Twin Peaks Themed Psych Episode

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Themed Psych Episode

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

The New York Times review...

A Series Homage Lovingly Wrapped in Plastic
By MIKE HALE
Published: November 30, 2010

By 11 p.m. on Wednesday (10 p.m., Central), the people who catalog such things will have already ferreted out and posted the many homages to "Twin Peaks"in "Dual Spires,"the new episode of "Psych"on USA that will have just ended.

The allusions appear nearly nonstop, from the obvious "” a girl's body wrapped in plastic, a sheriff named after an American president, a damn fine cup of cider "” to the slightly more subtle, like silent drape runners, the letter J and Chris Isaak's voice on the soundtrack.

"Psych,"a resolutely silly comedy-mystery starring James Roday as a fake-psychic police consultant, makes a practice of referring to old movies and television shows, and has frequently joked about "Twin Peaks."But "Dual Spires"goes past affection to obsession, which seems appropriate when you're saluting one of the weirdest television series ever to survive for 30 episodes in prime time.

Mr. Roday and Dulé Hill, as the crime fighters Shawn and Gus, travel to the strange town of Dual Spires and are caught up in the mystery of who killed Paula Merral. (The name is an anagram of Laura Palmer, the dead girl of "Twin Peaks.") The "Psych"opening has been redone in somber "Twin Peaks"style, with images from Southern California rather than the Pacific Northwest "” a seagull replaces the thrush "” and the "Psych"theme song has been rerecorded by Julee Cruise, the chanteuse of the "Twin Peaks"roadhouse.

A clutch of "Twin Peaks"actors, including regulars like Ray Wise, Sheryl Lee, Sherilyn Fenn and Dana Ashbrook, has been reunited for "Dual Spires,"and the episode's best moments involve their spoofing the parts that made them famous. In one moment that's actually spooky "” something you don't expect from the jokey, often tinny "Psych""” the camera pans up from the face of Paula Merral to the face of the coroner, and it's Ms. Lee, the original Laura Palmer, in effect looking down at her own corpse.

It might seem like a long way down from "Twin Peaks"to "Psych,"and it's a little irritating how "Dual Spires"milks laughs from the overwrought reactions of the townspeople to Paula's death. While it may strike some contemporary viewers as hokey, not many things on television have been as brilliantly constructed or portrayed as the crescendo of grief in the "Twin Peaks"pilot.

"Twin Peaks"expands in the memory, however; it's easy to forget that the atmosphere of dreamy menace and the pitch-perfect sendup of 1950s-'60s soap opera "” "Peyton Place"in the cocaine age "” were largely absent after the two-hour pilot directed by David Lynch, who created the series with Mark Frost. By Episode 3 the weirdness had set in, that supernatural-surreal vaudeville that defined the show while dragging it down; Mr. Lynch would perfect it later in the underrated film "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me"and particularly in "Mulholland Drive."

The "Psych"episode, billed as a 20th-anniversary tribute, comes 20 years to the day after the 16th episode of "Twin Peaks"(17th, if you count the pilot). That was the one that answered the question of who killed Laura Palmer, after which there was really no reason to keep watching. Someone involved with "Psych"was watching, though: "Dual Spires"includes references to really obscure, late-second-season stuff like Windom Earle and the Black Lodge.

Tribute episodes have some value for gluttonous fans and idea-starved writers "” witness the recent elaborate salutes by "Castle"and "Supernatural,"just days apart, to "The X Files,"the best American television show of the 1990s and one that's hard to imagine without the previous existence of "Twin Peaks."The best thing about "Dual Spires"would be for it to drive viewers back to the "Twin Peaks"pilot, which is available from iTunes and on the "Definitive Gold Box Edition"DVD set. (Other Season 1 DVD packages do not include the pilot.) It's the only way really to appreciate the fleeting scene in "Dual Spires"of a woman (Catherine Coulson, as it happens) carrying a log.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

