film company owning it and such. He stated that the first cut was 5 hours (perhaps a mismemory? i heard 3 before and that seems a bit more realistic?) and he said he recalled shooting a lot of great scenes that weren't in the final film. He turned towards Sheryl for agreement here and she certainly agreed!

The most intense thing though is that when Ray Wise responds to a question he stares directly back at the asker. So for the entirety of his response, 'LELAND PALMER' stared directly into my eyes. This was as exciting as it was kind of scary!!! And 'LAURA PALMER' was sitting right next to him and staring and smiling at me as well.

BEST EPIC SURREAL TWIN PEAKS MOMENT I COULD HAVE EVER ASKED FOR.

So yeah, a very cool night and a very cool episode!

(Also it was said that the director's cut of this episode is another 6 and a half minutes longer than the already longer than usual psych episode and will be on the 5th season dvd set!)
You must follow the Walrus
to the sea, for the sea
to follow the Walrus to you
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Indeed, a really great night. The episode is A LOT of fun, especially if you're a hardcore TP fan. The little TP references are so clever and come at you so quickly that I'm looking forward to rewatching it when it airs this week just to make sure I didn't miss anything. There is the usual, expected glut of coffee & pie jokes, but there are also jokes and references that only hardcore fans will get, like references to Windom Earle, Deputy Hawk, the Giant, Mayor Milford, long eerie shots of ceiling fans, the music in general, the copious amounts of dramatic crying, etc. It should be said that it is very much a Psych episode, so don't go in expecting a "lost episode" of Twin Peaks; it's all very light and breezy, but clearly made with A LOT of love and respect for the source material.

And the Q&A afterwards was a lot of fun, particularly the great stories that they told about working with David. Nothing new and that we haven't already heard before (how BOB was created, how Ray Wise was told he was the killer, how Lynch created the Log Lady, etc.), but they seemed to have a lot of fun reflecting. Honestly, I think Ray pretty much owned the evening and did most of the talking and was absolutely hilarious, though Catherine Coulson also had a lot to say. Also very clear what a big fan James Roday is, as I think he must have said 4 or 5 times that it was the best show in television history. At one point, the moderator asked Roday if he thought that, in 20 years time, they'd be doing a similar type event for his show, and he basically said "with all due respect to my colleagues, probably not."

All in all, another great TP 20th anniversary event!

For those that want more details, the Futon Critic tweeted live from the event, which you can find here: http://twitter.com/#!/thefutoncritic

And here are some pics...

Last edited by TheArm on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Awesome pictures! Thank you!
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Thanks for the recaps! I'm totally sad that I couldn't make this or the UK Fest, but the reviews of both have helped ease the pain. :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
psych12.jpg
psych12.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 12156 times