Roomservice...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

E! Online has a great feature on the episode, along with video interviews from the Paley Center event with Sheryl, Catherine, Ray and James Roday.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... peaks.html

And Entertainment Weekly interviewed James Roday about the making of the episode:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/01/james ... interview/

And Capital (NYC) has a great feature on Dana Ashbrook and TP:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/c ... phenomenon
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks to everybody for posting the articles and youtube links. I have to wait until the weekend to watch a dvr of the show.
Go have some Cinnamon Cider!!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I was really impressed with 'Dual Spires'! Sherilyn was awesome and Ray was a class act as always. That final scene was incredible :)

Anyone brave enough to type out a masterlist of all the references?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Gosh, Jerry -there were so many I stopped counting. But I'm sure I'll rewatch and I'll brave it and make a list.

This was a lot of fun. I don't think I'm sold on the show though to really want to follow it. I'm biased, but I thought Wise and Fenn stole the show. Wise must be a recurring character, and frankly they should use him as much as possible.

but this is a must see for any Peaks fan. They all had a lot of fun, and everyone looks great.

In terms of the story, I really wasn't following it that closely, and don't think it matters. and nothing surprised me -I figure out who the killer would be (well, partly) just with the nature of the theme. And the other person I thought they would make it be died which was spoiled in the production stills -but it was more about the inside jokes and the homage.
my socks are on fire

Post by my socks are on fire »

Sorry, not me. That extra eight minutes of footage is already deleted from my DVR with the rest of it. I feel used.

It wasn't even funny, maybe barely in a nudge, nudge sorta way with the TP in-jokes/references. Couldn't they have fun with Sheryl Lee a bit - maybe mix in Dr. Jacoby with her character since she was the shrink too? She was so stiff. At least Sherilyn had some spunk going on. Harold as the sheriff - whatever.

Let get the references out of the way and forget this ever happened. I admire your enthusiasm and love of all things TP Mr. Roday, but today you're my little Nicky.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

That was an incredibly fun episode! I can't believe how many references were packed in there. I am so glad for this site or I would have never known about the episode.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

The return of Bobby Briggs: Dana Ashbrook and the 'Twin Peaks Phenomenon"It's happening again." By Joe Pompeo

Dana Ashbrook moved to New York in the summer of 2007. The first time someone here recognized him was about a month ago.

It was a brisk afternoon in early November, and Ashbrook was at the New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases on East 17th Street with his girlfriend, Kate Rogal. They volunteer at the hospital once a week with Goose, a 4-year-old Shepherd-Collie mutt they rescued off the streets of Brooklyn. On this particular Wednesday, Goose was doing a pain clinic with about half a dozen middle-aged patients for whom the affection of a friendly canine helps alleviate chronic aches and fatigue. As they took turns running their fingers through Goose's soft grey fur, they made small talk with her owners. Someone asked the couple what they did for a living.

"We're actors,"said Rogal. Only then did the light bulb switch on in the mind of a female stroke survivor with curly brown hair whom Ashbrook and Rogal had met on several previous occasions. Here, she realized, was the gray-haired, 43-year-old version of the lanky, angst-ridden high-school football star Bobby Briggs, boyfriend of homecoming queen Laura Palmer until she washed ashore a rocky beach one cold February morning, dead and wrapped in plastic, in the pilot episode of David Lynch's game-changing network television series, "Twin Peaks." She jumped out of her seat and screamed: "BOBBYYYYYYYY!"

"I haven't seen anyone react like that for seriously, like, a looong time,"said Ashbrook, who called the woman "sweet, and brilliant," the following Friday over beers at The Paris Café, an old South Street Seaport watering hole in the footprint of the Brooklyn Bridge. He lives in an apartment nearby with Rogal, who is the reason Ashbrook left L.A. after more than 20 years.

"Twin Peaks fans,"he continued, "it's a hardcore group of people."

BUT 20 YEARS AFTER THE SHOW BEGAN, MANY of the fans on whom it left the strongest impressions are just making their way in television, and Bobby Briggs has his hardcore fans in TV-land, too. Like the actor James Roday, star of USA network crime-dramedy "Psych," which is one of the reasons tonight's episode is an homage to the show. The episode, Dual Spires, is meant to evoke the story, imagery and icons of the original show, capping a year's worth of tributes to a series whose 20th anniversary has inspired festivals and marathon screenings from London to Boston to Seattle.

Long story short, Roday met Ashbrook in 1999 on the set of a short-lived Fox series they were both in. Ashbrook tells it like this: Roday knocked on the door of Ashbrook's trailer one day with an invitation to watch the Lakers game back in his own. There, Roday laid it all out. "He was like, "˜Dude, I watched "Twin Peaks" like crazy when I was in junior high. I watched it every day. I know every episode.' He was a super fan. It was ridiculous! So of course we became best friends."(Roday gave a similar account recently to the website Collider: "I basically stalked him into becoming my friend.")

"Psych"'s ode is a high school reunion of sorts for the eight original "Twin Peaks" cast members who appear as guest stars, including mainstays like Ashbrook, Sheryl Lee (who played both Laura Palmer and her near-identical cousin, Maddy), Ray Wise (Laura's sing-songy father, Leland Palmer) Sherilyn Fenn (the sneaky and saddle-shoed Audrey Horne) and Catherine Coulson (a k a the Log Lady). The episode was filmed over 10 days in Vancouver this past September. It was just like old times except everyone had an extra 20 years on them, Ashbrook said. They went out drinking every night and reminisced.

"It made me very nostalgic,"he said, adding of all the wonky trivia packed into the episode itself: "It's kind of like a "˜Where's Waldo' of 'Twin Peaks.'"

Above: What it looked like to watch ABC promote the strangest show on television.

REWIND TO MAY 7, 1990: NEW YORK MAGAZINE RAN A COVER story by John Leonard exploring "The Quirky Allure of Twin Peaks."

A brainchild of coffee-guzzling cult director David Lynch and author-producer Mark Frost, "Twin Peaks" had only been on for about a month, but here was a show so ineffably sinister and bizarre it almost seemed a fluke that ABC had actually picked it up. At times sentimental, often funny, always surreal, the series was an Americana-drenched Pacific Northwest murder mystery whose classification seemed to oscillate between soap opera, black comedy and experimental horror film. People had never seen anything like it, at least not on TV. "In Cambridge, Massachusetts, in Madison, Wisconsin, and in Berkeley, California,"Leonard wrote, "there are Twin Peaks watching parties every Thursday night, after which Deconstruction."

But the fascination was not limited to college towns. Here in New York, as Leonard's piece documents, the intelligentsia would dissect the show's every peculiarity at the conclusion of each episode. After the third"”which aired on April 19, 1990, and which introduced one of the series' most memorable characters, a dwarf who talked backwards and danced worm-like to haunting lounge music"”Elizabeth Pochoda, then books editor at Entertainment Weekly, and Andrew Kopkind, the radical journalist, discussed their mutual obsession during a noon lunch. "It's a warm bath,"Pochoda said of the show. "I'm on an intellectual and moral vacation."Meanwhile, over at CBS, a coterie of "Twin Peaks" fans hovered around a large "tree"graphic that was designed to track the incestuous and ever-tangling web of idiosyncratic characters central to the storyline. ("Why aren't people at CBS gathering on Friday mornings to talk about Valerie Bertinelli?,"Leonard wondered.) And feminist scribe Jane O'Reilly took a stroll through Central Park, "where the dog-walkers,"she told Leonard, "were extremely upset about the way parents treat their children in the Pacific Northwest, as if Twin Peaks were their own hometown, as if something strange were always happening to them in the woods."

It can be hard to remember now that in April of 1990, premium cable stations were mostly about showing boxing matches and endless reruns of movies like Broadcast News. There were dramas that everyone watched, guiltily. But the notion of a challenging art-house style drama unfolding on network television between ads for cars and dogfood in primetime was positively shocking. The domination of the water-coolers at the cool-kid offices of advertising agencies, fashion houses, magazines and television stations by competitive television-recap sessions hadn't yet taken effect, really. And of course, this was well before the obsessive, S.E.O. maximized TV-recapping of the Blog Era.

Of course it was not to last. After 30 episodes, two seasons, two Emmys, and one fatal ratings-collapse, "Twin Peaks" went off the air in June of 1991. Today, it's all box-set nostalgia and Netflix queues. (The full series was made available on DVD for the first time in October 2007.)

In the two intervening decades since the show's creation, there's been no shortage of boundary-pushing prime time dramas for viewers to fall in and out of love with. (That one about the plane-crash survivors stranded on a strange tropical island, for instance, is perhaps the closest the small screen has come to replicating its network predecessor's viral mystique.) But for the devoted, there never has been, and probably never again will be, anything else quite like "Twin Peaks."

"'Twin Peaks' sticks in our memories because it represents a cultural or historical moment that's now lost,"said Richard Dienst, an English professor at Rutgers who's studied and written about the show. "Was it just the vogue of the Pacific Northwest? Or was it the idea that television could be genuinely innovative? There was something about "Twin Peaks" that seemed to strike a new compromise between cinema and television. It looked different somehow. I don't think you can say the same about 'Lost' or 'Buffy,' or any of the HBO series."

Lynch himself can't quite explain the enduring phenomenon.

"We had zero thought that this thing would travel so well around the world,"he told this reporter during a May 2008 interview in an Upper West Side hotel room. "Somehow there was something that was caught and appreciated by all different kinds of people. It was a magical thing that no one could have foreseen."

"'Twin Peaks' holds up,"Ashbrook said confidently. "People enjoy it today as much as they did 20 years ago. I think it's funny and interesting, and a lot different than anything else still. It's had an impact. Even young people watch it now on DVD. I feel like William Shatner talking about "Star Trek," but it's true. Young people are discovering it and it holds up. It was before cell phones! You watch the show, and there were no cell phones. People use landlines! It's peculiar."

BACK AT THE PARIS, BETWEEN SIPS OF BUD LITE, Ashbrook recalled his maiden visit to New York on May 4, 1990, right around the same time Leonard's New York piece came out. He was 22 and soaking up his first rays of fame as the initial suspect in Laura Palmer's impenetrable murder case. The previous day, Ashbrook's manager at the time, Dolores Robinson, got a tip that one of David Letterman's guests for the following night had canceled, so she tossed Ashbrook's name into the ring. Next thing they knew, the budding actor was on a red-eye to J.F.K. He checked into his hotel early that morning and slept most of the afternoon before a limo bound for 30 Rock picked him up.

"I got out,"said Ashbrook, "and I looked up at the building, and it was so tall that I started to fall backwards."He stood up, tilted his head toward the ceiling and arched his back to mimic gazing at a skyscraper. "The limo driver grabbed me and said, "˜Welcome to New York, dude.' It was kind of classic."He looked the part of a mid-90s cool kid on "Letterman," in an oversized short-sleeve button-down with crazy geometric patterns, a white T-shirt underneath, and black slacks. His hair, then bushy and brown, was styled in the popular McDonald's arch mushroom-cut of the day.

"I'm very lucky,"he told Letterman that night.

After the taping, Robinson took Ashbrook to the Hard Rock Cafe. "Which at that time was sooo cool,"he quipped. "It was like, the Hard Rock fucking Cafe! And I remember just sitting there, and Dolores, I remember her telling me, "˜This is the start.' And I was just like, "˜OK!'"

In a way, it was also the end. Twin Peaks, for better or for worse, was the high point of Ashbrook's career. There have been many parts since"”a recurring role on "Dawson's Creek" (2002), a cameo on "Law & Order: SVU" (2007); his regular spot on "Crash" (2009). Not to mention the various "little things"he always has going on, like the occasional short film, and a play by Amy Hartman that he and Rogal are trying to recruit Pulitzer Prize nominee Craig Lucas to direct. But at the end of the day, it was Bobby Briggs that the woman in the hospital recognized. Ashbrook has no illusions or qualms about this. "I never had high expectations going into Hollywood,"he said. "I went there just to work."

Hollywood is precisely where Ashbrook was supposed to be on Monday night. The Los Angeles hub of the Paley Center for Media was hosting "Psych! A Twin Peaks Gathering,"where it was rumored that David Lynch himself was going to make an appearance. (He didn't.) There was a screening of "Dual Spires"followed by a panel discussion with the cast members. But Ashbrook was in Pittsburgh, where he and Rogal had gone to visit her family for Thanksgiving. He had the flu.

"I felt bad,"he said. "We were all going to have dinner. But I just couldn't go."

Instead, he'll watch the "Psych" tribute for the first time tonight, same as all the super fans. But he trusts he'll like it.

"It's a love letter, not a spoof,"otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to do it, said Ashbrook. In fact, it's hard not to admire his directness about his career since "Twin Peaks," and his genuine love for what the show meant to him. There's no bitterness, no reality-show bait, here. "'Twin Peaks' is the one thing in my career that I can really look back on, that I really respect and love and honor as something that's different," he said. "The one thing that I can hang onto. I don't wanna fuck with that."
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

So here are all the references/in-jokes/whatnot I was able to spot (yes, I'm a dork). Did I miss anything?

- The episode opens on a chocolate bunny on Shawn's desk.
- The guys discuss a brand of silent window shades which were created in Washington state in the early '90s.
- Gus receives an anonymous email tip from "underthenail.com."
- The email directs the guys to a town called Dual Spires.
- The Dual Spires town newspaper is called "The Great Northern."
- The "Welcome to Dual Spires" sign.
- The town's mayor is a very old man not unlike Mayor Milford, and his name is Douglas Fir.
- The town has a Double R-esque diner called "The Sawmill Diner." It's named after the town sawmill which was destroyed in a fire (just like the Packard Sawmill).
- Dana Ashbrook plays a character named "Bob" (I'm guessing a wink at "Bobby" as opposed to "BOB," but could be either). And Robyn Lively is his wife Michelle.
- The piping hot apple cider and cinnamon pie at the diner are treated reverentially, in the way that TP's coffee & cherry pie were.
- The local sheriff (played by Lenny von Dohlen) also has a presidential name, "Andrew Jackson."
- The town mascot is a cinnamon owl. And the owl's name is "Leo."
- The moment where Gus inhales the monkey bread reminded me of Ben and Jerry with the baguettes.
- Shawn gives Gus the cover name of "Lodge Blackman."
- The dead girl's name is "Paula Merral," an anagram for Laura Palmer.
- When Paula's wrapped-in-plastic body is found on the riverbank - by Sheryl Lee no less - there is lots of copious, over-the-top weeping from all of the adults on the scene, including Gus (his crying was reminiscent of Andy). Throughout the episode, most of the Dual Spires citizens seem prone to massive amounts of crying. The way in which Dana Ashbrook weeps over her corpse is very Leland Palmer.
- The reveal of Paula's corpse, as the plastic is pulled back, is shot identical to when Sheriff Truman unwraps the plastic across Laura's face.
- The Dual Spires sheriff's department has a Native American deputy who also seems to act as a tracker. And his name is "Deputy Frost."
- The music that plays underneath the scene in which Paula's body is found is clearly a pastiche on "Laura Palmer's Theme" (both the ominous synths and the melodramatic piano part). And as with TP, it makes repeated appearances throughout the episode on the soundtrack.
- "Who killed Paula Merral?" becomes the big question everyone asks throughout the episode.
- The theme song/opening credits are given a thoroughly "Falling"-esque make-over, complete with Julee Cruise singing, and lots of shots of Southern California nature scenery, including a shot of a white horse.
- There is a massive doughnut spread at the Santa Barbara police station.
- When not using the "Laura Palmer's Theme" type music, the soundtrack employs a jazzier sound which is clearly meant to recall "Audrey's Dance" and "Freshly Squeezed."
- Sheryl Lee's character is named "Donna."
- Catherine Coulson makes a very brief appearance ostensibly as Dual Spires' equivalent to the Log Lady (in the credits she's "The Woman with Wood").
- There is a mynah bird waiting to be treated at the doctor's office.
- The bike chase is set to a Chris Isaak song.
- The bike chase includes going through a covered bridge, which is not dissimilar to Ronette's bridge.
- Sheriff Jackson's house looks extremely similar to the Palmer house.
- The house includes a stairway w/creepy ceiling fan, which are clearly shot to evoke the Palmer stairway/fan in the pilot.
- Here we have "lover's earrings" which were split between Paula and her boyfriend Randy, instead of a divided heart necklace.
- When Randy curls up on the couch and cries, it reminded me of the shot of Bobby on Jacoby's couch.
- Sherilyn Fenn plays sexy librarian "Maudette Hornsby." Maudette has a big cherry fixation.
- The library includes a book by "Earl Wyndam."
- The old guy in the diner sitting at the counter acts in a very similar manner to "Senor Droolcup."
- The Parkers' house includes a prom photo of Paula on their mantelpiece, complete with a tiara and with her head tilted exactly at the same angle as Laura's prom picture.
- It is revealed that Paula's mother (Michelle's sister) is named "Lucy."
- Shawn and Gus find Paula's secret diary hidden in her room. She wrote in Latin in the diary because she was aware that someone was reading it.
- As Father Westley (Ray Wise) helps them decode the diary, they learn that Paula was possibly seeing someone other than her boyfriend; first initial "J."
- There is a reference to the fact that the town has a bar called "the Roadhouse."
- Shawn comments on the fact that the town has an extraordinary number of secret relationships going on.
- When Father Westley shows up in town, his hair has turned white (he was trying to cover up some grey and went too far, it turns out).
- When Bob lights a match to start the fireplace, there is a Lynchian close-up shot of him lighting the match.
- In the last scene, the jukebox in the Sawmill Diner is playing Julee Cruise's "Kool Kat Walk."
- In the diner, we see James wearing a red leisure suit, a black eyepatch, and dancing in a similar manner to the Man from Another Place.
- Dana Ashbrook's outfit in the final scene is straight out of Bobby Briggs' wardrobe, and he walks/grooves backwards throughout the scene in a similar manner to the scene in front of the high school in FWWM.
- There is a giant in the diner, dressed exactly like the Giant from TP.
- Carlton looks and acts exactly like Agent Cooper, from his wardrobe to his hair to his mannerisms and his rhapsodizing about the cider.
- There is a man in a football helmet repeatedly banging his head against the diner counter.
- Randy barks just like Bobby did in the pilot.
- Michelle is doing a dreamy dance similar to Audrey's dance.
- This wasn't on the transmitted version, but in the version they screened at the Paley Center the other night, the end credits were done over a shot of Paula Merral's prom photo with the "Laura Palmer's Theme"-type music, exactly like the old TP end credits.
Last edited by TheArm on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Wow! Great list! I've only watched it once, but I do remember a bag or two of cotton balls in Sheryl Lee's office!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Here's that great Julee Cruise theme again...

Also very nice and interesting to see that last night's episode saw a ratings surge for "Psych," according to TV by the Numbers, who had this to say:

"The Psych "Twin Peaks"homage episode saw a ratings peak, its 1.3 adults 18-49 rating was up 30% from its last episode before Thanksgiving and it added about 500,000 average viewers." (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/1 ... more/74110)
Last edited by TheArm on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.